Ok, I'm Eating My Words - I Have Been Smug; Now I'm Fuming!!

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm by Batter-UpBakery

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 29

A while ago I posted about finally 'solving the problem' about friends asking for cakes for weddings. I said that I would do friend's cakes for £1 a person to cover my costs and give my friends no say on design. I was so pleased with myself for solving the problem and marvelling at how anyone could be so foolhardy as to be tricked/cajouled into doing this for less.

Well ... I eat my bl@@dy words! I humbly apologise for my smugness.

A friend of a friend (actually someone I don't even like but who's in my crowd of friends) is getting married. they asked me to do their cakes but said the were ON A BUDGET (damn - why didn't they bold those words in their email?!) and couldn't afford very much. I came out with my smart-alec retort that I'd do their cake for £1 a person and they'd have no say on design. She was very pleased (who wouldn't be) and said £70 people were attending the reception - duly paying me £70.

Fast forward two months and I get an email asking how the cake is coming along (it's a fruit cake so I had already made the cake) she drops in that she's looking forward to eating the top tier on her anniversary. Argh! She made no mention of another tier. So now I have to factor in another tier. I swallow my irritation and figure she's a friend of a friend, I'll be at the wedding so shouldn't complain.

Fast forward seven weeks and she emailed me today about the cake asking when I'd be delivering it to the caterers. I asked how many people would be at the reception (just to make conversation really) and suddenly there's 100 people, plus 'some' kids who will only want small piece of cake (that makes it OK then?!)

ARGH! This is the fiancee of the man who I never liked at college but put up with him because he was liked by my friends. We went to Glastonbury festival in a big group and I'm very needy of washing and being clean so bought a bucket with me to wash out of. He thought it was 'really funny' to make a big hole in this bucket. ha ha ha.... I've got a good mind to semi bake his cake, put a big hole in the base board and laugh as it all trickles out on to the floor.

I feel churlish feeling grouchy about this. However this really is THE LAST TIME I do this (how many times have we all said this?!) I am happy with the £1 aperson, no design say deal - but I WILL always make clients sign a contract even if they're my mother. Now who's signing that pledge with me?

28 replies
BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 29

Is she going to pay you for the extra people?

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 29

Email ME the pledge! I'll sign, too thumbs_up.gif I've said all the same things as well, but I never learn icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 29

I'll sign!! I'm sorry you got shafted like that. I'd tell her you made a cake for 70 ppl and that's what she's getting.. sorry.. just because you change your mind and there's more people.. you don't get more cake. I am fuming FOR you.. some people.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 29

::splot::

dag nabbit -- the fountain pen leaked again!

::chicken sratch::

signed in my inimitable scrawl.

------------------------------------------

chin up -- (or should I drag out the ol' cliché -- keep a stiff upper lip?)

some people are just beyond annoying.

and since she DID only pay £70 for 70 people -- well then that's how much cake she gets -- unless she's forthcoming w/ £30+ more pounds for the additional guests (oh and kids should count DOUBLE!)

just remember -- this too shall pass

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 29

Well, not to be rude to the bride, but it sounds like the first 70 people to the cake table get cake and on her first anniversary she can call you and buy a cake. Or, you can cut all the pieces realllllly small and get 100 out of it. Either way, this is quite frustrating for you, and I feel your pain!

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 29

I was wondering the same as BarabaraK.
Because if she's not then you are not obligated to make extra cake, for people that just want a small taste.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 29

Even with friends or family it's a good idea to have them sign a contract.

I delivered a cake this past Saturday and the family said they were expecting me at 3pm. I happened to have a copy of the e-mail that was sent telling me to be there at 4pm.

I've learned bring along all paperwork and notes when deliverying.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 29

I have to say I agree, she owes you another 30 quid if there are 30 more people. plus more money for however many servings are in the top tier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Even with friends or family it's a good idea to have them sign a contract.

I delivered a cake this past Saturday and the family said they were expecting me at 3pm. I happened to have a copy of the e-mail that was sent telling me to be there at 4pm.

I've learned bring along all paperwork and notes when deliverying.

