Instead Of Cup Cakes

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 6 Jul 2005 , 3:29am by susanmm23

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 12:09am
post #1 of 20

I have a 4 inch round and a 4 inch heart. I was thinking how cute they would be for my kids class parties instead of making cupcakes. what do you guys think? i dont think there is much difference in amount of cake each child would be getting.

19 replies
GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 12:46am
post #2 of 20

It is a great idea, but I would hate to have to ice all those sides!!!! 24 cupcakes is a lot easier than 24 mini cakes, IMHO.

susanmm23 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 12:58am
post #3 of 20

very true. i cant wait for school to start back up so i can try it out and see how it goes.

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:00am
post #4 of 20

It's a lot easier to ice mini cakes if you warm up the frosting to a pourable consistency and give them several coats. Put them on a cooling rack over a big bowl and reuse what runs off into the bowl, kind of like doing giant petits fours.

Illy

susanmm23 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:04am
post #5 of 20

great idea!!!!!! halloween come on!!! lol

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:14am
post #6 of 20

That really is a good idea Illy, thanks a lot! I love the look of the mini cakes, but sure do hate to ice them! Janice

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:22am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilithiya

It's a lot easier to ice mini cakes if you warm up the frosting to a pourable consistency and give them several coats. Put them on a cooling rack over a big bowl and reuse what runs off into the bowl, kind of like doing giant petits fours.

Illy

If you can do that for minicakes, why can't you do that for cakes you are going to put fondant on? Think I'm going to try it.

Debbi

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 20

post how it turns out deb it sounds like an interesting idea.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 20

Another Idea instead of Cupcakes. Still using your 4" Cirle and Heart

First Spray your cookie cutters with non stick spray.
Make a batch or two of Rice Crispies and while they are warm, push them into the cookie cutters, Remove cookie cutter and do it again.

I did this for work on Valentine's day. I then decorated just the tops of the Rice Crispy treats. This was great for a few reasons:
1) I didn't have to worry about icing the sides b/c the rice crispies weren't going to dry out.
2) They came together much faster (for me) than baking/cutting a cake
3) There were no wrappers (like cupcakes) and the sides weren't frosted so less mess on the hands
4) They were firm enough for my co-workers to juts pick-up and go (we have people in and out of the business all day going to different jobs)
5) I haven't met anyone that doesn't like rice crispy treats, where as if I made a cake some people don't like certain flavors and so on.

Just another Idea, it has worked for me in the past. Also this weekend I am planning on doing the same thing again. We are taking my BF's Nephew and his family to a Theme park for the nephews B-day. Instead of taking a cake and worring about it in the heat I am going to make Rice Crispy SQ's decorated as Spongebob per the B-day boy's request. I will post pics as soon as I get them.

Leily

susanmm23 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 20

speaking of rice crispies my cousin said a guy he works with brought in a rice crispies cake. anyone ever hear of this. the way he talks i dont think it was just a big rice crispy i think it was some how a mixture of a cake and rice crispy trat.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:34am
post #11 of 20

Do they still make the Rice Crispies in colors? If they do that would make these treats even more fun, especially if you are going to decorate them.
Janice

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:37am
post #12 of 20

i dont know i havent looked in a while. if not i read that you can use food coloring on them.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:38am
post #13 of 20

The only rice crispy cake i have heard of is actually putting the rice crispies in a cake pan, making your different layers then decorating like a normal cake. I have seen somewhere on the web where someone did this for there wedding cake. Looked like a real cake until they cut into it. That is originaly where i got the idea to use rice crispies instead of cake or cookies for something different. So I guess to answer your question, to my knowledge it is just one big rice crispy. But if anyone else has a recipe with cake, I would be interested in knowing how it turns out.

Leily

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:45am
post #14 of 20

ok after calling my cousin he says it was a regular rice crispy decorated like a cake. oh well i think that would be cute. small decorated rice crispy treats those kids will love them.

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:55am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

I have a 4 inch round and a 4 inch heart. I was thinking how cute they would be for my kids class parties instead of making cupcakes. what do you guys think? i dont think there is much difference in amount of cake each child would be getting.

My only question with that is how much a mess it would be to cut and serve the cakes in class...

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:56am
post #16 of 20

oh they wouldnt be cut. each child would get one 4 inch cake.

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:14am
post #17 of 20

I can't remember who, but someone on this site made adorable Spiderman rice crispy treats. They are on the user's photo screen. I will look and see if I can find it. I believe they tinted the marshmellow red, and then decorated with icing for the web and other details. They looked great! I was thinking about trying that myself. You could always use those icing writers...or if you didn't want the icing to be able to smear at all, you could use the CK brand candy writers. They come in a bunch of colors and then I wouldn't think the decorations could smudge. They are excellent for small details.

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:18am
post #18 of 20

yes they are. i dont think i have seen the spiderman treats. what a great idea for a birthday party. maybe i will make my hubby some fish shapped for his birthday.

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:26am
post #19 of 20

I found them, I just did a search in the photo gallery on Spiderman. They were made by smileyface. They are great looking. I hope she doesn't mind if I post the link to them - they are awesome!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=558&cat=0&pos=1

She tinted the marshmellow and then decorated with buttercream icing.

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:29am
post #20 of 20

wow thats great i added them to my favs so ic an go back and look at them when i make some of my own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%