Dummy Cakes

Decorating By heracastle Updated 14 Mar 2005 , 6:29pm by kate

heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 19 Jan 2005 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 20

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a question about dummy cakes. Can you reuse them? How do you do that. The ones I've seen seem to be very porous and would suck in the icing. I want to practice decorating, but don't want to have to give a way or eat a bunch of cake. My hind section is big enough. LOL.

Happy decorating,
Michelle

19 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Jan 2005 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 20

Dummy cakes are wonderful, I just them for experimenting all the timel! They can be used over and over. All I do is rinse them under warm water and the icing comes off. If you have royal icing on there, just gently work it off with your fingers while running under the warm water!! Pat dry and you're ready to go again. Happy baking, Missey

heracastle Posted 20 Jan 2005 , 6:10am
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Dummy cakes are wonderful, I just them for experimenting all the timel! They can be used over and over. All I do is rinse them under warm water and the icing comes off. If you have royal icing on there, just gently work it off with your fingers while running under the warm water!! Pat dry and you're ready to go again. Happy baking, Missey

Hello Missey,

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to definatly have to invest in some dummy cakes. My family (translation: me) doesn't need to eat much more cake or we'll be shopping at the tent makers shop. LOL icon_lol.gif

Happy Decorating,
Michelle

MariaLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLove Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 20

I have a friend who a pastry chef and he has given me a tip on "dummy cakes"...he said you can easily make them using styrofoam that you can get at a craft store and attach contact paper to them so your decorations are easy to clean up.

heracastle Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLove

attach contact paper to them so your decorations are easy to clean up.

Hello MariaLove,

That's a good idea. thumbs_up.gif I'll have to try that. Thank you. I'm going to go this weekend and get some styrofoam so I'll pick up some contact paper and give it a try. Thank you.

Happy decorating,
Michelle

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 20

Maria, I like that idea. thumbs_up.gif Michelle, how did this work out for you?

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 20

It's seems like contact paper would be too slippery to hold side icing. Very interesting!!

lovetobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobake Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 3:26am
post #8 of 20

I was told to use saran wrap that way the grease won't ruin your cake dummy. icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 1:40am
post #9 of 20

Again- I would have been afraid of Saran Wrap for the same reason- slippery...

heracastle Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 2:06am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TenderHeart

Maria, I like that idea. thumbs_up.gif Michelle, how did this work out for you?

I went to wal-mart and got some styrofoam. It took 3 circles to make the right heigth and then covered it all in contact paper. My thinking was this would make clean up easy and hold the layers together. I put the icing on with the icing tip because it was slick. THe hardest thing I ran into was cleaning it up. Water got down in the contact paper and I had to take it all off. I was afraid of it molding. I used it a couple times that week then pulled the contact paper off. I've not tried the plastic wrap yet.

Hope that helps,
Michelle

-TenderHeart Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 2:16am
post #11 of 20

Thank you for the update, Michelle. icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 2:19am
post #12 of 20

What about the weight of the dummy? Cakes are heavy. I would imagine the Styrofoam would be very light. Does it "knock-around" easily while trying to ice it or have we hot-glued it to the board?

heracastle Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 5:36am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

What about the weight of the dummy? Cakes are heavy. I would imagine the Styrofoam would be very light. Does it "knock-around" easily while trying to ice it or have we hot-glued it to the board?

It did move around a lot. I didn't use a board the first time it was on my cake taker so I just held it. Most of the times I use the faux fondant recipe so by the time I got half way around the cake I could place a paper towel on my hand and just hold the styofoam that way. Hope that makes sense. icon_lol.gif I did try putting some packing tape that had been folded over to hold. It helped a little. I think if I wasn't going to reuse the dummy it would get glued to the cardboard.

Happy Decorating,
Michelle

Amely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amely Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 20

I bought a large piece of styrofoam (the one for insulation) in a hardware store. I cut it at home. I packed it in plastic wrap (be careful to remove all the air bubbles) and put over my buttercream icing. It worked perfectly.

As for weight... yes, it's light. So either fix it with some icing to the turntable (that's what I did) or use a fork. Insert a sturdy fork in the bottom of the dummy and ice it "in the air". To remove the fork, place the dummy on the edge of table and support it from below. With the other hand, remove the fork.

Amely icon_smile.gif

-TenderHeart Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 3:57am
post #15 of 20

I would have thought that the icing would slide right off all these things--saran wrap, bubble wrap, and contact paper--, so this is all quite interesting. thumbs_up.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 7:46am
post #16 of 20

OK if one wanted to get some dummy cakes, where would you find them?
I am sure that I wouldnt find them around here in Germany, but when I get back to the states this summer!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:05pm
post #17 of 20

I just read on another board about using the styrofoam you purchase for insulation at the hardware store. You will have to cut the circles or squares yourself... and that leaves a ragged edge... but the poster went on to say she then ironed it with her clothes iron and they smoothed right out!!

I gotta try it!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 20

...hhmm! Never would have thought of that! I imagine you would have to put a rag or something in between the foam and the iron? icon_rolleyes.gif

heracastle Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 4:44am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

OK if one wanted to get some dummy cakes, where would you find them?
I am sure that I wouldnt find them around here in Germany, but when I get back to the states this summer!!

I got mine from the craft department at walmart. They were around the flowers for making floral arrangments. I hope that helps.

Good luck,
Michelle

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 20

When ironing the dummies cut from insulation styrofoam, use wax paper and a low iron. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%