[B]Making Mmf/fondant Bows[/b]

Decorating By amanda113 Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm by amanda113

amanda113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amanda113 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:26am
post #1 of 4

How do i make an large MMF or fondant bow for the top of my cakes? Does the fondant have to be left to dry?

3 replies
Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #2 of 4

Yes the fondant needs to dry. It helps to put some extra gumtex or tylose powder into the fondant to assist in the drying, especially if the weather is humid.

For either type of bow (bow tie or loopy present bow), you will need to put saran wrap, foil, or parchment paper into the loops to help them retain their shape while drying. If you look at the bottom of the home page, there is a tutorial for making the bow tie. PM me if you have any further questions.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #3 of 4

Here is a tutorial link for making them.
http://cakecentral.com/article103-How-To-Make-a-Gumpaste-Bow.html
If you want the big ones with lots of loops...Make about 6 strips of fondant/gum paste in 7-8" lengths, 6 in a 5-6" length, 4-6 in a 3-4" length and a couple small ones and one for the final "loop". take each strip, and gently fold one end to the other making a loop without making any creases. Add some tissue inside loop to keep it from falling and attach with piping gel or some sort of fondant glue. Do this to all of you strips and let dry on a cornstarch dusted board overnight or even better for a few days so they dry really good. Then just place one cake starting with the larger loops first, then the next row of smaller ones, so on... just attach with piping gel or some sort of fondant glue. They are really easy! Good luck-there is also step by step instructions of this method I just explained to you in the Wilton fondant book.

amanda113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amanda113 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%