Marshmallow Fluff Or Microwave Marshmallow?

Decorating By SweetInspirations Updated 28 Sep 2006 , 12:04am by starrchaser

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever used the recipe for MMF with the marshmallow fluff instead of using the microwaved recipe? I found a recipe for this on CC.
curious here.... icon_wink.gif

12 replies
debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 13

i havent used the microwave version but i like the mmf fluff because its so easy to make. its the only fondant i've ever worked with and i think it works fine but i cant help with comparison. sorry i'm not much help.

SweetInspirations Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you debbie2881!
I just might give it a try then icon_wink.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't tried the fluff yet, only the microwaved mallows. I'm curious as to what the difference in the end result is. Is there a change in elasticity or anything like that? Thanks to anyone who can let me know!

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 13

I tried the version with the fluff one time about a year ago when I saw it in a family circle recipe. I had a really hard time with it. Mine turned out very tough, and I couldn't roll it out. That said, I might have added too much powdered sugar, even though I used the amount the recipe called for. icon_confused.gif When I found CC and the MMF recipe using melted marshmallows, I started using that and have never tried the other again. Just my experience....

hopper1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopper1 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 13

That is totally weird!! I just posted that same question about an hour ago.Guess I should have looked a little further back.icon_smile.gif

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 13

I've tried the marshmallow fluff. I didn't get too far with it. It was very messy for me and all over the place. I followed the recipe exactly and I am never going to try that again.
I haven't tried the microwave recipe yet...

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 13

WOW!! icon_eek.gif you guys just made my day!! the only time I tried MMF it was such a mess that I've never tried it again but if I can use the fluff thing I think I can make it!!! party.gif
So, how much should I use, is a jar the same as a bag????

Can't wait to try it!

SweetInspirations Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 13

I found this recipe on CC.
Looks easy enough for me! icon_razz.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2148-Easy-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks sweetinspirations! for some weird reason I've never seen this recipe before! It looks very easy!! and cheaper than fondant!! thumbs_up.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 13

definately do not add all the PS that the recipe calls for. the recipe says to add gradually after a certain point. just add until its no longer sticky. dont dump it all in at once. goodluck with it. oh and i've since learned that its better to use shortening rather than cornstarch because after a while with the cornstarch the fondant will get dry and crumbly.

blondie500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie500 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 13

I used the recipe with the fluff and had no problems with it. I plan on using it again. I also added the powdered sugar slowly so it didn't get too dry. And I used the shortening also instead of corn starch. So pretty much what Debbie said.

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:04am
post #13 of 13

making MMF is pretty messy the first little bit and if you are willing to give it a little love and tenderness the more you make it the less messy it tends to get ( you get better at it) it is deffinitly cheaper and tastes way better! I have not tryed the Fluff recepie yet but i have been wondering about using it for some time now. We always have Fluff on hand.( My youngest boy Auggie would die without Fluffer-nutter sandwiches)
That's my 2 cents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%