How Do You Store Your Un-Iced Cakes?

Decorating By patton78 Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 10:21am by KodiSnip

patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 12

I had to make 3 cakes today that I will not to ice until Thursday morning. What is the best way to store them?

11 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 12

I double wrap them in plastic wrap, then put them in a ziplock baggie. You can get really big baggies, which helps with the larger cakes!

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I double wrap them in plastic wrap, then put them in a ziplock baggie. You can get really big baggies, which helps with the larger cakes!

can you crumb coat them at this time or would you wait, im making one for Saturday evening and would like to know how soon i can bake these 8in and 10in stacked for this birthday and them still be fresh for Saturday

patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 12

Do you store the wrapped cakes in the fridge or on the counter?

TOMAY Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 12

I usually crumb coat freez unwrapped for 10 min to get hard and then either freeze totally until the day of decorating or refridge I have great results when i freeze as it is easier for me to ice when they are frozen icon_biggrin.gif

buffim Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 12

I double wrap mine in saran wrap as well. Sometimes I put them in the freezer for a couple of days (ie if I bake today I would pop them in the freezer until I started working on them, probably Thursday for a Saturday wedding).

I haven't had any problems with drying out etc.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

Do you store the wrapped cakes in the fridge or on the counter?

I usually store them on the counter but i usually ice them the next day after i bake them, i dont know how long they will keep if not frozen

buffim Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 12

I double wrap mine in saran wrap as well. Sometimes I put them in the freezer for a couple of days (ie if I bake today I would pop them in the freezer until I started working on them, probably Thursday for a Saturday wedding).

I haven't had any problems with drying out etc.

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 12

I always put the wrapped cakes in the fridge. It's just easier handling cold cakes (but I don't want them frozen when I ice them). I never crumb coat first, but there's no reason why you couldn't.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I always put the wrapped cakes in the fridge. It's just easier handling cold cakes (but I don't want them frozen when I ice them). I never crumb coat first, but there's no reason why you couldn't.

Thanks

juhnelly1 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:59am
post #11 of 12

does covering the cakes in saran not result in the sticky tops?

KodiSnip Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:21am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhnelly1

does covering the cakes in saran not result in the sticky tops?

As long as your cakes are COMPLETELY COOL and I mean really completely cool, they don't get sticky tops. When I freeze mine and let them sit is when they get sticky (its the condensation from being frozen). I try not to do that but in the heat of the battle...i mean while decorating... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%