I'm Dying To Make Macarons, Anybody Has A Good Recipe?

Baking By lotus Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm by lutie

lotus Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 21

I'm dying to make one of those colorfull macarons just like the ones at Laduree France.
please look at them at http://www.laduree.fr/public_fr/produits/macarons_accueil.htm

Anybody has a good recipe for macarons?????
Would be so much appreciated
Thnx

20 replies
Oniro Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 21

Hi Lotus! They're one of my absolute favourites and impossible to find where I live - there's a recipe at Martha Stewart's website that I've been dying to try - it's at http://www.marthastewart.com and type in "Parisian Macaroons" in the search window. I was going to paste the entire URL but it was a mile long...Good luck and let us know if they work out!

lotus Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 21

Thanx Oniro, but I'm little bit concerned about Martha Stewarts recipes since I've tried so many and succeded so little thumbsdown.gif
I hate to ruin my ingredients...
It's not that I'm clumsy, I'm really talented when it comes to baking icon_cool.gif , but I guess most of the recipes are not tried or improved before they forwarded at the site and also at the magazine. I've heard same complaint from so many people...Anyways, what the heck I will give it a try and let you know icon_rolleyes.gif

I would like to have some proved macaron recipes if anybody has please...
Thnx

miriel Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 21

I use Gale Gand's recipe from one of her books and been very successful with it and getting the proper "feet" on the macarons.

Egullet has lengthy discussions on this with lots of different recipes to try.

lotus Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 21

Thanx Miriel,

I will try Gale Gand's recipe,

Could you please tell me where to find macaron in Gullet, I couldn't find it at quick search part...

rosita6882 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 21

I have also seen these and have wanted to try them. Let us know how they turn out.

miriel Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus

Thanx Miriel,

I will try Gale Gand's recipe,

Could you please tell me where to find macaron in Gullet, I couldn't find it at quick search part...

This is the discussion in Egullet with 16 pages: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=24767

lotus Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 21

Thanx again Miriel
Best...

weirkd Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 21

Also Ida Gardener, The Barefoot Contessa, has a good recipe. You can get it on the Food Network site. And I usually drizzle with melted chocolate and put a cherry on top.

lotus Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:01am
post #10 of 21

Thank you weirkd,
It's been a long time that I'm willing to make macarons,
It seems like its going to be a very good experiment because I've decided to try all these recipes that you all have recommended to me.
I've find more recipes at egullet as well thnx to Miriel,
I will take pictures and let you all know about the result...
best

weirkd Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 21

Oh your welcome! Glad to help! Hope they come out good for you and cant wait to see the pics! icon_smile.gif

lotus Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 21

hello weirkd,
I've tried David Lebovitz's recipe for macarons, allthough his recipe is for chocolate macarons I've made it plain (in kisses shape) and also in pink color and no filling yet...icon_sad.gif next step..
It's almost succesfull, taste is very good, I'm also sending you the pictures, I didn't make the filling
you can find it at this address http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2005/10/
if you found other good recipes please let me know
best
Lotus
LL

weirkd Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 21

They look good! Are they a coconut macaroon or more like a meringue?

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 21

OMG I was just searching here for a recipe and didn't find anything, but here is this post! I realize now that it is spelled macaron or macaroon and that might have been my problem (regional/country differences?).

I'm afraid to try them because it seems like such a science. I've succeeded at scratch baking (so far, fingers crossed!) and that is a science to some degree, but macaroons scare me! Thank you for posting the link to the recipe. icon_smile.gif

weirkd Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 21

Ok, yep its a meringue cookie not a coconut macaroon that I was thinking of!
A basic meringue cookie is egg whites and sugar beaten until you get a stiff peak on the beater. You can color them whatever color and add strawberry extract or vanilla whichever you want. Looks like they added a filling to it also after they were baked But you bake them at a low temperature for a very long time until they dry out. They are so yummy! Melt in your mouth!
If you go to the Food Network site you can find a strawberry meringue from Sandra Lee that is really good!

weirkd Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 21

I was just on Martha Stewarts site and this popped up on the July 4th menu. Their called Parisan Macaroons!
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=946a40ee0c90f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=also_try

claire_d Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:56am
post #17 of 21

I just wanted to say that I attended a class for macaroons in France last June.They taught us the recipe for a Laduree replica & how to flavor them. I brought back with me the almond flour & the parchment paper (edible). As long as those lasted my macaroons came out perfect. When I used local almond flour they refused to rise. I also want to mention that even the parchment made a difference, when the parchment was over but I still had some flour the macaroons did not rise as they should have.
A lot of the stuff I learn t in France depended on the quality of the ingredients. Alas in my country they are difficult to obtain and expensive to import.

