1St Time Posting Pics Honest Opinions Please!!

Decorating By amvjrb Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm by armywife1

amvjrb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amvjrb Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:57am
post #1 of 24

So this is my first post on here with pics. My compliments to all of the CC'ers on here for all of their hard work and BEAUTIFUL cakes!!

These are the cakes I did for my 10 year old son's end of the season baseball party, and my 4 year old son's birthday. What would be a good price for these cakes? The baseball field is 2 layer 12x12 square cake and the "capitillar"(as my son called it) is 2 bundt pans put togather.

Honest opinions please. I could use some critisism from my peers. My 4 year old always says "Wow mommy that cake is beautiful!! Now can I have some" LOL He is a sweet-a-holic!! And the other 2 boys could care less so long as they get to lick the beaters and eat the cutoff pieces!

I hope to be as good as you all on here someday when "I grow up"!
LL
LL

23 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:09am
post #2 of 24

These are great icon_biggrin.gif ! I love the catepillar, very cute and original. Welcome to CC icon_lol.gif . You will get so many great ideas from the talented people on this site thumbs_up.gif .

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:15am
post #3 of 24

Your cakes are GREAT ! I'll bet the kids loved them ! I like the way you incorporate the board into the designs.......

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:20am
post #4 of 24

wow...they look great!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:32am
post #5 of 24

you did a great job...you should be proud. i usually start my 3D cakes at $50.00...all depends on the time/material etc.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 24

Fantastic! I never thought of breaking up a bundt pan - looks like I'll be 'borrowing' your idea! Sorry I can't offer any constructive criticism.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 24

I never thought of the bundt cake thing either! Hmmm... I like it! The only thing I can think in the way of constructive criticism is... adding more details. Otherwise... fantastic cakes!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 24

These are great cakes. Well done thumbs_up.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 24

They look great! Good job! thumbs_up.gif

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 24

Nice work - - - I agree to adding more detail, sometines it might be just dots or other markings with frosting that's the same color; showing texture.

sbarri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbarri Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 24

THESE ARE GREAT CAKES...WAY TO GO!!! thumbs_up.gif

abi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:54am
post #12 of 24

very cute!

dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:05am
post #13 of 24

These are great, girl! Be proud! thumbs_up.gif Keep posting your cake pics because you obviously have some fun ideas for cakes!

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:16am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

My 4 year old always says "Wow mommy that cake is beautiful!! Now can I have some" LOL He is a sweet-a-holic!! And the other 2 boys could care less so long as they get to lick the beaters and eat the cutoff pieces!

Your kids sound soooo cute! I agree with the 4 year old- your cakes are wonderful! Well done and welcome to CC! thumbs_up.gif

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:30am
post #15 of 24

I think these are great! Love the bundt pan 'caterpillar' thumbs_up.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:45am
post #16 of 24

I think you did an outstanding job on your cakes. I love the capitillar! great idea. I bet those boys really enjoyed digging in.

Marzbar71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marzbar71 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 24

The caterpillar is darling! The only thing I would say was I'm not sure I like the wrapping paper on the cake board.

I can't decide if it's because it takes away from the cuteness of the cake or if it's because the design is upside down in relation to the cake.

But I think I'll also "steal" your bundt pan idea - too clever!

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:46am
post #18 of 24

They look great!!!!

Thanks for sharing,
stacy

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 24

The cakes look great especially for just starting out! I would've used a lot less colorful paper for the caterpillar board though... it does take away a lot... welcome to CC!

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:55pm
post #20 of 24

I loved both cakes. The only thing I question is the wrapping paper. You should only use paper that is FDA approved. Regular wrapping paper and contact paper have dyes that get into your cake and may be harmful. I would suggest putting wax or parchment paper under you cake to prevent contamination.

Way to go on the cakes. I will be stealing the bundt cake idea also. thumbs_up.gif

amvjrb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amvjrb Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:04am
post #21 of 24

Thanks to all for your comments....it was a late night when I put the catapillar togather upside dowm on the paper LOl oh well live and learn. I did use wrapping paper on the board BUT, it was covered with saran wrap and I was out of aluminum foil.....to late to go to wal mart!
Thanks again for all of your comments!!!

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #22 of 24

I really like both cakes -- they are adorable and unique!

It looks like the baseball players aren't standing on the cake itself -- is that right? I can't tell from the pic. But, if they aren't placed on the baseball field, I would suggest putting them on the field and not along the side.

Again, too cute! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 24

Very nice work!

I too thing the caterpillar could of used some more detail and a plain background...one that is approved and or put wax paper under your cake.

The baseball field was nice as well. The players on the field would've been nice. I am not sure why you used sand on the bottom or on the board area? With that cake I would think that the cake alone would look cute and you would only need a slightly larger board to go underneath. Then you could've used the grass tip on the bottom to finish it off with that border.

both cakes are very nicely done....and smooth! I don't think my icing would've looked that nice on the caterpillar! Keep up the good work! You will find so many tips and ideas on here! Don't be afraid to take that little extra step!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm
post #24 of 24

i think you did a nice job on those cakes, too. once you become a CC addict like the rest of us icon_wink.gif you will be able to get some more great ideas for your cakes; ie coloring, details, covering your cake board with fondant, etc. keep up the great work. hope to see more of it posted here. thumbs_up.gif
usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%