Free Cat To Good Non-Cake Decorating Home!

Lounge By 4dollars Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 7:45am by Jorre

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:29am
post #1 of 49

I have a 6 month old cat that needs a home! icon_mad.gif I was sitting at the computer (on CC) waiting for my cake to cool so I could cover it & put it in the fridge to decorate tomorrow. While watching the cake from the computer, Superman decides to jump up on my kitchen counter and LICK the cake I just made!!!!! tapedshut.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

I have never had trouble with him before. Usually when I'm in the kitchen he will go play somewhere else. But Noooo not tonight. He has to lick my cake. DAMN CAT!

I just gave up baking tonight. I am going to put another cake in the oven tomorrow. Maybe it will cool off so I can decorate it.

Now this cat is just sitting on the floor looking at me like I am the crazy one. Oh, he just doesn't know how close to being an outside kitty he is!!!! icon_evil.gif

48 replies
GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:37am
post #2 of 49

that is exactly why we no longer have a cat!! And be sure to hide the angel food cake! They REALLY love them!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #3 of 49

I just got a kitten 4dollars and i hope he never does that one lol .. I can feel your frustration

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #4 of 49

Ugh, that sucks!!!! I'm so sorry this happened. Damn animals, huh? If it's any consolation, I too have animal problems. The cats - they are actually pretty good, other than every once in awhile licking the icing on cakes if they are left out. I now have to store cakes in a closet to keep the animals away! LOL

The day before my last cake class, our new dog (the one on my avatar as well) ate my final cakes. It was the wedding cake of the Wilton III class, I'd gotten both double layers done and iced so I wouldn't have to scramble the night before. Well, while my husband (who works nights) was sleeping, our dog stood on his hind legs and ate all but a small portion of the layers I had out. I almost cried when my husband called me at work to tell me. The dog almost became an outside dog as well. icon_razz.gif Our cat and dog would be in good company together outside, wouldn't they?

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:41am
post #5 of 49

I know exactly what you mean. My daughter's 6 month old kitten jumps up on the table all the time. She loves icing!! I try to kick her off of there, but I swear she just laughs at me though. icon_mad.gif

4dollars Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:48am
post #6 of 49

I would put his happy little cake licking butt outside, but, he has never been outside! I took him out the other day because he was looking out the storm door. He almost clawed me to death trying to get back in the house!

icon_evil.gif I have thought of getting the cake out of the trash and force feeding the whole thing to him! icon_evil.gif (just kidding, I wouldn't be that mean, but it sure feels good thinking about it lol) icon_twisted.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:00am
post #7 of 49

I love my cat too much to give him away for licking a cake call me crazy cat lady but I let my cat eat off my plate I don't care what he puts in his mouth tonight he ate a cricket and is now using his litter box next he will be in my pillow cuddling with me all night BUT BUT BUT when I am baking I kick him out side until I am done cleaning, I learned that the hard way first of I am terrified of anyone finding cat hair in my cakes which I don't sell anyways but still, second during my classes at micheal's I found out he likes cake batter and BC icing and he sat on my colorflow birds his
B Hole directly on the bird GROSSSSSSSSSS ever since then I kick him out side before I clean the kitchen before I start sifting but I love my cat and he can lick the cake batter for my own all he wants!!!!! But not anyone else's cake I won't even let my own kids lick the beaters the thought of it it's just gross when its for other people

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:01am
post #8 of 49

Sorry, but that's funny. icon_smile.gif It reminds me of when I made my first wedding cake. I had a cat and a short dog. I baked some layers and left them on the counter to cool while I went to run an errand. When I came back I found the cat had knocked them off the counter so the dog could eat them. They were always a team.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:03am
post #9 of 49

I feel for you! I, just about 3 weeks ago had to get rid of all 4 of my cats!! 1 was 12, 1 was 8 and the other 2 were 4 months (sisters)
I realized that I just could not do this with pets! Cats really have a mind of their own!!!
After I caught them jumping on a cake, they went bye bye!

Of course, I then cried for 2 days!!!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:04am
post #10 of 49

You know some people don't believe than but I do cats and dogs do get along and the cat usually helps the dog they just have love/hate relationships!!!!

