A Way To Make Extra Money

Business By brnrlvr Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm by brnrlvr

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 55

I put a bakery in the downstairs of my house. One of the things I feature is Birthday Baking Bashes. Depending on the age, kids mix their own cake, then while they are baking and cooling, they play games, open presents, eat cake and ice cream, and pizza (if the parent supplies it). Then they pick the color they want to frost their cake, color the frosting, and decorate with colors and bags I have premade. It usually takes about 2 1/2 hours and I get $12.00 a kid. I suppy ingreds, a 8inch-2 layer birthday cake, ice cream and pop. Parents can order pizza if they want. The kids and parents have loved it- the kids for the fun, and they parents for the mess not in their house! icon_smile.gif

Just another thing to do with the bakery when I'm not using it. Here are some pictures...
LL
LL
LL
LL

54 replies
Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 55

great Idea! Up your price to 15 per kid and let them take the bags and tips home so you don't have to wash them...hehehehe

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggshells

great Idea! Up your price to 15 per kid and let them take the bags and tips home so you don't have to wash them...hehehehe

hahahaha! That is a great idea!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

brnrlvr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:09am
post #4 of 55

hee hee hee! Excellent idea!! icon_biggrin.gif

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #5 of 55

Oh that is so cool..wished i lived by you..id pay you 24 dollars to have my kids at your house..lmao

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #6 of 55

How cool is that! and I love the chef hats so cute!

brnrlvr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 55

Thanks! I made matching aprons and chef hats for the kids to really get into the spirit. I thought they would be resistant, but they always fight over them- all ages!

brnrlvr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #8 of 55

Oh no! I was just informed that I am not supposed to post pictures with faces in them!! As soon as I figure out how to remove them I will!!

Sorry!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #9 of 55

that's a good idea. I only rent a space through the church but if ever I was to open up a storefront--this is a great idea.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:36am
post #10 of 55

that's an AWESOME idea!! do you have a minimum age? do you have a pattern for those too cool hats? i want to do theme christmas gifts for my nieces & nephews this year -they love to cook- and those would be perfect!

ljberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljberry Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #11 of 55

This is so much fun. I gave my great neice a cake decorating party when she was 8 and they had a ball.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #12 of 55

That is so cute!!

Kinda how I imagined my "Kakes for Kids" classes would be (at Michael's).......but no one has signed up icon_sad.gif

brnrlvr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #13 of 55

Yea, I fixed the pictures!

imagine76 - Kinda an age minimum- I find that younger than 8-9, the kids don't have the hand strength or dexterity(sp?) to squeeze the bags. So younger than 8 they do cookie parties with spatulas and sprinkles. The hat is a pattern from simplicity or butterricks- was an adult apron and hat and a kid size apron and hat. the apron neck is adjustable on this pattern which wasn't on anyother Ilooked at. That works well with the difference in kid sizes.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #14 of 55

That's a really great idea!!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #15 of 55

Do all of the kids get a cake to decorate? This is a great idea!

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:00am
post #16 of 55

That is such an awsome idea! There is a place here in Tennessee that does kids cooking classes I thinkit is called Little Chefs or something like that ... not sure if they baking or just cooking though.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:01am
post #17 of 55

Love this idea! In fact, I'm having a cake decorating slumber party for my daughter's 8th birthday this year, as I don't have a bakery, there will be very limited guests squeezed around my kitchen table. icon_lol.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:10am
post #18 of 55

Looks like a lot of fun.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #19 of 55

There is a GS patch for cake decorating that I plan on doing with the girls.
That will be a blast.
thumbs_up.gif

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #20 of 55

I agree, this is a great idea! Have you also thought about a cake baking/decorating class for kids (and adults) that isn't birthday related? Most of my friends aren't bakers and I'm sure they would love for me to teach their kids how. icon_biggrin.gif

Very cool. If I had anything other than my kitchen, I would do this too.

Happy Day,
Steph

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #21 of 55

This is such a great idea and you could adapt it to other things like. Bachelerette parties make - "intresting shapped cakes and let the ladies decorate them" Or a senior center might appreciate this as an activity they go to.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:50pm
post #22 of 55

I have thought of a "take home" version. Sell boxed up packages of cupcakes/6" cakes with premade icing in bags, sprinkles, and other things kids would have fun decorating with. This way they wouldn't even have to come to you home - way easier on the clean up! LOL

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:03pm
post #23 of 55

Carson,
Oooh, I like that idea too! You could do a theme of the month/seasonal type thing and include a newsletter with pictures of decorating ideas.

Happy Day,
Steph

brnrlvr Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:11pm
post #24 of 55

twooten173- yes all the kids have their own set of equipment,hand mixer, etc, and mix their own cake ( I talk about how to measure properly, why yiou break an egg in a sperate bowl first, etc) each gets their own turntable and icing to color for icing the cake and then they have to use the premade bags with an asortment of tips- #3, #18, and big drop flower tips. I show them what each tip can do - then let them go at it!!

korkyo-ahh,that explains why I had a lady call yesterday that signed up two groups that are girlscouts!

Steph2325 -yep- I do anything the group wants. I do "ladies night out" parties that are BYOB, that range from teaching to just decorating pemade x-mas cutouts while sipping wine and listening to carols!

lorabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorabelle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:00am
post #25 of 55

That is such a great idea! Kudos for using the downtime in your kitchen for something fun and profitable. I bet the kids would love to top their own pizzas, too. You could have crusts prebaked and then just reheat once they top their own little pizzas!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #26 of 55

Oh the endless possibilities!

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #27 of 55

I did a little cooking party for my son's daycare.
They all loved it so much. I made everything ahead of the time.
My babysitter was grateful too, she got a little break from everything.
All the kids were able to decorate it however they wanted too.
It was alot of fun for everybody.

amysjustpeachy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysjustpeachy Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #28 of 55

I think this is a wonderful idea, and since I live in an apartment and am not licensed, I would bring all the supplies with me to the event. Of course, I'd probably limit it to just pre-baked cakes and cookies, and just teach decorating techniques.....
Also, I think parents would love someone else doing the party clean-up...for a fee, of course!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #29 of 55

Funny, I was JUST thinking about this as a take home party package for my website (We did something like this for my son's 7th birthday)... Do you mind if we use your idea? i LOVE it. I sew too, so this would be so super easy!

Hmmm... the wheels are TURNING! Now to figure out pricing!

Melissa

brnrlvr Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #30 of 55

Go for it CC'ers! That's my point of posting! Unless you live in the same town as me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%