Cc'ers In Minneapolis/st. Paul Area ... Are You Ok????

Lounge By cakesbyjess Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm by SueW

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:11am
post #1 of 33

Oh my gosh ... I have been glued to CNN all night. For anyone who doesn't know, a huge bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis (the I-35 bridge) collapsed (in two places) into the river last night around 6:00 PM CST. 7 people are confirmed dead, but there were at least 50 cars floating in the river. The pictures and video footage are horrifying. My heart breaks for everyone who has been affected by this tragedy. The news reports are saying that there will probably be many more fatalities discovered in the next few days. There are normally 8 lanes of traffic open, but there was construction going on, so thankfully only 2 lanes were open. They are saying that there are no indications that this was terrorism, but I have this horrible nagging feeling in my head that it may have been. Can you imagine?!?! Anyway, my thoughts go out to any of you who have missing/hurt loved ones or are affected by this.

32 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:25am
post #2 of 33

Father, we pray for all the families of the people that are hurt or missing in the tragedy, In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:48am
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

Father, we pray for all the families of the people that are hurt or missing in the tragedy, In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

Amen

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:13am
post #4 of 33

Just turned the tv on to CNN. icon_eek.gif

My prayers also go out to the victims, their families, friends and loved ones.

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:16am
post #5 of 33

I am just dreading what we'll hear and see at first light. I just heard that there are at least 20 people unaccounted for. It's just so sad.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:17am
post #6 of 33

I've seen pics in the news sites and it looks horiffic....hope everyone is safe.

((((HUGS))))

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 33

Did you guys see the school bus on the bridge? They said it had 60 kids on it (some as young as 4) and they are ALL ok. Some bumps and bruises, but ok. Talk about a miracle!
I heard this morning that there are 4 CONFIRMED dead, but there are still 30 or so people unaccounted for. There are several cars in the water that they can't get to yet, and there is no way of knowing how many people are in those cars.....I can't imagine what their families are going through. My heart goes out to them!!
Did the construction they were doing on the bridge contribute to the fall? I think they have ruled out terrorism, but how could this happen?

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 33

As a neighbor in Wisconsin, and only about 4 hours away from this, I am still trying to get in touch with a few business associates that I deal with for work.........I too, am praying for those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy.......words cannot express the sorrow we feel for the victims and their families........

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 33

Here!!

I'll be honest, the station that the CNN footage is coming from is very much politicized and opinionated instead of the other stations in town (some that are normally first to blame EVERYthing on global warming and climate change) that are strictly sticking to the facts and not editorializing. The best channel for sticking to the facts has been the ABC affiliate here (KSTP) and secondly to that the CBS affiliate (WCCO). They've(KSTP) been doing a live stream since last night and at no point have I heard them playing the blame game, or sensationalizing anything. This isn't a time to be blaming an administration when they're handling the situation BEAUTIFULLY here (I grew up in a fire dept/sheriff's dept family, you can't ask for a better response! especially with everyone and their brother from the FBI, FEMA, NTSB, EPA, outside departments, etc. coming in here to work with the investigation into what caused it and help get people recovered). Their emergency and disaster preparedness plan is working as close as one in real life could be to a simulation.. The only downer was the Red Cross's media face (who used to be a TV Producer)who took the opportunity to turn it into a fundraising drive at the news conferences.

The reason they're confirming only four is because that is how many bodies they currently have. There are more in the water yet and some unknowns (like the Tasty semi driver whose truck was on fire that you saw).. There are some gals from another message board I go to here locally that have friends who are not accounted for yet. There are approximately 20 people they still don't know about their whereabouts.

