2" Or 3" Deep Pans For Weddings? Which And Why?

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 4:39pm by SweetResults

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 8

I have all 2" pans and always bake 2- 2" layers and sometimes torte them to get 4 layers per tier for big cakes. My wedding tiers are always at least 4-1/2" deep+, which I like.

I'm curious what you guys use...do any of you like 3" instead?

Do you just bake one layer and torte it once or twice if using 3" pans? And, do you still get the height? I'm thinking it would save time (?) to use 3" pans...just bake one instead of two separate layers.

I need all new squares, which is why I'm asking--I'm thinking of getting them in 3" if I can find them.

7 replies
flameon58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flameon58 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 8

I only have 3 pans so far and they are all 2 inch Magic Line pans. I would also like to know when to use a 2 inch vs a 3 inch before I buy any more pans. I guess I want to buy the basics first, then go from there.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

One of my Wilton instructors told us that a cake baked in a 3" pan ought to be torted twice -- and in the end it would be 4" tall, which is the "correct" height.

My other Wilton instructor -- one who does lots and lots of wedding cakes -- said that she always bakes hers in 2 2" pans. I've tried baking 3" deep and I've had pretty bad luck as far as them falling, not cooking through, etc. So I'm sticking with 2" deep pans for myself.

AngelFood111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood111 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 8

I always use Wilton 3in pans, not sure if it's faster, because it takes about 50 min for a 10 inch, but at least it's only one pan, and the tier is done. Also less cooling space is needed, since it's just one cake. I torte after it's been refrig'd or frozen.
I do love the Wilton pans.

flameon58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flameon58 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 8

So what I'm understanding so far is that if I use 2 inch pans, I need to use 2 pans and torte once. If I use 3 inch pans, I use 1 pan and torte twice. Is this correct?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 8

I think for balance when making a wedding cake, you can use 2 X 2" pans for the lower layers and the small, top layer looks best with a 3" pan (double torted ). I know it looks a bit off if the top layers looks really tall.... Not user if that is the norm but I just ordered a 6" round ML cake for this purpose.... I supposed I could have just used 3 of the 4 layers once I torted the 2" and used the 3rd for cake balls... icon_confused.gif drat! More $ wasted.

I was also looking at the ML 3" deep square set but it is ALOT more than the 2" set so I didn't bother. I didn't like the Wilton square set because the sides weren't straight enough and I need all the help I can get with smoothing... icon_redface.gif

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 8

I just bought square ML 2 inch pans on ebay - I had to keep checking - some folks were selling used sets, but the prices were getting too high. I finally just bought an 8 and 10 inch square, from different sellers about a week apart. I wound up paying around 30 for both with shipping. I do have a 3 inch 6" square ML, but I don't trust myself to be able to torte 3 layers icon_confused.gif, so I think I'm sticking with 2 inches for the time being.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8

I use 3" and torte once - for weddings I love a nice high cake, so often times I bake 2 3" cakes and torte each once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%