Question: Freezing/thawing Cakes Before Decorating

Decorating By caprica Updated 25 Nov 2015 , 2:58am by efatrie

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #1 of 19

Hello - icon_confused.gif
I've recently learned that you can freeze and thaw cakes prior to decorating. Could anyone please explain this process to me? I'm unsure how long to thaw the cake, wondering if it effects the texture (get's squishy), etc. How should they be wrapped prior to freezing?
Please feel free to give as much info as you'd like, 'cause I'm clueless on this dunce.gif , but am interested in learning to save time and not have to rush around the night before.

thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #2 of 19

I wrap it in saran wrap and freeze. When I need it, I just lay it on the counter. it thaws in just 2-3 hours .... not long at all. I leave the saran on while it's thawing.

I pulled two out of the freezer today for a sampling appt. One of them had been in there a couple of months. Tasted as fresh as the day I put it in there.

moodswinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moodswinger Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:27am
post #3 of 19

There are so many great talents on this site, so I am sure you will get tons of great responses. I will tell you how I do it. I make the cakes 4-5 days in advance, (if I have a large order) and I will wrap the cakes with darnell wrap(a very good plastic wrap), then I freeze them. Then, to decorate them, I unwrap and cut, or torte, or carve. Then I will ice them. I don't wait for them to thaw, because I find it easier to ice and smooth when they are still frozen. I have had wonderful cakes, since starting to do this way. The cakes are very moist, and the icing seems to be smoother. Hope all of this helps, and I'm sure you'll do great! Take Care!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #4 of 19

Well I have froze and thawed cakes. But during the heat you need to be completely thawed to prevent sweating..... I freeze on flat baking sheets & wrap the tops of the cakes in paper towel bottom still has parchment on it, then plasticwrap, then tin foil......

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:51am
post #5 of 19

I have only froze one cake, so I am no expert. I wrapped the cake in saran or plastic wrap, then I wraped it in tin foil then froze it.I took it out the night before I needed it ( before I went to bed) and just opened the tin foil but left the plastic still wrapped. Then the next morning when I was ready to decorate I took the plastic off.
The cake was super moist and in my opnion tasted better than when baked the same day.
HTH

dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #6 of 19

I freeze many of my cakes because cake decorating is a hobby for me, so I can only bake in the evenings after work. I bake the cakes, cool them, and then level them. I level them so that when I take them out to thaw and decorate, I am ready to go. I put them on boards or even divider plates. I wrap them with clear plastic wrap (I love the Glad wrap that is sticky) and put them in the freezer. The day I need them, I take them out and uncover them to thaw. They come out so moist!

The first time I took a formal cake decorating class, the instructor who owned the shop told us that she didn't like to sell cakes that she DIDN'T freeze. She believed the freezing made them extra moist.

I have had great luck with freezing my cakes, and it allows you to plan out your baking. I love how much time it saves me, and often couldn't do cakes for people unless I froze them ahead of time. Good luck!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:53am
post #7 of 19

I was a skeptic when it came to freezing cakes but I have experimented a bit and it works very well. Just wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I thaw in the fridge and take out from the fridge about an hour before I ice. I had a cake in the the freezer since april and this past weekend I thawed and iced. The taste was stunning.....even my kids who don't normally eat cake enjoyed it.

Good luck

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:04am
post #8 of 19

I freeze most of my cakes. The ones I don't do not taste as good as those that have been frozen icon_smile.gif All I do is wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer. I have an upright freezer that is used only for my cake decorating biz so no worry of them tasting like something else - KWIM?

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 19

Ill have to try that. I usually just bake them and decorate the same day. If I had more orders then I will have to freeze them.

Good Luck ,
icon_smile.gif

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 19

THANKS EVERYONE! You are the best! thumbs_up.gif

I appreciate all your help- and now I'm so excited to be able to freeze multiple cakes ahead of time- and just ice when I'm ready.

thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 19

I wrap in plastic wrap and then heavy foil. I usually tort prior to freezing so I can just take out of the freezer, fill and frost. The only time I've had a problem with frosting a frozen cake is when it's hot/humid. Like tiptop57 said - the sweating can cause problems. I almost freeze my cakes and people that swear they don't like frozen cakes love mine! icon_surprised.gif)

Debbie

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 19

I let them cool, put onto a cake board, wrap in Saran wrap, then aluminum foil, then into a plastic garbage or grocery bag. All of my cakes are frozen, and I get great feedback........When thawing, I take out of the garbage bag, and let them thaw with the saran and foil on, so the moisture collects on the outside of it. If you have large cakes, you could also torte and fill while frozen, wrap them back up, and let thaw.

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 19

I let my cake cool completely, about 2 hours, on a cooling rack. I wrap each layer in foil, then put the foil-wrapped cake into a large zip-lock bag. My level of expertise involves only 8-9" rounds, so these fit great into the gallon-sized zip-lock bags.

I then stack them in my freezer. I let them thaw about 1.5 - 2 days in my refrigerator and level/tort them while cold (less breakage when cold).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by camillethecat

I let them thaw about 1.5 - 2 days in my refrigerator and level/tort them while cold (less breakage when cold).

oh my gosh, i'm not organized enough to take cakes out of the freezer 2 days ahead of time! icon_lol.gif

joy christner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy christner Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 19

what do you use to cut them with. I tried to cut a frozen cake and had a hard time keeping the knife  stright

nikkigladney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigladney Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 19

AI freeze all of my cakes but I fill and ice them most of the time prior to freezing them. This also helps with keeping them very moist. I don't think I would freeze a cake with fruit in it. In that case I would still use a Frozen cake...I just would use one that has not been frosted(iced) yet. I would thaw a little, fill it and then ice it. Put in fridge to firm up and then put fondant on it. But this is just one woman's opinion.

efatrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efatrie Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 1:23am
post #17 of 19

May I ask if we can freeze any kind of cake? I don't have time to try out, so was wondering if any cake would get squishy in texture after freezing?

Thanks! :)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 19

@efatrie Yes, you can freeze any kind of cake. I'm not sure what you mean by "squishy".  I'm not sure what you mean by "squishy".  The cakes should be soft but they should not be damp.

efatrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efatrie Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 2:58am
post #19 of 19

Thanks @pastrybaglady! I meant to ask if the cake layers would become soggy, or if the texture would change after freezing :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%