How Many Cookie Cutters Do You Have?

Baking By southaustingirl Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 1:00pm by cookiecreations

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 45

Which is the most unusual shape? Most expensive? Most favorite cutter? Most favorite place to purchase cutters?

I have no idea how many cutters I have......guess I should have counted before posting this question icon_biggrin.gif

The most I have paid for a cutter was $4.99 for a 3 tier wedding cake cutter. My favorite is.....that's a hard one. I like my scalloped circle. And I like Foose Cookie Cutters.

44 replies
tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 45

I probably have close to 75 cookie cutters.... My favorite is my scalloped heart and star (something about those scallops huh?!) LOL. I've paid 9.99 for some of my cutters. And I really like www.kitchengifts.com and www.foosecookiecutters.com thumbs_up.gif

gpe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gpe Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 45

icon_redface.gif Couple hundred
And that is after I thinned out the totes this summer ...

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 45

Hundreds! I used to belong to that cookie cutter club,Great American Cookie Collection.

I collect them.

My favorites so far are my copper onsie and the Christmas ones from Crate & Barrel I got half price after Christmas last year. I also have a favorite gingerbread man that I got many years ago. I haven't seen one like it again ever. Good thing I bought three of them.(It's plastic)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 45

Hundreds....I buy them all the time cause yah never know when you'll need a certain one!!!

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 45

Last time I checked I was at around 600. I have ordered some more since then and need to update my spreadsheets. It's the only way I can keep track of what I have and what I've ordered.

My favorites are a mermaid, the onsie and a single birthday candle. Oh, and of course Frankenstein. Although, the latest pirate collection from Foose are way cute. I just haven't gotten around to making those samples yet.

I'm an addict. Have been for years. It's all my mom's fault. Cookies were our thing while growing up. Only they're not just for Christmas anymore.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 45

127.....that is nothing compared to some of you! My question is, how do you store them so you can actually find the one you want when you want it? I saw a show with them all up on nails on the wall......wouldn't that be nice? icon_smile.gif

ngarza07 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 45

I keep mine in my cookie closet. My computer room at home has a small closet - only 6-7 feet wide. It's been redone with shelving only. I keep my cutters in clear plastic shoe boxes labeled by type/style cutters. I also keep my oversized baking pans in there and all the foam. ribbon, shredds and containers for my bouquets. It's starting to get a bit full. I'm working my way into our hall closet. That's twice as long as my computer rooms and it currently holds movies and junk. The junk has got to get to the attic to make room for cookie supplies.

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 45

Where can I get the onesie cookie cutter??? I've seen it done before and it is sooooo cute!!!! If I can't find it, do I just use a knife and cut the shape out?? TIA

ngarza07 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 45

TIA,

The metal onsie cutter is real cheap from foosecookiecutters.com

There is a copper one available form coppergifts - it's like 10 bucks.

I have the metal one. I have a copper one I made a year or so ago and it's a lot bigger than the metal. The Foose one is a great size and works well.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 45

A bijillion! They are taking over...ahhhhhhh!

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 45

I have a designated drawer in my kitchen for my cookie cutters. Favorite place to buy them is garage sales ... oh so cheap!

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 45

I have about 260 in total and would like more.
I do a lot of cookies and they are fun to do.
I store mine in clear boxes well labelled so I dont'over buy ones that I already have and I too have a spread sheet so when someone asks for a specific cutter I can check the sheet.

COOKIES ROCK!!!!!!!!

Kathy

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:33pm
post #14 of 45

I have around 250 and the strangest one is a large tennis shoe--made it in jr high school???? I am always still looking for more!

southaustingirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 45

I forgot to count my cookie cutters last night! Anyway, I keep them in gallon size zip lock stoage bags and they are labled. I also have an inventory list of the cutters.....so I don't buy the same one forty times!

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 11:50am
post #16 of 45

If you all make so many cookies with all of your many cutters.....what reciepe do you guys use??? I just tried the No Fails with Antonia74s icing....little dry to me and not a lot of flavor but I did only use vanilla...would almond extract have made them better?? Thanks for the info about the onesie cutter!!!!

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:59pm
post #17 of 45

No fail cookie recipe it rocks. Buttery flavor and have had a lot of great revues or should I say ummy comments.

Kathy

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 45

Wow! i wish cookies were big in england.
A whole cupboard just for cookie cutters thats a lot of cutters and cookies.
I'm yet to try cookies have you got any good tips and advice for a complete begginer.

X

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 45

I probably have about 150. I love the flowers best I think but the star is a close 2nd. I would love to have a better way of organizing them and I have a vision of the boards with all the holes in it and then putting those things used to hang drapes in the holes on the board then you could easily hang your cutters. Hmmmm now where can I get dh to hang that board fo me??
Melissa

MaryJanesGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryJanesGoodies Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 45

I have 1400 cookie cutters!icon_biggrin.gif I know a lady that has over 39,000. She is Joyce Moorhouse....her husband Al Moorhouse makes them too. He started because she collects them. The most I have paid is $19.00 for one. If I was made of money I would buy Simon's Cutters which can be around $90.00. My friend Jan just had his elf one named after her!!!! Making cookies today by the way!!!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 45

I love the No Fails with almond extract. They are my favorites. I've done them all way.

