Worst Cake Day If My Life!

Decorating By Esther Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 5:25pm by Esther

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 3

I had a horrible cake day yesterday. I messed up my hubby's bday cake and a 4th of july practise cake.

If you would like to read the whole storry, click the link

http://www.tankandsunflower.net/Cakes.htm

and scroll down to "cake disaster I" and "cake disaster II"

I learned something the hard way:

1. My cream cheese frosting recipe tastes YUMMI, but it is an absolutely NO NO for decorating
2. NEVER, NEVER bake and decorate cakes, when I have a full house (We have family over for 4th of July)
3. For an "official" cake, never try something new. Always try it out on a practise cake
4. ALWAYS check cakecentral or the internet, if I am not sure about the consistency of the frosting or cake...

I feel horrible...

Esther

2 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 3

Well, first of all I am not clear on if you used the cream cheese frosting for the transfer too or just the icing. Personally I have never found any cream cheese icing recipe and I have used a lot of them, would smooth well. Nor have I found that it worked well for decorating for anything other than a star or shell border. Doesn't matter what is in it or how much icing sugar added, it doesn't firm up enough for me.
I know some folks only refrigerate buttercream transfers, personally I only freeze them as I find that they don't set up enough when just refrigerated.
Sorry you had such a bad time of it!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well, first of all I am not clear on if you used the cream cheese frosting for the transfer too or just the icing. Personally I have never found any cream cheese icing recipe and I have used a lot of them, would smooth well. Nor have I found that it worked well for decorating for anything other than a star or shell border. Doesn't matter what is in it or how much icing sugar added, it doesn't firm up enough for me.
I know some folks only refrigerate buttercream transfers, personally I only freeze them as I find that they don't set up enough when just refrigerated.
Sorry you had such a bad time of it!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I made the BCT in advanced with my butter cream icing and I also put it right away in the freezer. Normally, after my BCT firms up, I'll put it in a zip loc bag and keep it in the freezer until I put it on the cake.... I only transfered this one to the fridge, because I needet room for the two cakes in the freezer. I hoped that the Cream Cheese frosting will crust at least a little bit in the freezer icon_rolleyes.gif . I should have put the BCT back into the freezer to get it back frozen, but somehow I felt rushed all day and I didnt think about that icon_sad.gif

Lesson learned... (I add more details on my webpage. You are right, I didn't write clear enough what I used for the BCT and if it was frozen or not, Thanks! thumbs_up.gif )

Thanks for the hug, I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%