Where To Roll Fondant?

Decorating By immortalove88 Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 12:15am by alimonkey

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I am new to cake decorating, but I love it!! I have not worked with fondant much but every time I do I have a little problem. See I roll my fondant on the wilton cake divider mat (thingy) and it is to small and I have lines, I also tried parchment paper and the same problem occured. So my question is where do you guys roll fondant so this problem does not happen?
Thanks for all your help

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 8

I use the heavy plastic 'fabric' from the fabric store. You can cut it to various sizes and it helps to transfer the fondant to your cake.

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

I use the heavy plastic 'fabric' from the fabric store. You can cut it to various sizes and it helps to transfer the fondant to your cake.

Wow, thanks I will be sure to try that.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 8

Cool, Im gonna try that too thumbs_up.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 8

I just roll mine out straight on the counter. No problems as long as you dust carefully with cornstarch (or powdered sugar), and make sure you turn the fondant a lot so it does not stick to the counter.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 8

I picked up the medium weight vinyl in the fabric department at wal-mart (thanks to a great tip here at cc) and I lOVE it!! works great and I can flip the whole thing over onto my cake and i Know I have a flat smooth side to my fondant.

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:04am
post #7 of 8

Thanks from me too for the details about where to get the plastic.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:15am
post #8 of 8

I actually keep my table covered in the clear vinyl all the time (I swear I don't cover my couch too) because it belonged to DH's mom. I hate washing table cloths all the time, so I decided to cover it in plastic rather than spend $400 on a piece of glass to cover it.

So I just roll right on my table. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%