My wedding last weekend ..... the bride came over a week prior to finalize some details and I was confirming the info I already had .... serving time was set at 8:00 p.m. "Oh no! We moved that to 6:00. Didn't we tell you?" icon_eek.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 29

When I saw your title I thought you were going to say that you had an affair with your dog walking neighbor. (from your thread the other day)

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:28am
post #12 of 29

No chance of affair with dog-walking-neighbour!! No she's not going to pay me extra - she seems to be showing no awareness that she'd asked for 70 and I'd too pathetically weddy to point it out. I'll probably merely snipe to the other guests at the wedding and ruin my chances of going to heaven. I'm so foolish.

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:49am
post #13 of 29

Emma , you do fantastic work and you are selling yourself short , you need to politely remind her that you are doing her cake for $1 a serve and if there is 100 plus then that $100 plus
and if the top tier is needed for later than that means more money and she will either quickly cut back to the 70 and or cancel the one to keep
I do this so often , always sell myself short , if you don't make a stand now , then when will you
I have toughened up and they still come back , as they still get the mates rate which is way cheaper than anyone else about

go on , send her an email
politely tallying up the bill

you are worth it
your cakes are awesome

Suzy

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:15am
post #14 of 29

Hang on... when you're 'on a budget' you don't suddenly increase the guest list by nearly half again. I'm sorry Emma but this woman is playing you. You know that if you let her get away with this you will be known as the 'cheap cake lady' instead of the incredibly talented exclusive artist we all know you are.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:22am
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

No chance of affair with dog-walking-neighbour!! No she's not going to pay me extra - she seems to be showing no awareness that she'd asked for 70 and I'd too pathetically weddy to point it out. I'll probably merely snipe to the other guests at the wedding and ruin my chances of going to heaven. I'm so foolish.

i thought fruit cake has to be made WAY in advance? is the wedding soon? (sorry if you mentioned the date already). no way, YOU call the shots. not the discount seeking clientel. she wont have a clue unless you speak up.

your work is good emma, and you seriously should put your foot down. doing a cake that makes you resentful is never cool.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:32am
post #16 of 29

Since she oriinally advised 70 people and paid for 70 people, send her an e-mail and remind her to make sure the servers know exactly which 70 guests are to receive a piece of cake. Too bad about the extra 30! I cannot believe the nerve of the bride. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:40am
post #17 of 29

I agree with all the other posters. Perhaps the thing about the top tier might have been managed better by a communicating to her early on that the design you envisage is 1 tier only. However, you did say that you were to have carte blanche vis a vis design, but as soon as she mentioned the top tier, it would have been prudent to say there wasn't going to be one unless she paid more. And exactly - pay for 70, get 70 serves. Unless she wants to pay more.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:15am
post #18 of 29

Emma,

I am getting married probably in October to my present husband. I am on a budget too.....Will you do my cake and of course deliver it to the states Indiana to be exact. Of course I know I won't have any say in the design but for a quid per person I don't really mind. We will probably have about 50 to 60 people there but it might go up.

This is a great deal because you are just so cheap with your cakes for those of us on a budget and since we are pals here on cake central I know you won't turn me down. I mean you are doing a cake for someone you don't even like and I know you would LOVE me if you got to meet me. So are we set "cheap cake lady who lets everyone walk all over her"?

Teri

Really EMMA!....this woman is taking extreme advantage of you and I don't know how you can let her walk all over you like that. Are you a doormat? NO! So....pick up your kahoona's ( balls) and email her back telling her that if she is wanting a cake for 100 people plus children then she will need to bring you over another 40 quid to cover the extra people or she will have to decide who gets cake at the reception because you only are making a cake for 70 people. As for the top tier...I think a cupcake would be fine and more than enough for them to enjoy on their anniversary.

Emma you are a Colette Peters or Kerry Vincent. Do you think that they let people get away with doing this? Absolutely not....and you should respect yourself enough to not let it happen to you.

Teri

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:03am
post #19 of 29

Emma, this "lady" is taking advantage of you big style and we all know it. You must make her aware she owes you a lot more money or maybe tell her the extra tier is their wedding present. icon_twisted.gif
As for all the extra people coming, I wonder if you ought to ask the lady who is providing the extra cake for them.
I'm sorry things have turned out so complicated I hope it gets sorted out without you feeling bad about it all.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:13am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

Since she oriinally advised 70 people and paid for 70 people, send her an e-mail and remind her to make sure the servers know exactly which 70 guests are to receive a piece of cake. Too bad about the extra 30! I cannot believe the nerve of the bride.