lutie Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 21

I found this on a cupcake blog which had this tag and now I cannot find the address... I did copy the recipe, thankfully, so here it is:

"Macaron Recipe
Basic macaron recipe:
60g almond powder
110g confectionerâs sugar
50g egg white
3g dry egg white
15g granule sugar

1. Sift together confectionerâs sugar and almond powder
2. Place egg white in a large bowl and break up the thick parts with whisk
3. Add dry egg white and beat with whisk (dry egg white absorbs moisture from egg white and makes meringue firm)
4. Add the granule sugar in two portions and beat into soft peaked meringue
5. Add half of the sifted sugar and almond powder into bowl, fold with spatula gently. If adding food dye, add with the first addition of dry ingredients.
6. Add the other half and fold (this is called macoronage). Stop mixing when batter becomes shiny. Do not over-mix.
7. Immediately fill pastry bag fitted with 11mm round tip and pipe onto baking sheet lined with silpat into rounds.
8. Leave macarons out to dry for about 30minutes, until it doesnât stick to your finger when touched. Preheat oven to 350C.
9. When surface of macarons are sufficiently dry, place inside the oven to bake. After about five minutes, the âruffled skirtâ should develop around the bottom edge of each macaron. Rotate the baking sheet 180 degrees, and bake for another five to 7 minutes.
10. Check to see if macarons are done by grabbing the top of one macaron and try to shake it. Itâs done if the top barely slides against the âruffled skirtâ. If itâs not done, extend baking time by two minutes intervals and checking after each extension.
11. Move silpat to a cooling rack. After macarons have cooled to touch, remove them from silpat and place upside down on rack. Place inside fridge to cool.
12. Sandwich with desired filling when macarons are cooled, and store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
Macarons taste the best the next day, after theyâve had a chance to dry out further.

Notes:
1. The first step to successful macarons is the consistency of the meringue. If using stand-mixer, watch carefully and not let the meringue get too stiff, or it will become hard to incorporate the dry ingredients, which will lead to over-mixing.
2. It takes practice to know when to stop âmacoronageâ. If batter is over-mixed, macarons will have a very smooth and shiny surface but will not rise in the oven. If not mixed enough, surface will crack while baking. Within the acceptable range, you can adjust the degree of macaronage to achieve the right balance between smooth surface and airy texture.
3. If you have a good convection oven with circulating hot air, you may be able to reduce oven temperature to 150C/300F, as long as macarons are baked in about 12 minutes. If macarons donât rise within the first five minutes, increase oven temperature.
4. If you have to take the macarons out of the oven before they are completely baked because they have started to brown, you may dry them out by leaving them in the fridge uncovered, bottom side up.
5. If on the other hand, youâve over-baked them and the bottom is too dry, leave in the freezer so they soak up moisture (make sure thereâs no smell in your freezer).

Final word of caution:
This recipe is developed to suit my big old GE gas oven, with the room humidity between 55-65% and room temperature around 22C. It will almost certainly need adjustment to suit your oven and climate. If it doesnât work the first time, donât give up! Remember, fifth time was the charm for me. "

mw902 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #19 of 21

Here is a yummy, yummy recipie I found here, it is called Perfect macaroons they are VERY simple and are sooooo good!!
5 1/2 c flaked coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1tsp almond extract
1 tbsp flour

mix all together cover and chil at least 30 mins, grease cookie sheet, make balls about the size of an average size meatball, flatten slightly, place in 325* oven, they are done when the edges have browned slightly, let cool on sheet for 2 mins, no longer, I always dip the bottoms of mine in white chocolate and drizzle top with white and milk chocolate

they are really good, I cant make them too often or I will eat them all!! good luck!

lutie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #20 of 21

Dear mw902:

Yes, I have this recipe for macaroons, but this cookie is called "Macarons".
It is a small meringue-type cookie that is put together with buttercream-type filling... just now coming into "cookie fashion" around the world.

I, too, thought that it was macaroons, made with coconut, when someone told me about them. Go to flickr.com and type in "Macarons" and see all the colors it comes in... they are gorgeous!

You will have fun looking at all the beautiful ones.

lutie

lutie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 21

Dear mw902... you got me thinking... I am now in the mood for 'Macaroons" with two "o's"... thanks for jolt! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%