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:10am
post #11 of 49

I must be blessed. I have two boy kitties( Rhett Butler and Rickie ) and they are GREAT!!. Not once have either of them bothered a cake, or anything that I have made. God Bless Kitties!!!! Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:13am
post #12 of 49

I love my cats dearly. Given the opportunity, they would probably like to have some cake. Our kitchen is upstairs and once we built our new home a few years ago, the upstairs became a cat free zone. It was hard at first since I was used to them being everywhere I was.

Black Jack and McGwire stay in the basement all the time. It is a walk out so they have windows to look out of and plus that is where our tv room is. When I am decorating all weekend, I am usually in trouble since I have not given them enough quality time!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:19am
post #13 of 49

lol, I have 3 rescues and they behave pretty decently, except for the newest member of the trio, Houdini, who actually crushed the box my daughter's reception cake was in when he decided he was going to climb up on it.

Before that I had a cat, forgot which one it was..after I had spend like 3 days baking and decorating rum cakes with whipped brandy icing to give to friends and family for one Christmas...I found I had one extra cake.

The one I left on the table for my family after I packed and labled all the other ones.

I wake up the next day to find the edge of the cake missing...all around the edge. I could NOT for the life of me figure it out.

We all came around the cake at one time or another to try and give our best guess as to what happened to that cake.

When...the stupid cat, sells it's self out...climbed onto a chair....puts his front paws on the edge of the table, and leans into the cake and started to nibble on the cake!!!!

We all "freaked" out! lol This has only been the second cat that I know that enjoyed cake! lol

ziggyiguana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggyiguana Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:23am
post #14 of 49

You guys have a poor sight on this matter. I feel bad for the cat, personally. Who wants to eat the same crap food all the time? Obviously we don't!! Give them a break! I mean, you should feel bad if they didn't like it icon_razz.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:39am
post #15 of 49

I love my kitties. I have a 13yo and 1yo. They are both well-behaved in the counter-top area, largely due to water-bottle training. Quit frankly, they are smart enough to know that eventually some snacks are going to end up on the floor so why tempt fate with the water-bottle. icon_lol.gif K'ly ^,,^

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:59am
post #16 of 49

Luckily my cats have never tried to eat my cakes. They don't get on the countertop where I do my decorating. They know that all their food comes on the ground, and they get plenty.

My most wonderful cat (she recently passed on 3-18-06...she was 19 1/2) used to eat everything, right out of your mouth or your sandwich. She loved Doritos!! Reading this thread has reminded me of her. She would have eaten cake! The 2 I have now are kinda nutty. Call one Tweek (really Matilda) and Junior (her brother).

I seriously think I would have quit baking, or found a new place to do it if Tabby wouldn't behave. I never could have gotten rid of my cat! She was the queen of the castle! Maybe would have put up a door between the kitchen and the rest of the house.

One funny story though, Junior (affectionately known as DumbDumb) once got his head stuck in an Edy's Ice cream carton trying to get the last licks during a birthday party. We could hear this thumping noise from the kitchen, I couldn't imagine what it was, there is Jr., head up against a wall, trying to get the ice cream out. I pulled it off, first he was stunned, then he wanted back in!! Goofy!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:16am
post #17 of 49

I really feel for you, we have 3 cats and Zeke {9 yrs}is quite fond of cake and icing. So when I'm baking I make sure he is in another room.. We have french doors that I close so he can't get into the kitchen or dining room..My cats are indoor cats too so I'd never put him outside, they can pick up all sorts of nasty things outdoors. .. Maybe you could lock him in the basement or another room when you are making cakes.. They are just like little kids and can't resist temptation at times..gotta love them though.
Liz

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 49

Seriously though. aside from allergies, I have never gotten sick from my animals. (ok. once they decided to rub up against poison ivy and not tell me) I would be much more worried to have kids anywhere around my food. Kids are a hot zone for diseases. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. I recently worked at a preschool for 8 months and was sick every single day. They had every kind of virus and bacterial infection. I would have kids sneeze in my lunch. I just stopped eating anything there. So in defense of pets everywhere, I'd rather have a cat lick my cake than have kids near it. (But I still kick them outside when I bake.) icon_wink.gif

frider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frider Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 10:57pm
post #19 of 49

What about getting a food cover made out of netting? They sell them to cover food for picnics and they cost only a dollar or two.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:47am
post #20 of 49

I feel for the poor pets that have masters that curse them for simply being an animal. tapedshut.gif

mindy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy74 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:42am
post #21 of 49

My one cat loves to lick royal icing! Today I caught her licking one of my freshly made daffodils (of course I threw that one away). I guess she likes the sweetness of the icing. IMO, if you have pets, you have to know things like this are going to happen. It is frustrating, but they're like kids--you never know what they're going to get into. I'd sooner throw all of my baking supplies in the garbage before I'd get rid of my cats. They are part of my family.

redbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbird Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #22 of 49

You know what, for me it's not a cat but my nearly 2 year old daughter, and I can't get rid of her.

