Is It Bad Etiquite? I'm Confused!

Decorating By melysa Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm by melysa

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #61 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

no...you've haven't done wrong

you've encountered the "i am the center of and source of all life and things in the universe" version of the bridezilla.

the "i'm soooooooo special -- no one can be like me or have anything like mine" bridezilla

(hmm and are her clothes custom made? her car?
are her wedding invitations hand made originals or stock design, etc.???)

really now -- what, you have to use that recipe once and then tear it up never to be used again???

and like, how many at the b-day party will be at the wedding?? and who's to know unless little miss pissypants/weep-a-lot tells them?

oh PUH-LEEEEEEEZE!!! get over yourself little bride.

of course we practice flavor combos, of course we make tasting samples -- some even called b-day cakes.

this is one that if she cancels --- good riddance!!

Doug- You've described my daughter to a "T" during her wedding planning. I wish I had this post 2 years ago to read off to her. You've made me laugh til I cried. icon_cry.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #62 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeking

Freakin master manipulator! This woman is a needy histrionic personality type. If you don't believe it...here is the definition:

...a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval... They are emotionally shallow and have difficulty understanding others or themselves in any depth...Women with HPD may show inappropriate and intense anger. They may engage in manipulative suicide threats as one aspect of general manipulative interpersonal behavior...They often fail to see their own situation realistically, instead tending to dramatize and exaggerate...

I work with one...stand stand her!

Run, run, run...forwarned is forearmed!

DITTO DITTO DITTO. I used to work in an office that speicalized in mental health issues. Please trust us when we say run away icon_eek.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #63 of 273

Perhaps I am the minority but I think you should think about doing it.....sounds like she was having a hissy fit and you called her bluff. You probably scared the crap outta her and I doubt you will have any more problems since she can see that SHE will be screwed if you don't do the cakes.....

Whatever you decide, I applaud your guts. You say the things I only think icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #64 of 273

Doug's list reminds me of the speech I give to brides when they are wanting something "odd" and they try to tell me they are "non-traditional people". I look at them and ask:

"are you wearing a white dress? groom wearing a tux? bridesmaids? groomsmen? doing that ring exchange thing? in a church? with a minister and music? guests bringing gifts...... now I bet you're into THAT tradition, right? So, uh, what part of "non-traditional" are you again?"

That kinda plants their feet back in the REAL world!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #65 of 273

See if i wanted to be really bad (which I have a hard time doing) I'd make the same cake for the Shower. Why is the shower so early any ways? Shouldn't they be 1month or less before the wedding (alot can happen between now and then, especially w/ bridezilla) She sounds like she doesn't play well with others.

CCC

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:16pm
post #66 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneysCustomCakes

Shouldn't they be 1month or less before the wedding ....

Depends on your family and regional custom. In my family circle, having a shower only a month before the wedding is classified as inconsiderate:

"What? I have to buy her a shower gift and then turn right around and buy her a wedding gift just a month later??? Plus spend money for new clothes to attend the wedding AND pay a sitter since they are having a no-children wedding? Do they think I'm MADE of money or something?"

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #67 of 273

OMG! ROTFLMAO!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I just got finished with this whole post...you guys are great!

I cannot BELIEVE you sent that email!!! You are soo good Merrissa! icon_twisted.gifthumbs_up.gif

You put every single thing that she tried to do to you back on her. The ball is now in your court! Think long and hard if you still want to help her out. Think about how far away the wedding is??
I wouldn't want to put someone in the position that they are frantic to have cake...but, that's just me...I am nice! princess.gif

Sounds to me like SHE needs some therapy and that there is a LOT more going on behind closed doors! If no one is there, she has no one to talk to, and not many approve of this wedding...WHAT'S GOING ON?? Is it her OR is it the husband to be?? It is confusing coming from her but, sounds like a guilt trip to me!! And if it walks like a duck...You get my drift! LOL icon_lol.gif
I also think you should get a contract finalized if you haven't already and leave this at a business relationship. She may be trying to get you to be all nice nice cause she DOESN"T have anyone and you probably don't want that! After all..you are the decorator and she is the bride! You need to tell her this to put her in her place!

Good luck with this one! I will be watching with wide eyes to see what happens! (lol, like a soap it is!!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

StephyG

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:18pm
post #68 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

no...you've haven't done wrong

you've encountered the "i am the center of and source of all life and things in the universe" version of the bridezilla.

the "i'm soooooooo special -- no one can be like me or have anything like mine" bridezilla

(hmm and are her clothes custom made? her car?
are her wedding invitations hand made originals or stock design, etc.???)

really now -- what, you have to use that recipe once and then tear it up never to be used again???

and like, how many at the b-day party will be at the wedding?? and who's to know unless little miss pissypants/weep-a-lot tells them?

oh PUH-LEEEEEEEZE!!! get over yourself little bride.

of course we practice flavor combos, of course we make tasting samples -- some even called b-day cakes.

this is one that if she cancels --- good riddance!!

