Cracks In Satin Ice Fondant... Need Help!!!!

Decorating By friscocakesbyangel Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm by typarker9

friscocakesbyangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friscocakesbyangel Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, I have draped two cakes in Satin Ice fondant. I like the workability of it and the taste, but I keep getting cracks in it. I dont use that much powdered sugar, so it cant be too dry. But when I'm lifting it off the table to drape the cake, I'm already seeing the cracks right after I lay it on the cake. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? icon_mad.gif Am I rolling it too thin? Am I not kneading it enough? I've thought about switching to Fondx. Has anyone tried that one? On the last cake I draped with the Satin Ice; the next morning; there was a HUGE crack in the back of the cake and some BC was coming out. Luckily I fixed, but still. I am a perfectionist and I want my cakes to be perfect. PLEASE HELP ME!! Any advice will help!!

13 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 14

It sounds like it's too dry and you need to knead it more. Use some shortening to cut on the dryness. I roll to about 1/4" thick when covering cakes.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:16am
post #3 of 14

I find if i roll on a plastic mat and do the flip trick (the underside becomes the top) the underside is moister and you don't have the cracking you are describing.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I find if i roll on a plastic mat and do the flip trick (the underside becomes the top) the underside is moister and you don't have the cracking you are describing.

Can you explain what the 'flip trick' is? I can never get my fondant to 'flip' as it seems to stretch out. Do you use a rolling pin....etc...? Any info you can provide will be most appreciated.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 14

It really sounds like your fondant is rolled too thin. Also, use veg shortening or Pam on your rolling surface, not powdered sugar or cornstarch.

lizzamaryann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzamaryann Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:55am
post #6 of 14

omg you know what, I've been having the SAME problems with satin ice.
I recently tried fondx and had NO problems...

I think i'm gonna have to switch from satin ice to fondx.
I just made a cake with fondx earlier today and I already posted another topic about how great it is.

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 14

I just started using Satin Ice and love the pliability and taste, but absolutely - both times I've used it (rolled it 1/16th and 1/4) and the edges start to pull away - elephant skin - I've used a little crisco but it doesn't seem to matter....I'm not sure what else I can do either!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 14

Ditch the Satin Ice and use Fondarific. You will never go back.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 14

The same thing has been happening to me as well well with Satin Ice. How does Fondarific taste? Is it comparable to Satin Ice?

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 14

To me, Satin Ice isn't any better than Wilton. I hate the way it tastes and smells. I know that many people do like the taste, but my husband and I think it is gross.

I have consultations all the time where the bride says "I don't want fondant because of the taste" and then I have her sample the Fondarific buttercream flavored fondant and she changes her mind. It is also great on sugar cookies.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 14

The flavor I would be most interested in using would be the vanilla or the buttercream. How do they take to coloring?

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 14

I have had this problem as well with Satin Ice! I thought it was me. I've had both elephant skin and tearing, even when I use the flip trick with my Ateco mat. I knead that stuff like crazy and didn't use starch or icing sugar. Hmmmmm. perhaps I need to switch brands as well.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 14

I've had issues with Satin Ice for a while now. Not sure what they did but they changed something because it doesn't have the elasticity it used to have. It elephant skins and tears soooo easily.

My supplier even dropped their price of Satin Ice by $15.00 so I think they've noticed a drop in sales.

Anyway... I've switched to Fondx...

If you still have Satin Ice on hand... try mixing it 1/2 and half with MMF or Fondx... It will help a great deal.

Other than that... I always use shortening, roll my fondant on my silicone mat, lay the whole thing on the cake and peel the mat away... still have issues so I don't know that it matters what method you are using...

typarker9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
typarker9 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 14

Ive been having the same problems with my Satin Ice. The very first time I tried fondant was using the Wilton brand and i had no problems with it but I didnt really like the taste. I seen how popular Satin Ice was so I got it thinking I was going to have the same luck. Only now every cake i make has that elephant skin and all those little tears in it. I've used three different batches bought at different times. I think now I will try Fondx or Fondarific and see if they work better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%