How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By eatCakes Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 2:51am by eatCakes

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:39am
post #1 of 12

Just curious, how much would you pay for this cake?

Chocolate fudge cake, 7 inches in diameter (about a foot tall), 2 layer bottom and solid half sphere top. Cookies and cream filling, buttercream covered. "Cupcake liner", "sprinkles" and "cherry" are all chocolate clay.
LL

11 replies
dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:29am
post #2 of 12

Wow...this is such a hard topic! I think that you have to consider where you live and what the going rate is for cakes in your area. You have a lot of custom work on this one, so that would add up. Sometimes it helps me to itemize things on a spreadsheet to come up with a price. For example:

size of cake x per serving price = ?
price for filling = ?
price for chocolate clay decorations (be sure to charge for your time) = ?

I hope this helps you come up with a price! I usually undercharge people, so that is something I am working on. Again, the spreadsheet helps me see what I really put into a cake!

Good luck, and CUTE cake! You did a great job!

CakesByGraebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByGraebe Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:45am
post #3 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif I live in the Sacramento area of California. Cakes can be very expensive here. I charge a flat fee of $3.50 per slice plain (no difficult decorations) or $4.50 a slice with fondant including any filling they want. This seems to be less expensive than most bakeries. If they want labor intensive decorating, I charge $25.00 per hour additional. I would check your local area for average cake prices. Remember to take into consideration the time you spend getting supplies, delivery and set up etc. I don't charge for any local set up and let everyone use my fountains, pillars, accent candles, drapes, etc for free but ask that they return them in same condition they were presented in. Has worked out well for 3 years. Fortunately, it's a hobby and all word of mouth. I can pick and choose (averaging about 1 wedding cake a month). Hope this helps!

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:55am
post #4 of 12

This is a really cool cake thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif , how many people would you think to serve with it? to work out my costs, I have a general rule, that I try to keep to (most of the time!) i work out how much the cake cost to make and then charge 3X worth. that will cover the cost of the cake and a good return without being too overpricing. That's my theory so far and it seems to work well for me! I generally make cakes that cost no more than around $60. I don't charge for the time it takes to make the cakes yet because i just really enjoy making them, but you might like to factor it in to your price. I probably underprice too, but this general rule seems to work for me. Or you could just try charging around the $2.00 mark per slice?
Good luck it looks fab, can't believe it's 1ft tall!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:01am
post #5 of 12

I would charge between $40 - $45.

: )

That's my short answer, LOL.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:08am
post #6 of 12

Ditto to all!!

mommyof5kidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyof5kidz Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:16am
post #7 of 12

I , too, would hit the $40~$45 area.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:17am
post #8 of 12

$45 - $50. I'm in CA though, but honestly, there's 3 cakes, 1 batch of clay, and the rest of the ingredients, but the uniqueness of the cake.
S.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:23am
post #9 of 12

I'd say $60 - $65. Take that picture to a real bakery (not grocery store or Wal Mart, they won't even touch it)and ask them for a quote...I bet it will be more than that even! icon_smile.gif It's really, really cute.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:29am
post #10 of 12

Oh, I wasn't paying enough attention about the chocolate clay. I up my price in that case. $55.

sbarri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbarri Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 12

i say $40-50...cute design!!!

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everybody! I happen to live in a smallish town in Iowa and no actual bakeries around here even do stuff like this. The fanciest that our Walmart gets is a hamburger cake that looks about 75% nasty icing, and our grocery store bakery JUST started doing fondant, so I'm on my own here! icon_smile.gif Kind of good, kind of bad.

Thanks everybody for their advice, I think I really need to go ahead and get cakeboss!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%