Another favorite of mine is "Melissa's Gingerbread" from the Martha Stewart Christmas book. It is like no other, a little putzy to make, but so tasty and strong.

ngarza07 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:39pm
post #22 of 45

MaryJane,

I recently ran across Simon's cutters and fell in love with a few. I just couldn't justify the cost. But believe me, they are in the back of my head. Especially the wedding cake on the tiered platter. I can picture it now...................... And they are huge cutters too.

MaryJanesGoodies Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:41pm
post #23 of 45

Yes...I believe the Elf is 8 by 8!!! icon_biggrin.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 10:35pm
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJanesGoodies

I have 1400 cookie cutters!icon_biggrin.gif I know a lady that has over 39,000. She is Joyce Moorhouse....her husband Al Moorhouse makes them too. He started because she collects them. The most I have paid is $19.00 for one. If I was made of money I would buy Simon's Cutters which can be around $90.00. My friend Jan just had his elf one named after her!!!! Making cookies today by the way!!!

Okay, I have to show this post to my DH who thinks my couple of hundred cutters is too much.(LOL) I catalog mine too so I don't buy repeats. I store mine in colored plastic shoe boxes. My favorites are those that have multi uses-i.e. the candy corn shaped one that I use for my penquins, draculas, etc...and the pretty copper leaves and snowflakes I have.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 12:58am
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJanesGoodies

Okay, I have to show this post to my DH who thinks my couple of hundred cutters is too much.(LOL) I catalog mine too so I don't buy repeats. I store mine in colored plastic shoe boxes. My favorites are those that have multi uses-i.e. the candy corn shaped one that I use for my penquins, draculas, etc...and the pretty copper leaves and snowflakes I have.

Yankeegal, you must have been reading my mind!!! I collect them, too, and, yes, my darling hubby seems to think I have too many. I haven't counted lately, but I would estimate I own somewhere in the 300 range. icon_surprised.gif [MaryJanesGoodies, YOU ARE MY IDOL!!! 1400!!! icon_surprised.gif I can only aspire to be like you!!!]

Like many of you, I also keep mine stored in clear plastic boxes, but the sweater size. They are sorted by style/type/event (i.e., all the Valentine's Day -- hearts, lips, cupids, etc. -- are together; pine trees together; snowflakes [my favorites to look at, but not to cut out icon_lol.gif ], etc.). Boxes are labeled on the ends with a chart of the outlines of each, but reduced in size on a copy machine (helps me pick them out quickly).

Thanks for the spreadsheet idea!

I like to buy them at a great little shop in town that carries some less-than-usual (to the lay person) ones. I always look at garage sales. I shop online for them whenever I can. icon_cool.gif

The best thing about them? They're small, unique, and don't generally cost too much (although I think I paid $17.95 for a copper scarecrow several years ago from somewhere, but I can't recall). But BEST of all, they're easy to "sneak in" to the house and hide from hubby until I take it out and use it. He always says, "I didn't know you had one like this!"

Of course, I just smile and say, "oh, honey, I've had that for quite a while now"! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cookie cutters ... they're useful, adorable and SO ADDICTIVE!!! icon_lol.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 1:50am
post #26 of 45

Just a newborn compared to the rest of you guys. I have only about 50. However, I am always on the lookout for more.

eromero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eromero Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 2:29pm
post #27 of 45

I have around 200. I have metal, copper, and plastic cutters. I started out with the plastic cutters and then started ordering on the internet because I haven't found a store that sells lots of cookie cutters around here (if anyone knows of a cookie cutter place in Miami, besides Michaels, please let me know). My favorite cookie cutter is my copper ballet slipper. I have a picture of the cookies I made with it in my photos.
Elvira

MaryJanesGoodies Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm
post #28 of 45

Gosh...here I thought I didn't have that many...I have another friend who has 7000!
I keep mine in ziplock bags by theme.....Cinco De Mayo, Fantasy, Beach, Trees, Space, Retro etc. etc. (I must have 7 bags of Halloween!) Then they are stored in decorative big ice buckets above my kitchen cabniets as I have a big gap between the cabniets & the vaulted ceiling.
I inventoried them a year ago...as well as my many cake pans & candy molds.
Antique Stores have alot of cookie cutters for very inexpensive or if you join a few Sugar Art Clubs...eventually you will run across someone who is selling off their stuff & you can get alot of supplies cheap that way!
I am a member of the National Cookie Cutter Collectors Club & the California CCCC. (As well as many other clubs)
I use a basic sugar cookie receipe that I change up with melted chocolate & different flavorings like....Orange, Lime, Lemon, Almond etc.
My cookies are like "crack" as I've been told many times!!!
I started out making cakes & candy....but the past 2 years have been all about Cookies!!!
I'm making 2 Halloween Cookie Bouquets for a demo I'm doing for Sweet Arts Of Orange County on Monday. It's officially about stamping on fondant.
Hugs to all the cookie monsters out there!!!! I know I'm one....LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MaryJanesGoodies Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 2:58pm
post #29 of 45

icon_lol.gif OMG.....I just checked my inventory.....I have 1656 cutters!!! icon_eek.gif I may have a sickness.........

southaustingirl Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 12:28am
post #30 of 45

Has anyone purchased the 40 piece Halloween cutters from Michael's?

I bought it last night and there is a weird shapped cutter....I cannot figure out what it is!! I don't have a camera right now, so I can't a picture. It kinda looks like it could be logs on fire.

Anybody know??

And where can I find Simons Cutters?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%