Dissapointed :(

Decorating By treys_girl04 Updated 24 Sep 2006 , 7:13pm by Derby

treys_girl04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treys_girl04 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:21am
post #1 of 25

my friend asked me to do her sons b-day cake. she told me what she wanted but when i asked her about paying for it, she said she didnt really have the money right now. I was only going to charge her $20 to cover supplies and stuff, but no big deal. i couldnt take it to the party, so her mom picked it up. i thought she would be delighted and call to tell me how it looked and tasted, she never did. i called her and asked, she just said "it was good" thats it?!? nothing else? no "cute cake" or "it was yummy" ? *pout* to me, compliments are more the payoff than money, and i get bummed out when people are not as excited about the cake as i am. here is a pic. the cars are not mmf, they are happy meal toys..cause i cant do fondant modeling!!

24 replies
missiekay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missiekay Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:24am
post #2 of 25

that is really cute! I think you did a great job!

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:25am
post #3 of 25

WOW you cake is so cool! I can't believe she didn't jump for joy!!!

I think it's awesome and my son would have loved this cake!

She is lucky to have had such a great cake.... and such a great friend!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:26am
post #4 of 25

What a cute cake and what a crummy friend. It would be the last cake I would do for her.

lou54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou54 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:30am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

What a cute cake and what a crummy friend. It would be the last cake I would do for her.

I think you did a great job!!!!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:31am
post #6 of 25

Very cute cake! I was playing around trying to do a checkerboard and it was a MESS! Your looks great!!!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:31am
post #7 of 25

....and she's a friend...?!

I wouldn't even give it a second thought, the cake is very cute!

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:35am
post #8 of 25

Thats unfortunate, but keep your head up, it is an awesome cake. And to just let you know, I just had the same experience last weekend. Look in my pics at the 2 tiered stacked cake with cars I did. I worked on this for 12 hours, 12 hours. When I delivered it, the women did not seemed thrilled as I was. She was like thanks and that was it. Then I called her about 4 days later to make arrangements to pick up my cake board and asked how it taste and she said it was good. With little expression. She said there was none left and one woman who attended the party said I should open a bakery. Her enthusiam was underwhelming-- as Dr. Phil would say! icon_rolleyes.gif

treys_girl04 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:37am
post #9 of 25

i guess because we put so much into our work, we expect a bit more back, and we deserve it too!

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:46am
post #10 of 25

WOW..first of all your cake is amazing! You should be really proud! And I know exactly what you mean about the reaction being more important than the money. And I don't know why she wasn't more vocal about how much she loved the cake..because she had to have loved it! And I'm sure everyone else at the party was ranting and raving over it! And for you only charging $20 for it! Come on!! Maybe she was just having a bad day or something, because I'm sure she loved it. It is awesome! Keep up the great workicon_smile.gif

Kristian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristian Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:48am
post #11 of 25

Man, you did all that work... tinting the icing RED, of all colors, doing (fabulous) checkerboard, making all that cake! That was some nerve asking you to do it when they knew they couldn't pay for it then treating it lightly! You know you did a great job, so just pass it off as practice....'ok, on to the next cake..'. That sort of deal.

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:49am
post #12 of 25

I know exactly what you mean about the compliments. I absolutely want people to be honest with me, but if I made a cake for free for a friend and put a lot of effort into it, which you obviously did, I would expect an enthusiastic thank you. And with the cute cake you made, I would expect a shower of compliments. I'm learning more and more that dealing with friends can be complicated. Now that I'm getting serious about this hobby, I'm trying to figure out the whole making-cakes-for-friends situation.

Anyway, sorry your friend was ungrateful. Maybe her money situation is really affecting her to the point that she isn't herself. And really, I love the cake you did. The Happy Meal toys fit perfectly.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:57am
post #13 of 25

wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you. For you to have given her that great cake for 20 dollars because she couldn't afford a cake and for her to be so cold about it, I agree...last cake I would EVER do for her!

But you have a GREAT cake for your portfolio and you made some little boy happy!!! You did a great job.

I just had the same happen to me, this lady came refered to me because the Chef couldn't do her cake! THE GOLDEN ANCHOR in my photos. She said she had gone to several bakeries to get it done and no one would touch it.

I was pleased with my cake, (saw something cuter online, but mine wasn't too shabby!!) I had told the daughter that IF I could I would put some sea creatures around the cake,but after I made the cake I didn't think they would look good, so I left them out....adding them was MY option anyway!

