New Business--What Equipment!??!

Business By mikaza Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 7:06am by JanH

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello there

The ultimate opportunity may have just fallen in my lap! The building I work in was putting in a coffee shop, to be run by an independent business. Well, that business pulled out--with the shop about 6 weeks away from completion (new construction!).

I have been approached about taking over the space to turn into a coffee shop/bakery--but I have to make some decisions and QUICK. Of course thats the worst way to make any decisions!

So, I know what it will cost me to finish the space--not counting equipment (all of which will need to be purchased, from oven to storage to toilet!).

What do I need?
Where should I look for it? (I'm in Maryland, and thinking that used might be the most economical way to go).

I would like to be able to do this as affordably as possible--if/when the biz takes off, I can upgrade.

Any other suggestions!?!?! THANK YOU!!!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 5

Here's a starting your own bakery thread:
(Lists everything from business plan to equipment...)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-358713-.html

HTH

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

When you do your financial planning, don't forget that most businesses fail because of cash flow problems, so be sure you have 3-4 expenses in advance.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info--and links to great forums! My husband and I spent much of the night thinking and calculating, and we decided we are going to have to pass on this opportuynity right now--we had to make a decision and come up with the money within a week, and its just not a smart thing for us to do under such constraints!

I am going to talk to the building owner about letting me stay involved with whomever comes in--perhaps I can partner OR even better, convince them to put in ovens and such to my specifications--then I can bake around my schedule, and sell directly to them!!

Keep your fingers crossed, and thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:06am
post #5 of 5

Good luck, mikaza. thumbs_up.gif

Hope everything works out for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%