One of the gals who was in our wedding, her Dad had driven over that bridge between 4:30 & 5:00 yesterday on his way home. The disaster could have been SO much worse than what it was. Had that section of road not been closed off for resurfacing and normal scheduled maintenance, had a tanker train car (think the ones that carry propane, but who knows if it was that or another chemical) been under the bridge instead of just before/past it. Had the colapse happened at 5:00 instead of at the tail end of rush hour. It's a very sad tragedy, but things could have been so much worse than it was. The people who witnessed the fall didn't flinch to react and call 911, first aid and CPR certified people in the area ran in to help, adults ran over to get over to the bus to help get kids out, strangers let the kids from the bus use their cell phones to call their parents to say they were o.k., to help people out of the water, people who started CPR on a drowning victim, etc. They're who saved lives (or at least gave people a chance) before rescue personnel arrived on the scene because it was a difficult to navigate scene because of the way the structure fell.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 33

I am safe. My husband has been doing the coverage for CNN. He worked a 15 hour day late last night after working all day.He did not sleep at all. Thank you so much for all your concern. I work about ten minutes from the bridge.

moydear77 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 33

PS
They had divers reading the license plates under the water to figure out who owns the car. Very sad situation.

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 33

Mary Ann and CoutureCake ... I'm very glad to hear you're both OK.

I agree that CNN has seemed a bit politicized, so I've also been watching other channels to try to get more unbiased news. While I agree that the whole situation was handled very well and could have been much, much worse (all 8 lanes open, in winter with freezing waters, tanker trucks with flammable gases, school buses falling, etc.), it's still a very, very sad situation.

I have been hearing a lot about how the whole infrastructure of the country is in bad, bad shape, and that 80,000 bridges - 13% of all bridges - (one of which is this one that collapsed yesterday) in this country are deemed "structurally deficient". That is appalling. I mean, think about all of the airplane, railway, road, bridge, power, etc., etc., etc., issues there are. There was a U.S. Infrastructure report card given in 2005, and the highest grade was a C. The bridge system was given a D. That is shocking and unacceptable. I think the shock and outrage at those statistics should be felt regardless of your political affiliation and personal beliefs.

Anyway, off my soapbox and back to being very sad about this tragedy.

BeckySue Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #13 of 33

Glad to hear that you all are ok - it has only been 24 hours since this happened, yet it seems like a week already. There were miracles on that bridge (still can't believe that all those school kids are ok).....and things could have been much worse than they are...but still I feel sick when I think of the people still waiting for their loved ones to be found and recovered. I saw an interview with a man who's fiance was on the phone with her friend when the friend said, "The bridge is collapsing!" They have not heard from her since. I hope they are able to find everyone - and that the rescue workers come out ok. The current in the river must be tough to fight against.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:39am
post #14 of 33

How could this happen in our country? I don't understand.

God bless all those affected.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #15 of 33

I'm glad you two are okay. Are there any other CC members from that area?

We're keeping everyone affected in our prayers.
Kathi

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #16 of 33

I'm glad you guys are OK....was happy to read it because I was hoping that no CCers were hurt or missing.

What a horrible tragedy..

moydear77 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

How could this happen in our country? I don't understand.

God bless all those affected.

I truly think it was just a terrible accident. They have ruled out any terrorism from what I understand. There was another small collapse in California just recently. It could have been a million things gone wrong. We had some very hot days and cool days. The design of the bridge was somewhat free standing. There is a lock dam right next to it.....get the point. I have driven over that bridge countless times. My husband left for round two of media circus. CNN here he comes.

biberbob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biberbob Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:59am
post #18 of 33

I'm okay too. It is a very scary thing that happened and now my little girls(2and5) say that they will never go on a bridge because it might fall. If my little girls are feeling this way i hate to even think what the families closer to this situation are going through. I just want to say all affected are in my thoughts and prayers.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:59am
post #19 of 33

Praying all the families still waiting will find comfort in some way. Holding them all close in prayer.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #20 of 33

My heart simply sunk when I heard about this. My prayers go out to everyone affected and connected. It's a life-changing ordeal and it really makes you realize just how precious time and those close to you are. I don't personally know anyone there but I truly hope and pray that peace will be found in such a tragic event. Hugs and kisses you guys....many hugs and kisses!!