I haven't even gotten to read the rest of this thread...you are hilarious.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:18pm
post #69 of 273

Because I'm mean I'd do her cake and make a point of making that flavor combo all the time for mutual friends both before and after the big day. icon_twisted.gif

If you do it make sure that you have a fee for every phone call and email that she sends that isn't needed or on topic.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:21pm
post #70 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeking

Freakin master manipulator! This woman is a needy histrionic personality type. If you don't believe it...here is the definition:

...a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval... They are emotionally shallow and have difficulty understanding others or themselves in any depth...Women with HPD may show inappropriate and intense anger. They may engage in manipulative suicide threats as one aspect of general manipulative interpersonal behavior...They often fail to see their own situation realistically, instead tending to dramatize and exaggerate...

I work with one...stand stand her!

Run, run, run...forwarned is forearmed!

DITTO DITTO DITTO. I used to work in an office that speicalized in mental health issues. Please trust us when we say run away icon_eek.gif

I have also dealth with this type, Jekin, thanks for the description, I did not realise this was a documented. My DH and I were taken for a ride for 3 years, then we said no, we are done, friends took over and quit pretty quick, other family members now taking over and what a mess.

Since it sounds like you know her a bit, if this is what she is like then I say run.

If on the other hand, she is just overstressed over the wedding and not seeing the forest for the trees. Like someone else mentioned this is a marriage not just a wedding. Then you might consider it.

But be warned, if this is what she is like, people like this do not change, they are like leaches, they take you for all you got, until you are dried up of emotions, energy and sometimes of your savings.

Take care, you are now armed with a lot of information to make the correct decision for yourself. Let us know what happens.

Good Luck.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:23pm
post #71 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBelle

Just got done reading through this! Whew!

So, am I right in thinking this person was your friend before all this? I mean, not just a client. I got that from where you said you made the same flavor combo for a mutual friend?

i would say casual aquaintence. she is really more of a friend of a friend. i see her now and then, but we dont get together (except for the three times that we met about cake.) she used to work at my sons school. she is very young, i am 10 years her senior with my own children! i am not worried about ruining any relationships, more just weeding out the uneccesary ones. not to sound harsh, but this wont stress me out.

the person whom i made the cake for this weekend has been a good friend of mine for several years. the bride knows her from having worked for her for a short time a year or so ago.

there was another emailing saying she didnt understand what just happened. honestly, i am not being mean to her. i think i am just putting my foot down and perhaps she has never had anyone do that with her. icon_eek.gif

dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #72 of 273

Yes, wait to reply to her. Make her think about this. There is NO WAY she is going to find someone else to do those cakes for what you are charging her.

Hopefully, she knows now that you are not going to put up with her temper tantrums! icon_cry.gif

Unfortunately, I'm sure she's dealing with many other wedding professionals she is going to put through the grinder. icon_evil.gif

Make her beg for your services! I'm sure you have a contract for services, but I would advise anyone out there to work something like this into their contract: "I understand that I am paying for an original product of (fill in your name or your bakery's name). Although flavors and styles may be repeated, each cake is an individual work of art and cannot be an exact replica of anything ever created before."

People who are not bakers do not understand what it's like to take eggs, flour, sugar, butter, and flavorings and create something out of those ingredients that didn't exist before! It really is magic! icon_smile.gif

Kudos to you for standing your ground! Please keep us all informed of this outcome. This is like a soap opera and I am hooked!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #73 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

there was another emailing saying she didnt understand what just happened. honestly, i am not being mean to her. i think i am just putting my foot down and perhaps she has never had anyone do that with her. icon_eek.gif

Wow! All this thread in one day...

I think you are right, Melysa, no one has ever SPANKED her before!!! Good for you!!!! thumbs_up.gif

PS - We love you, Doug!!!!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #74 of 273

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I can't help but wonder what our little princess would think if she knew she had people from just about every state in this country and few from others laughing at her and her behavior?
Sort makes you wish you could tell her that huh? icon_twisted.gif
What a spoiled abusive little twit icon_mad.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm
post #75 of 273

Did y'all catch this part of her email?

Quote:

...i'll admit that i can be incredibly spoiled at times. i strive very very hard to be different and special.

She STRIVES to be "different and special"? THere's the big red flag right there.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #76 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I can't help but wonder what our little princess would think if she knew she had people from just about every state in this country and few from others laughing at her and her behavior?
Sort makes you wish you could tell her that huh? icon_twisted.gif
What a spoiled abusive little twit icon_mad.gif

ROTFLMAO!!! So true, so true! I would love to do this one day! LOL

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #77 of 273

I would also wait 24 hours, sleep on it, and then get back to her. Just becuase I'm too nice, I would probably consider it because she does sound sincere in her apology. At this point, it does sound like you may have scared her somewhat straight. Then again, my gut says run like the wind. If she needed to vent to a friend and you were the one that ended up listening to her vent, that's probably not a good sign. Like someone else said, where is her maid of honor?

