Newbie To Cookie Decorating Help?

Baking By moegee09 Updated 28 Sep 2006 , 1:56pm by moegee09

moegee09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moegee09 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

New to fancy cookie decorating. I always decorate christmas cookies, but for that my mom usually makes simple powdered sugar glaze icing. could I frost cookies with royal and buttercream. And do I just just a regular piping bag?

5 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 6

Royal is really good for fancy decorating. You can also use buttercream or Marshmallow fondant or rolled buttercream (very similar to fondant).

Welcome to Cake Central!!

Cindy

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 6

Royal icing is my favorite for decorating cookies. Once it dries, the cookies can be stacked. I recently discovered that cookies frosted with royal can be frozen and thawed with no ill effect. Just be sure to separate each layer.

blondie500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie500 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

I've never done cookies before, but I'm going to attempt some for my sister-in-law's shower. I ordered a 4" baby bottle, but when I received it, it seemed small. I know the cookies spread a bit, so I don't know if I should order the 5" size. I only plan on putting on icing, then writing, "Baby ____". Do you think the 4" will be sufficient, or should I bump up to the larger size? Thanks for anyone's help.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 6

I decorate all of my cookies with buttercream. I think the taste is much better with buttercream vs. the royal icing. After I decorate my cookies, I let them sit out over night and by the morning they are ready to be stacked, or put in bags!

moegee09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moegee09 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%