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:11am
post #21 of 33

My heart is breaking just thinking of the families that are waiting to hear what they must know by now will only be bad news. I can't imagine what they are going through and can only pray. I am so glad that you all are allright that are there. Let's just all remember to be thankful, ok? God bless the families of the victims. Linda

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:15am
post #22 of 33

Thank you all so much for the prayers. I live just outside of Minneapolis, about 10 minutes from where the bridge collapsed. As you can see it is just a horrible, horrible sight.

Luckily all of my friends and family are so far accounted for. The cell phone lines were jammed for hours, my kids are with their grandparents out of town and were just about out of their minds. Again, I am so blessed, so blessed, so blessed today. I hugged everyone I knew.

One co-worker passed over the bridge at 5:45, 15 minutes before it gave in.

Thank you for praying for our city. Looks like we will be going through a lot in the near future.

lchristi27 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

I truly think it was just a terrible accident. They have ruled out any terrorism from what I understand. There was another small collapse in California just recently. It could have been a million things gone wrong. We had some very hot days and cool days. The design of the bridge was somewhat free standing. There is a lock dam right next to it.....get the point. I have driven over that bridge countless times. My husband left for round two of media circus. CNN here he comes.

Tell your husband how we appreciate him keeping us connected to what is going on.

I'm taking some online college courses and just read that one of the faculty of the school is among the 8 people that are now still missing.

Anyone wanting to read some of the local info, here are a few good websites:
www.startribune.com

http://www.kare11.com/

http://www.kstp.com/

I too believe it was a horrible accident, and not one of terrorism. Horrible tragedy no matter what. I hope they can determine the cause and give some of these families answers they will be looking soon.

CoutureCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:50am
post #24 of 33

FYI... Moy's hubby works with the thumbs_up.gif engineering thumbs_up.gif (aka the guys that REALLY make sure people are on the air and look like pretty faces), my comments were directed to the thumbsdown.gif "Talent" thumbsdown.gif ..

The only person I believe we haven't heard from yet is Gateaux... She's here in MN too and over on that side of the cities..

lchristi27 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:58am
post #25 of 33

Anyone wanting to help, the red cross is in desperate need of blood here. I dont know if they can get it from other cities/states or not.

I'm going tomorrow, last two times I gave I passed out. But will just make sure I have a ride home when I'm done.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:35am
post #26 of 33

We have to pray for the rescue workers also, having the grim task of finding loved ones. That takes a toll on them, I'm sure.

CoutureCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:42am
post #27 of 33

I agree Wilton... I think what probably is causing them more grief is knowing where bodies are needing to be recovered specifically but that because of safety they can't get there from here. All of the men and women working on that part of the task are just like the rest of us and want to make sure that those families get the closure they deserve!

lchristi27 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:33pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

The only person I believe we haven't heard from yet is Gateaux... She's here in MN too and over on that side of the cities..

Has anyone heard from her yet???

BeckySue Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:42pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

CoutureCake wrote:

Has anyone heard from her yet???

Gateaux, sweetie, if you are out there give us a hello so we know you are ok!! Our prayers are with you and all our CC friends in MN.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #30 of 33

Here too, thanks for thinking of me.

I got a message from Sandie too and she is fine as well.

Everyone I checked with is good do far.

My DH's boss, who was biking home decided to take the 10th street bridge instead that night, and he got to that bridge at 6:15 and stayed for a while. He said that once he got home he could really see the devastation much more than at the site.

I just want to take a moment to say a huge thank you to all of those who worked and volunteered to help everyone. All the survivor were fortunate to have so many good people helping them.

CoutureCake, thanks for all the details you wrote above, I agree there was no much miss information in the media. Just glad that locally the information seemed more accurate.

It was a very sad day for everyone.

All the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%