I Really Want This Job!!!

Decorating By dandelion Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 4:58am by CourtneysCustomCakes

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 54

hi everyone. i'm kind of a lurker here at cc. i make the occasional comment, but mostly i just scan the forums and galleries appreciating all the talent here.
today i am going in to my local bakery for an interview. it's actually rather high end and mostly does wedding cakes and fancy elegant-looking cakes. i'm really excited and nervous! it would be a short-term dream come true! (even though i'm just applying to be a cashier/salesperson) but since i'm only 16 and i haven't had a job before, i'm afraid they won't want me. icon_cry.gif
i've created a mini-portfolio that i'm going to bring. and i also have my (rather unimpressive) resume.
wish me luck!
~Sandra

53 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 54

Best of luck and just be yourself.. Im sure you will do fine... take a deep breath...

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 54

Good luck and just be yourself and you will get the job

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 54

best of luck, let us know how it goes

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 54

best wishes and good luck icon_smile.gif I'm sure it will go wonderfully!

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 54

Dont' worry about your age. I have a sister that is trying to geta job at a bakery that is opening soon and she is only 16 as well. They are impressed with the cakes she has helped me do so that means alot. She only wants right now to be a cleaner for them but with the way she can do cakes if she gets the job I think she will help with the cakes as well. As of now it will be only 2 of them but when they get off to a start then I am hoping they will hire her.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 54

Try not to be nervous. I have looked at your pics. You have a wide range of techniques. You look like you have fun doing what you do........let that come across to them. Be enthusiastic, and full of energy. Let them know that just working around the cake industry will make you happy. Be flexible with your hours and days you can work. You won't have to rely on good luck to get you the job. You have what it takes....let them see that when you walk in the door.

krismorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krismorales Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 54

Don't short change yourself. You have a lot to offer. You have some built in expertise that they might not even expect to get from a 16 year old. And, a possible advantage for you, you will be in a perfect position to learn from watching and, if your lucky, by trying some of the techniques they use at the bakery. Like someone else said, just be yourself...let them know you are interested in learning things beyond the things they hire you for if the opportunity comes up. I find that people are more than willing to teach what they know to someone who has a true interest. Good luck.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 54

Only 16??! I looked at your cakes and you certainly have a natural talent.
If they called you for an interview, they must not be concerned about your age- they must be impressed with YOU or your resume.
Just be yourself, take the pictures of your cakes just in case, to show you know something about the business and just -go for it!

Best of luck fellow cake-er. thumbs_up.gif

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 54

I think your handwriting is wonderful and I really like that basetball cake. You do very nice borders.

They would be lucky to have you!!!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 54

Good luck Sandra and let us know how it goes! You're a very talented 16yr old! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 54

Your work is very impressive for one so young. I'm sure you will do well. Keep us posted.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 54

dandelion:
Doesn't matter if you are 16 or 61......the key is to walk with confidence, show them you are willing to learn, talk about great customer service since you already have the interview you have already won........

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 54

I agree with Tiptop57. Your age doesn't matter. You do great work -- you should be proud of it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. icon_smile.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 54

Having worked in bakeries myself they really appreciate having someone who can make roses, ice a cake smooth, and write on cakes. I think you have a great head start. I worked as a cashier in a bakery too and that's how I learned most of what I know about decorating. They are usually short handed and even if you are hired as a cashier, you'll probably be stacking cakes soon. (filling and crumbcoating). Good luck. I hope you get the job because you do have the skills.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 54

You could even offer to work for a week without pay, almost like an intern. They wouldn't be taking a risk hiring you, and it might make you stand out from the crowd!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 54

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

tnuty Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:52pm
post #18 of 54

So did you get the job?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #19 of 54

Be prepared with answers to some common interview questions, such as the famous "Tell me a little about yourself"

dandelion Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 54

GUESS WHAT! I'M HIRED! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

so i went in and the hiring manager talked to me a bit. i think it was all pretty unconventional. mostly she told me about what's expected of an employee and she only asked me questions about my scheduel. and then she just asked me if i could go in TODAY. and i got a bit confused because she hadn't exactly explained if she wanted to hire me or not.
basically today was a training session and i thoroughly enjoyed it. i loved the atmosphere and all the people there were very friendly. there were a lot more employees than i expected..maybe 7 or 8 people there total.
the manager said that right now there quite a few of her employees aregoing off to college in a bit and they want to earn some extra money before they leave, so i'll start for reals in a couple of weeks.

YAY! I'M SO HAPPY I GOT THE JOB!!!

thank you all so much for the encouragement. icon_smile.gif [[[hugs]]] to all you lovely ccers!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 54

congratulations!! icon_biggrin.gif so happy for you!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:27pm
post #22 of 54

Have a Party with Cake! party.gifparty.gifparty.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:38pm
post #23 of 54

The important thing is to get your foot in the door. I'm sure once they see your cakes/cookies photos they will allow you to do more. Best of luck to you sweetie. I saw your photos and let me tell you....You are one talented girl. too bad there's not that many out there like you.

BLESSINGS

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:39pm
post #24 of 54

Congratulations, I'm sure you will do well and have fun.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #25 of 54

congratulations, that is wonderful,

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #26 of 54

Congrats!! To have a job that you can enjoy is a wonderful thing.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:57am
post #27 of 54

CONGRATULATIONS....this could be the start of something big! !

tnuty Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:18am
post #28 of 54

Congratulations,,, sounds like a wonderful beginning for you, and sounds like a reasons to celebrate with cake...Im so happy for you icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:15am
post #29 of 54

thanks everybody!

i'm wondering if i should give the manager a thankyou card just saying: thanks for the interview and the training session, i look forward to working for you. ?

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #30 of 54

Congratulations! I'd love to work in a bakery.

I don't know. It is nice and professional to send a thank you after an interview, but if you are hired immediately and already working...uhhh. Don't know, that's an interesting question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%