First Weding Cake Help!

Business By sstardust17 Updated 7 Jun 2012 , 7:46am by mersidavid

sstardust17 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 10

I got a message about making a wedding cake, this will be my first (it is a referral!) so I am nervous about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what questions I should be asking her while I talk to her? Also are wedding cake prices different from regular cake prices? Anything info and ideas would be so helpful!
Thanks!

9 replies
cowdex Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 10

Do a search - lots of great info in here! www.earlenes.com has good info also.

cupcake Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:00am
post #3 of 10

Most of the people in here charge by the serving. You need to know things like how many people does she need to serve. Does she want Buttercream or Fondant, do you have to deliver and set-up What flavor cake, filling etc?When is the wedding, where is the wedding, do they need a grooms cake? If you check out Earlenes site she has a contract and also an order form that you can download to help you. Good Luck!

ckdcr8r Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:17am
post #4 of 10

I found something a long time ago, don't remember where, about serving prices. I adopted this idea. This couple that owned a bakery charged per tier instead of per serving. The way I did it was took the suggested number of servings, multiplied it by my serving price and rounded it to the nearest round number. By doing this, people get the look that they want without feeling ripped off by being charged for cake they think they won't need. If a bride wants a 6, 10, 14, but only needs to feed 100, she won't feel ripped of by having to be charged for 130. Just say that if this is the cake she wants, this is the closest approximate servings and it will still keep it aesthetic. I hated when I worked at a wedding shop that had two tiers separated by 3 inches, the next by 1 and the next by 2 to try and get the exact number of guests to be served. It looked stupid. It needs to be consistent. Just another suggestion for you...or anyone when pricing wedding cakes.

indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 10:27am
post #5 of 10

If they are serving food and/or alcohol at the reception, they won't need as much cake (people get full from dinner, and alcohol and sweet cake just don't mix).

SweetResults Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 10

What is the right Earlene's website? THe other one just brought up one of those "search sites".

dodibug Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 10
cncgirl00 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 10

The correct site is www.earlenescakes.com

knoxcop1 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 10

You'll want to ask the bride to bring along any drawings and/or ideas she has about cakes she likes.

Ask her what she likes about wedding cakes, and what she DOESN'T like. Once you get to talking to her, she'll open up with you. Most people I've talked to had very definite ideas about what they didn't like.

Also, one thing I don't do is give definite prices at the initial consultation. I will give them a "ballpark" idea--but only if they ask for it. When you get home, and start thinking about "little things" that are going to cost YOU money, and effort--you'll be able to figure those into the cost of the cake. Don't forget to think about things that cost you $$, like Saran wrap, cake boards, special tips, colors, pans, oil, eggs, flavorings, etc. I learned that lesson on my first cake!

If she doesn't have a lot of ideas, make sure that YOU do! Bring your portfolio or photos of past cakes with you. Wilton wedding books, and magazines with wedding cake photos in them are great to have there for ideas. You'll want plenty of blank paper there, too--for notes, drawings of ideas, etc.

Make sure you get all the info you can during the consultation. Her phone numbers, (work, cell, home) and an emergency contact number of someone NOT in the wedding party. This is just in case something happens out of your control on the wedding day, and you need a contact.

Those are some of the things that I can think of that will help you on "meeting" day.

HTH,
--Knox--

mersidavid Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 7:46am
post #10 of 10

Send flowers to UK online via Flowersnext.coms wide network of local florists in UK. Same day online flowers delivery is also available with fresh and beautiful flowers guaranteed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%