Urgent: Need Bc Recipe Without Butter...

Decorating By dizzy94 Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm by chelleb1974

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 12

Ok my soon to be 18 yr old son wants a dragon cake. I am going to decorate it with buttercream frosting since I used it for the first time and now I can never go back to canned which is what I usually used because I can find that dairy free. However, this cake will not work with canned I just know it so now I have to figure out how to get the right consistency using butter flavored crisco instead of butter so he can actually eat his cake. He is not lactose intolerant he is dairy allergic so he will get migrane and asthma if he has dairy...PLEASE help this cake is really important!

Thanks
Melanie

11 replies
smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 12

i've never used butter flavored crisco for this recipe, but i think it would work the same:
1 c. of crisco
2-3 Tbls. of water (can dissolve a little salt into it to cut sweetness)
1 teaspoon vanilla (can add a little almond flavoring to cut sweetness)
4 c. powdered sugar
Cream together the crisco, water and flavorings. then gradually add powdered sugar and mix together on low speed if you have a stand mixer

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 12

you can make Wiltons' class buttercream......just crisco, sugar, and water.............

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 12

I use...

1 lb of powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco
1 tsp flavoring
1 TBSP meriugne powder
enough water to get desired consistency

cream the crisco, flavoring, and some water; add the sugar and merigune poweder, continue mixing and add water as needed.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 12

3 cups regular Crisco
4 lbs powdered sugar
4 tablespoons meringue powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
2 teaspoons butter flavoring
2 teaspoons almond flavoring
1 cup water

I don't know if it will work well with butter flavored Crisco. I've never tried using that kind.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 12

Hi Melanie,
I used to use Wilton's all shortening recipe for BC before switching to the 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening. It should work just fine for you! It holds up well too for decorating.
Hope this helps:

Double Batch (I always make a double because they you won't run out and you can save any leftover!):
2 cups shortening
2 tbls meringue powder
4 teaspoons vanilla (or to taste like me!)
5-6 tbls water (vary for desired consistency)
2 lbs powdered sugar

I cream together the shortening and vanilla then add the meringue powder and gradually add the sugar and water until all the sugar is in and it is at the consistency I need.
HeatherMari

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 12

Yields 3 cups

1 cup Vegetable Shortening (Butter flavor Crisco will work nicely)
1# Confectioner's Sugar
1 t vanilla flavor
2 T milk (or substitute) or water
1 T meringue Powder

This make stiff frosting which is perfect for roses. To thin to the correct consistency to frost a cake with, add 2 teaspoons of additional liquid for each cup of stiff consistency icing.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 12

I use the same as all4cake listed above, but if you use butter flavored Crisco, leave out the butter flavoring.

Good luck!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 12

good morning icon_smile.gif

i just wanted to say that i think it is totally amazing that all of you were able to come up with a recipe that quick....by the time i scrolled down to the end, i still hadn't thought of anything to help with icon_smile.gif you guys are amazing thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 12

I use the Wilton buttercream recipe using the butter flavored crisco sticks. They work great and you get a nice butter flavor to it. Keep in mind though, that the icing will not be white, like it is when you use regular shortening.

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 11:24am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all so much!! I am going with the regular crisco to keep it white. I think what I was missing was the meringue powder to get the right consistancy.

Now I am excited to try this, it will be great if he can have the cakes I make!

I will post a pic when I am done with the cake next week. I have to shop this morning for ingredients so I needed a list.

I am going to make the dragon for the top of the cake out of rice crispy bars, yep I have been watching Ace of Cakes LOL thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again everyone
Melanie

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 12

I use the class buttercream recipe and adjust it a little.

This makes 3 cups of icing:

1 cup crisco (I use trans fat free)
1 lb confectioner sugar (I weigh it out)
dash of salt (To cut sweetness) - I mix it into the sugar after sifting the sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1 drop of lemon oil (cuts sweetness - does not effect flavor) - ONLY USE 1 DROP - I use a coffe stirrer/straw to measure the drop
2 tablespoons water for Stiff Icing
4 tablespoons water for Medium Icing
6 tablespoons water for Thin Icing

1 tablespoon meringue powder (I only use meringue powder in the summer when there is the chance that the icing might melt, otherwise I omit it and it crusts fine.

HTH,
Chelle

edited to add: sometimes I also add a drop of orange oil in addition to the drop of lemon oil. It gives the BC a nice flavor without it tasting like lemon or orange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%