4dollars Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:23pm
post #23 of 49

OK, I really wasn't going to respond to this post anymore, because of some of the nasty feedback. But, I feel like I need to say, I do love my cat. If I didn't, I would not have him. I needed to vent to someone other that the cat bacause I fully know he IS just an animal, and really doesn't know that he shouldn't get on the counter. I didn't curse him for just "BEING an animal". He has been treated like a person since the day he was brought to my home. I thought since my family was alseep, I wound vent online, instead of to my cat.

Thank you to those of you who shared your frustrations, because it's nice to know I'm not the 1st person this has happened to.

and just a side note, I really wasn't serious about giving him away, I was mad. If my husband had licked a cake I just made, I would have put him on the market too! It's called a joke!

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:29pm
post #24 of 49

My thoughts exactly!! Giving away a pet would be like giving away a family member. Would you do it? No!! Have you felt like doing it? ummm.... Yeah!!!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #25 of 49

I'll take your kitty if you take my 17 yr old icon_smile.gif While I was taking course 2, we had to make a bunch of the royal icing flowers for our final cake. Anyhow, I made a ton of those dang things, and a few days before that final class, I decided to take inventory. OMG!! All the flowers I had so diligently made were GONE! The wax papers were still in the container, but the flowers weren't. Needless to say when he got home, I was nuts! I told him he gets to learn how to make flowers.

Needless to say, he hasn't hardly touched any of my cake stuff any more.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:38pm
post #26 of 49

redbird....I was just thinking the same thing! My 5 & 4 year old know not to mess with anything, but if anything is within reach, my 2 year old has it! I've caught her with a chair in the kitchen devouring a cake that was cooling (fortunately it was already cooled AND it was an "extra" cake). Yesterday, as she sat at the table while I decorated cookies, she stuck her finger in one (just pointing at it of course)!

Gotta love 'em!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:57pm
post #27 of 49

Charb31,

sort of reminds me of the time, I had to made a cake for work. It was late in the evening before I had gotten around to baking it. So I went to bed and got up extra early the next morning to decorate the cake. I went into the kitchen turned the kitchen light on and uncovered the cake, and there was a corner piece missing icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif My oldest daughter thought she would like a midnight snack. Well she has never done that since. icon_wink.gif

sami21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami21 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:14pm
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dollars

OK, I really wasn't going to respond to this post anymore, because of some of the nasty feedback. But, I feel like I need to say, I do love my cat. If I didn't, I would not have him. I needed to vent to someone other that the cat bacause I fully know he IS just an animal, and really doesn't know that he shouldn't get on the counter. I didn't curse him for just "BEING an animal". He has been treated like a person since the day he was brought to my home. I thought since my family was alseep, I wound vent online, instead of to my cat.

Thank you to those of you who shared your frustrations, because it's nice to know I'm not the 1st person this has happened to.

and just a side note, I really wasn't serious about giving him away, I was mad. If my husband had licked a cake I just made, I would have put him on the market too! It's called a joke!

I got that you were just venting. Some people have to relax!

God forbid we get home a few minutes late...my JT will help himself to whatever is available. He's carried a whole loaf of bread to my DD room and went at it. Once we left the cellar door open and he brought up sausages that were hanging (we're italian) and was chewing on them on my living room floor. Forget about having fresh flowers in the house....he loves those too! Now don't get the wrong idea, this is a well fed 16 lb. boy. He hasn't touched my cakes...yet. He does love the buttercream icing and licks that off my finger. He's very driven by food and an excellent cat to teach tricks to. I've taught him to kiss, shake a paw and also spin around for treats.
I say bake your cat a special cupcake when you bake a cake and maybe he'll leave your cakes alone.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:22pm
post #29 of 49

i'll trade you your cat for my big fat sloppy dog icon_lol.gif

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashcakes

i'll trade you your cat for my big fat sloppy dog icon_lol.gif

I will trade you one big fat sloppy dog...for.......3 teenagers...... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%