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:50pm
post #78 of 273

you're so awesome to let her know not to pull crap on you, though it sounds like she is still wanting quite a pouring on of sympathy!

I can already predict her on her wedding day>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did you see that bridezilla on TV who was freaking out and crying and no one dared tell her about the DJ not being there? Then at the end of the night she was there in her wedding dress picking up the trash off the lawn and crying that no one cared about her enough to help. HMMMM probably because she treated everyone around her like crap for the past 6 months. Funny how that works.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:59pm
post #79 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

you're so awesome to let her know not to pull crap on you, though it sounds like she is still wanting quite a pouring on of sympathy!

I can already predict her on her wedding day>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did you see that bridezilla on TV who was freaking out and crying and no one dared tell her about the DJ not being there? Then at the end of the night she was there in her wedding dress picking up the trash off the lawn and crying that no one cared about her enough to help. HMMMM probably because she treated everyone around her like crap for the past 6 months. Funny how that works.

Holy Cow - my friend and I are watching that right now....I laughed so hard - that was pathetic, I swear!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:05pm
post #80 of 273

This thread reminds me why we are all addicted to cake central ha ha ha. It's fun to hear about just how crazy people can be!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #81 of 273

I am on the edge of my seat to see how this one plays out!! Good for you for not taking her crap!! Now if enough people did that she may get a clue - well probably not.

Keep us posted.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #82 of 273

i'm now anxiously awaiting the results too... basically just posting to say Good for you! Cake Balls of Steel! (and cake)

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #83 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypie

Cake Balls of Steel! (and cake)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We need to add this one to the acronym list: "She has CBS!"

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #84 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypie

Cake Balls of Steel! (and cake)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We need to add this one to the acronym list: "She has CBS!"

CBS - love it! I'm going to remember that one icon_razz.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #85 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Did y'all catch this part of her email?

Quote:

...i'll admit that i can be incredibly spoiled at times. i strive very very hard to be different and special.

She STRIVES to be "different and special"? THere's the big red flag right there.

I've been reading this thread out loud to DH and this was also the first thing that jumped out at both of us in her post. His quote was "Run Forrest, run!!!!"

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #86 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

but the flavors, at least the amaretto have been a dream for years. long before i ever dreamed up the cake.

...welllllllll isn't that special!

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:30am
post #87 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Quote:

but the flavors, at least the amaretto have been a dream for years. long before i ever dreamed up the cake.

how conveeeeeeeeenient! icon_lol.gif

melysa Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:33am
post #88 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif the picture is perfect. oh...and your signature at the bottom from red-green. thanks for pullin' for me!

i have talked with my husband and am getting out the checkbook. i'm returning all her money from the shower cake (225) and the 200 deposit for the wedding cake. i am keeping 25, as that was the previous agreed payment for the tasting cakes (3 (THREE!!!) seriously expenive ones by the way! it cost me way more than 25, but i was being nice). i cant believe i actually had the nerve to do this, but i am so thankful that i did. even the person hosting the party said that she is selfish, mean and spiteful. sheesh. ...and so what if i have 20 lbs of fondant sitting in my pantry right now?!?!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #89 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

and so what if i have 20 lbs of fondant sitting in my pantry right now?!?!

You know you eventually will use it all up!! I am so very proud of you! I don't know if I would have been able to do it, but I hope if I am ever in the situation where I need to "fire a bride" I will find inspiration in your fabulous email!!

melysa Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:56am
post #90 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:
Quote:

and so what if i have 20 lbs of fondant sitting in my pantry right now?!?!

You know you eventually will use it all up!! I am so very proud of you! I don't know if I would have been able to do it, but I hope if I am ever in the situation where I need to "fire a bride" I will find inspiration in your fabulous email!!

thanks. didnt think i'd ever have to deal with something like this either. i've only done one other wedding... i hope the percentages arent always like this!

i think that she is waiting for me to call back thinking i am still doing the cake, even though i have spelled it out for her. i also informed the host not to expect one on saturday. you know, at this point , i really dont care. i am just so insulted at such ungrateful behavior, i have absolutely NO desire to do them, REGARDLESS of how badly i was looking forward to the designs before today. such a sad thing too, cause (yes i am tooting my own horn) they would have been AWESOME!

hey, where's the "NO CAKE FOR YOU" t-shirt??? (who was that? melvira? sorry i cant remember, i just remember that there is "one"...and now i need it! lol !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%