LOL !

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:17am
post #21 of 29

[quote="CakeRN"]Emma,

I am getting married probably in October to my present husband. I am on a budget too.....Will you do my cake and of course deliver it to the states Indiana to be exact. Of course I know I won't have any say in the design but for a quid per person I don't really mind. We will probably have about 50 to 60 people there but it might go up.

This is a great deal because you are just so cheap with your cakes for those of us on a budget and since we are pals here on cake central I know you won't turn me down. I mean you are doing a cake for someone you don't even like and I know you would LOVE me if you got to meet me. So are we set "cheap cake lady who lets everyone walk all over her"?

Teri

ROFL point taken I would imagine but don't you make awsome cakes yourself lol

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #22 of 29

Why wouldn't you think she was aware of the price increase? Did she actually say that the servings are now 100 but I'm only paying 70?

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #23 of 29

After you throw in all the extra cake she will be getting about .50 a serving! You said it yourself these people aren't even your friends. Don't let them take advantage of you!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:18pm
post #24 of 29

I think I would email her and say something like "Now that the number of people has increased to 100 then i'm sure you know that the bill will reflect that and increase to $100.00 instead of $70.00. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page." That way you get the money you deserve and she is aware that she will have to pay you $100.00. Plus you won't feel so bad about making this cake. I in no way shape, form, or fashion can make a cake anything like the majority of people on here but when I do play around with decorating a cake I want to feel like wanting to make it and not be aggravated with it before I even start. Your talent is amazing so please don't sell yourself short. Make her pay what she owes!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #25 of 29

Don't y'all find it just amazing that we actually have to spell it out for them that when we tell them $70 for a cake to feed 70, then you don't get cake for 100 for $70? I mean, to all of us it's a given that the price goes up when the headcount goes up. icon_confused.gif

I don't know.... it's like the idiot who wants a gallon of paint to paint "a room". but when she decides to paint 3 rooms, she's somehow surprised that it's going to cost her more when she gets more paint!! icon_surprised.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Don't y'all find it just amazing that we actually have to spell it out for them that when we tell them $70 for a cake to feed 70, then you don't get cake for 100 for $70? icon_surprised.gif

I do.

Emma...unless she's the village idiot, she very well knows what an increase in servings means.....wouldn't any caterer charge more for 30 more people? send a friendly email if you can as Dordee suggested...
I'm so annoyed that she even has the nerve to put you in this situation! And even if she gets pissed at the increase...eh...we didn't like her anyway, right? icon_lol.gif

p.s.....were you even able to make more of the same cake...I understand fruitcake takes a while...

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #27 of 29

Even at £1/serving, when the number of servings go up, so does the final cost. So I agree with everyone else that you need to e-mail her with the new final cost. Otherwise, SHE decides who eats cake and who doesn't.

As for the top tier, since the bride has no say in the design, then I think that should be your decision as to whether or not the top tier is cut or saved, especially at this late date. You may need to tell her this too. If the top tier is cut at the wedding, then they are more than welcome to order one from you for their anniversary - at full price since they are getting such a deal for the wedding.

She needs to remember that when one is on a budget, they don't always get everything they want. Case in point-I had to buy a new refrigerator last week. I had to get one that fit into my budget, not the one I would have liked to have gotten.

[/code]

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

Emma you are a or . Do you think that they let people get away with doing this? Absolutely not....and you should respect yourself enough to not let it happen to you.

Teri

I thought this was said in jest, but after looking at your pics can I just say HOLY GUACAMOLE WOMAN! Why are you under charging yourself? You are amazing at your craft and you should not be letting people guilt you into selling yourself short. If they cannot afford to pay what you deserve, then you are not obligated to make them feel better by making it for what they say they can afford.

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 29

I agree with everyone else. I am still a newbie but even I would have to say whoa hold on more people means more money. Also a longer notice. I don't know anything about fruit cake, but even still she should have let you know really soon after talking with you the first time. Good luck with this. And don't sell yourself short. Your cakes are absolutely amazing!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%