She never called me to say ANYTHING about the cake.....sometimes I too wonder if I should just pack it in...!

But, I love the cake you made!! and the cars do look like they are edible..tee hee!! I was going to call you ACE OF CAKE II lol

treys_girl04 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:04am
post #14 of 25

i just gotta say this about her cause its always bothered me. she is my best friend of 20 yrs, i love her to death..BUT..she asked me to do her wedding cake. it was only the second cake i had ever done, so i jumped at the chance. she didnt offer to pay for even the materials, which i spent about $70 on, plus i had to buy a bridesmaid dress, did most of her flowers, and did all of the set up and decorating and cleaned up on the day of...when i was 7 months pregnant! i guess she thinks i will just do them for free since we are friends and i need the practice. but now im starting to gain enough confidence that i think my work is at least worth what i spent on the materials, ya know? this was her wedding cake:

there..feel better getting that out of my system. now im off to the kitchen to do an anniversary cake for her dad..who IS paying and a cake for some nice people who helped me tremendously this morning when my car broke down 60 miles away from home *long story, and its been a long crappy day* thanks for the compliments ladies! i aspire to do great work like all of you !

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:08am
post #15 of 25

Wow, with friends that like, who need enemies?

You're a bigger person than I am. When she said "We can pay" I'd have put some canned icing on a box mix, stuck few candles on it and called it good.

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:24am
post #16 of 25

Awesome job on the cake. We seem to be so consumed in our "cake world" and expect postive feedback but some people are emotionless. They don't think about icing and cakes 24-7 like we do. Keep your chin up! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #17 of 25

Cute cake. icon_smile.gif The next time she asks for a cake I'd mention I was booked solid, sorry. What a twit!

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #18 of 25

I agree with MeloMiMi. People just do not get as excited about cakes as we do. They think "it was good" is a compliment and don't think about saying more.
LouAnn

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:41am
post #19 of 25

Great cake!!! Some people don't appreciate anything! I know exactly how you feel. I have been used for my cakes many times. It seems some friends forget who you are until they need a cake. When some of them call, I think well, if they've called, someone is either getting married, having a baby shower, sick, or dead! That seem to be the only time they call.
So if it helps to know your are not alone, I'm there for ya!
You really should have been thanked ENOURMOUSLY for that great cake!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:44am
post #20 of 25

Okay... in all fairness your friend did say she couldn't pay right now. Could it be that she is embarrassed? You did such a wonderful cake (probably more than she expected) and to tell you how wonderful it is without being able to compensate you for it must be tough. Maybe you could wave the fee and get her honest feedback. But let her know that you need money upfront for next time.

BTW..both of those cakes look great!

treys_girl04 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:46am
post #21 of 25

she shouldnt be embarrased..im as broke as she is..lol! im going to assume she was just tired from the party and such. all is forgiven because she is my girl....but no more freebies!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #22 of 25

I'm glad you're not letting it come between you! But I know what you mean. The feedback means more to me than the $$$'s too.

sarahlr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahlr Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:49am
post #23 of 25

Very cute cake!

I know what you mean about liking the compliments. People dont realize how much time and effort and stress goes into those cakes. I stopped making fancy things for my DH's family cause they dont get as excited as my family does. So they get plain stuff. I want to make the roasted turkey cake for thanksgiving but we goes to DHs family for that holiday. So I might make it and send it to my family's diner with my mom.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 6:57am
post #24 of 25

Yes Your cake was really so cute! I get so disgusted with people when they can't at least do a better job of acknowledging what a good job you did. Even the wedding cake was great.

Hope she does a better job of thanking you in the future but you know I would not hesitate to say " hey...I know you were probably tired but I put a lot of effort into that birthday cake and you barely said anything. What is the deal? Did you not like it , was it ugly? I need the truth in order to be able to change things if they are wrong. " Don't let people drag you down. Ask them point blank and don't mince words.

Put these photo's in your CC photo area...they are great!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 7:13pm
post #25 of 25

Your cakes rock!!! Don't worry about it. I would bet that she LOVES your work or she would keep asking for you to make cakes for her. Even if it's free, nobody wants a sucky cake. Some people, especially those who aren't into doing crafts, have NO IDEA of the work, heart, thought, and stress that goes into each item that is made.

Keep up the work and I would just find her good side and ignore the other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%