Roses On A Stick

Decorating By llj68 Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 11:58pm by stephanie214

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 10:59am
post #1 of 13

OK--I've gotta know. HOW do you do a rose on a stick?

When I took my Wilton classes, she showed us how to make them on a toothpick for really tiny ones. Is the technique the same? Basically making the petals from the top down at the end of the toothpick and then sliding it off with parchment from the bottom?

If so, what kind of stick do you use? Just a dowel rod? Any particular tip or is 104 (etc) fine for it.

Thanks so much!! Any info is appreciated!!

Lisa

12 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 11:08am
post #2 of 13

give me your email and I will see if I can explain better...and send you what I have on how to do them.

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 13

You can pm Turtleshell...she told me about it over the phone but that was me calling her from England. She is very helpful and I believe she even posted it. She learned it at her DOS that was done and I believe that she posted it.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrema

You can pm Turtleshell...she told me about it over the phone but that was me calling her from England. She is very helpful and I believe she even posted it. She learned it at her DOS that was done and I believe that she posted it.

I searched it and all I got was talk about it not how it was done. I think it sounds really cool since I have problems with my centers "melting". Figured without a center--no melting. lol!

I pmed flavyurd. Thanks for the info.

Lisa

tcrema Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 13

Ok I like you can't find the post now. But that is ok I will try to explain it. I believe what she told me is you make the little loopdie doo thing like you would around the base around the stick. Then you make your 3 petals, 5, and 7 and viola you have roses on a stick! I sure hope this helps...AND TINA if you are reading this let her know if it is correct. I want to say that she said Ntertainme taught her...not sure though! GOOD LUCK

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 13

This sounds interesting...
Never heard of making a rose on a stick before..
cakegal

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 13

So, do you keep the rose on the stick? Sorry, I don't think I have ever heard of that before.

tcrema Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 13

you make the little loopy thing around the tip of like a dowl rod or lollipop stick and then you do it from there... your frosting should be thick enough already that you wont have to worry about it staying on. I thought how the heck is that going to stay until I tried it and was like hum...that really works! Sorry I can't offer more advice. I talked to TCturtleshell and she said she will post on this. GOOD LUCK and happy decorating~!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 13

ok.. at the DOS at tcturtleshell's house we used sucker sticks. Hold the stick with one hand. You hold the bag (with tip 104 or larger) with the big end down and while lightly touching the tip of the stick, wrap one "petal" completely around the tip. You should turn the stick as you squeeze the bag with your other hand. Then angle your tip out slightly. The base of your tip should be slightly underneath (but touching) the base of the wrapped "petal". Make 3 more petals. Then make 5 more petals around those. Keep making petals until your roses is as big as you would like. Then place a pair of open scissors (or that little rose lifter tool that we learned about) at the base of your rose and lift it off the stick. I hope I explained that good enough.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 13

Great directions Misdawn! I didn't see this post till tcrema told me about it. That tool lifter thing is metal & looks like one of Edward Scissorhands fingers. It is so easy to lift the rose off of the lollipop stick. I tried it w/ a dowel rod too but the dowel was too big. The rose kept slipping off.

To add to Misdawn's directions... Sharpen the lollipop just a little at the end. You can use whatever size tip you want to use. We used 101 & 104. It is a whole lot better this way then making the center w/ BC & going around it like Wilton taught us all. The center melts & falls over EVERYTIME I make a rose that way.

After you're finished making the rose you get the metal thing & pick up the rose, lay it down on wax paper. You'll have to push the rose off ever so lightly w/ another lollipop stick. Or you can put it directly onto your cake. If you lay it no the wax paper pop it in the freezer till you need it. Just pick it up again w/ the metal thing & lay it on the cake. I would add a pic of the metal thing but my scanner is broken. Maybe Misdawn or Ntertayneme can add it!!

If you need more info just ask. We'll try to help~

OH... Some decorator's might not agree w/ this but I'm going to mention it anyway... You guys know how your roses will sometimes feather out. Well I did an experiment after my DOS. The reason I get the feathering is because I am not turning my wrist the right way. It's hard for me to hold my wrist the right way but when making roses I make it go the correct way. I didn't have any feathering rose petals. Some people say the feathering is because of the consistency of the icing. I don't believe that anymore. You can make a rose w/ any consistency & make it look good!

GOOD LUCK!!!

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:10am
post #11 of 13

I do my roses on a dowel rod. I just use the ones that Wilton makes and sharpen the end of it. It takes a lot of practise but the roses are bigger than you could make on a nail.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 4:11am
post #12 of 13

Hi TC,

You mentioned your roses feathering on the edges and changing the way you hold your wrist. How do you hold your wrist to avoid the feathering problem?

I have tried everything else in the book....thicker/thinner icing, gel, opening my tip, etc. but nothing has worked for me.

Thanks,

Cindy

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 13

One of the cake decorators at Food Lion taught me how to do this on a stick. Only thing, she used a retractable pencil. I loved this way, but was trying to stick with the Wilton Rose because I need more practice. If you use cornstarch on your stick and fingers the roses will slide right off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%