To Those Who Have Made Fairytale Castle Wedding Cakes.......

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 2:01pm by sudha dev

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 15

how much did you charge per serving? I have a request for a quote for one done in fondant, fairly intricate design, lots of super pearl and silver lustre dust, but I have no idea what to charge..........help, please! She wants it based on the cake below by Classic Cakes but with changes to make it 'theirs' (butterflies instead of fairies and the like). Any idea (it's for 120 servings)???
LL

14 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 15

I've never actually charged for my castle cakes, but for that one you have the picture of I'd say $5/serving. That's a lot of work.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 15

Bumping for anymore opinions on what to charge for this cake, I'm suppsed to giver her a quote in the morning - thanks!

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 3:27am
post #4 of 15

I also like the $5 per serving but I might go $6... At $5 per serving, that cake is running $600. It's a huge cake, lots of work, tons of extra detailing. It kind of depends on what your market will support too. Around here, in certain neighborhoods, no one would blink at a $700 cake.

I'd also charge extra for any pastillage/gum paste/fondant moldings and creations... a per piece price.
Also figure in how much luster you're going to need and bump it up there too.

Please tell me there's no fussy filling in that sucker! LOL

That cake is a bucket of work! But I wanna see pictures when you're finished. icon_biggrin.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:13am
post #5 of 15

4.50-5.00 per serving

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:18am
post #6 of 15

No fussy fillings really:

We decided on 3 tiers, not 4,consisting of:

15in lemon hexagon with lemon buttercream filling
10in carrot square with vanilla buttercream filling
6in brownie round with chocolate fudge filling

All scratch baked!!! Gumpaste glittery butterflies instead of the fairies, silver fondant vines, and she wants steps put in somehow (not sure how I'm going to do that!), plus Debbie Brown's Cinderella Carriage as a separate cake to the side. Oh, and she wants a gumpaste glass slipper and parcel as keepsakes!

I'm getting stressed just thinking about this one - so I'm going to make it worth my while (plus I will have to take the week off work to do this thing!). I'm working on about 625 euros for the lot ($795/£420), including delivery, set-up and staying to serve). Does that sound fair, too much, too little? I still haven't given her a quote yet icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:34am
post #7 of 15

I think that sounds fair. It is a lot of work and very intricate. She might decide not to do it at that price but it would save you headaches if she does.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:59am
post #8 of 15

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif , just discovered (by stacking the pans!), that a 10in square will not go on a 15in hexagon icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ! So my alternative new combination is:

12in square
10in round
6in hexagon

Looks nice together and will give room for lots of turrets etc, but gives exactly 120 servings (which I was struggling to get with other combinations!).

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 15

What did you finally quote? I think you could have even gone a little higher than what you stated - can't wait to see the finished pic!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 15

That cake is unreal! $5 per serving seems too low for such a lobor-intensive and elaborate cake. Is it worth it for you to take the whole week off if you charge $795 (US)? That is an incredible cake... it reminds me of one I saw on Earlene's site and I think her's was almost or over $1000.

I realize that is a lot of money but people who order this kind of cake have to be willing to spend alot. Whatever you do, do not undercut yourself or it will be the longest most miserable week of your life! icon_smile.gif

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:55am
post #11 of 15

I'd charge at least $1000 for that. It's awesome. AWESOME. I want to do one now. My sister is getting married in 6 months and she's open to a fabulous non traditional cake. Maybe I can do that one. icon_biggrin.gif I want to see a picture when you're done.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 7:56am
post #12 of 15

I ended up charging them 600 euros ($760) for the castle & carriage. I only work part time and will lose about 100 euros in wages not working that week, but have charged the same per hour into the cost of the cake. She's also going to pay me in cash, so I don't have to be so concerned with Mr Taxman getting any of it icon_razz.gif ! I reckon the ingredients, gas & utilities shouldn't come to more than 150 - 200 euros. That leaves about 400 euros 'wages' for my time, I suppose it depends on how long it takes me as to whether I undercharged or not! I'm going to take it as a learning experience (not ever having done a castle!), count all the time, and then I'll know for future reference. I have changed my wedding pricing now after reading all your comments and checking out what the local bakeries charge for boring old wedding cakes (plain fondant and a few (ugly) roses - which are the only options from a Dutch bakery - an average of 3.60 euros ($4.50) per person icon_surprised.gif !). In the future a 3D cake like this castle & carriage will start at 5 euros ($6.35) per serving, so if she had come to me today with the same request I would have charged her more like 800 euros ($1013) - oh well, you live and learn icon_rolleyes.gif !

MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 15

I emailed the only other place in the city that might be capable of doing this cake to ask them how much they would charge.................

Well, I just got a reply........12 euros ($15.25) PER SERVING icon_surprised.gif for the castle alone, not even considering the Cinderella carriage. That means that just for the castle they would want over 1400 euros ($1825) icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif . I've only charged 600 euros ($760) for the castle AND carriage - am I an idiot or what icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ! It's not like they have much more experience/skill than me either - they've never even done a 3D cake that I can see, nevermind this complicated castle!.

To top it all, my couple thought I was overcharging them and was expensive (but have agreed to it and are in the process of signing the contract).

icon_confused.gif . Guess it's time to raise my prices huh?! icon_rolleyes.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 15

Oh wow, they are getting a good deal. I would have charge $8.00 per serving especially with the carriage and slipper added to it. I can't wait to see your pictures!
Jacqui

sudha dev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sudha dev Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 15

what a beautiful cake. How did you make the pillars And the details on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%