Gingerbread House Business?

Business By amysjustpeachy Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 4:35am by MaisieBake

amysjustpeachy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysjustpeachy Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:05am
post #1 of 8

Hi! After years out in the working world, I returned to school to finish my college degree. But now that I'm nearing the end, I realize that what I really want to do is re-establish my cake decorating business!! So in my final school year I'm scoping out exactly what I want to do. I've done a few gingerbread houses just for fun and they were a great success. I've thought about including that into my business, although I realize it would probably be seasonal. Does anyone out there sell gingerbread houses along with cakes? What are the pros/cons/things to consider? Any comments, including pricing advice, would be extremely welcome!! Thanks!

7 replies
TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 8

I just saw your post and wanted to share something with you from around here.

There's a bakery that offers year-round houses. Not just gingerbread, but also a more white one, like a short bread or sugar cookie color...don't know what they use. But they decorate them for the season -- very popular for open house or house warming parties. Spooky ones for Halloween, Love cottages for Valentines, you get the idea. From what I gather, they are the only ones doing this, and it is not something they advertise...they just put them in the window...

Just an idea for your future and amazingly successful business!

amysjustpeachy Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:33am
post #3 of 8

Hmm...great idea! (My wheels are turning!) I'll have to do some research on non-gingerbread houses! I was also thinking that I could easiily market them without mentioning they are completely edible, so I don't have to worry about a licensed kitchen. Thanks for the reply!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 8

amysjustpeachy, Just wondering if you pursued this venture?
Or has anyone else in the CC family?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:36am
post #5 of 8

Reading the title of your post I keep wanting to write. It would work if you don't turn the oven up to high, and make everything melt Hehehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

What a wonderful idea. I never thought about it actually. I think it's a great idea.

Mike

amysjustpeachy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

Well, I did pursue it, but only sort of. A friend of mine owns a gift/antique store and she was really excited to try to sell them for me. I was able to finish only one village (she kept it on the counter, and people just ended up admiring it) before the end of the semester became way to busy. But I'm going to try again this year, now that I'm done with school. My latest idea is to make MINI houses and make them into Christmas ornaments. I'll be trying them out in the next month.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 8

I've always been drawn to gingerbread houses. There used to be an amazing website - i think called frankies attic, that was totally inspiring but haven't been able to locate it.

Thanx for the update - keep us posted.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

It was Franky's with a Y.

Seems whoever it was has lost the domain; it's a domain name squatter site now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%