Thinning Fondant For Piping?

Decorating By Lenore Updated 7 Feb 2015 , 4:23am by leah_s

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #1 of 28

I thinned some fondant for piping on my last cake...loved the look but found it difficult to work with. It was gooey. So what is the right consistency and how do you know when you are there? I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

27 replies
jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:46am
post #2 of 28

I don't believe that you can thin fondant for piping... If you can, I'd also be interested to know how.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:10am
post #3 of 28

I have never heard of thinning fondant either. I would be interested to see if anyone has had success with this.

Lenore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 28

Wilton gives directions on thinning fondant for some of their cake designs. This is where I got the idea. There directions are not very detailed so I was looking for some help from you pros out there. I piped fondant on the cake included in my photos 'fondant romance'....the border and scroll work.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 28

Did you start with poured fondant or rolled fondant?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 28

Hmm, i've never heard of thinning fondant for piping before. Doesn't it get all slimy?

Lenore Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:17am
post #7 of 28

Leahs, The directions called for thinning of rolled fondant with water until it reaches a consistency for piping, let set for several hours, recheck consistency and then use for piping. I was hoping someone out there has used this method and could let me know what is the 'piping consistency' of thinned fondant? I really am not sure if I was able to achieve the optimal consistency. As I said I really like the look and the fact that you can cut through the design without it falling off the cake like royal or dried up bc.

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #8 of 28

Have never heard of thinning rolled fondant until its of piping consistency. Totally new one on me!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:45am
post #9 of 28

I haven't heard of thinning fondant but I'd be interested to know how it's done.

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:08am
post #10 of 28

I've only come across thinning fondant for use as a glue- from my Wilton books. I'de also like to know if it is possible to pipe with.

Would putting crisco inside the decorating bag help with the slimyness?

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:14am
post #11 of 28

You guys are sure you're not supposed to be using poured fondant?????

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:22am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

Wilton gives directions on thinning fondant for some of their cake designs. This is where I got the idea. There directions are not very detailed so I was looking for some help from you pros out there. I piped fondant on the cake included in my photos 'fondant romance'....the border and scroll work.

Where did you find these directions? On the website or in a book? Maybe we could help you some more if we could find the directions too.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 28

I don't know about thinning fondant for piping either, but am curious as to why one would want to do this?

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 28

Just recently i came accross a tutorial that calls for poured fondant. It is supposed to start with rolled fondant. you are supposed to microwave it to make it thin and runny. you can then use it to cover cupcakes and such. Anyway, apparently this does not work with every fondant. i tried it with some i had home that i made (MMF) and it was also very gooey. That didn't work well.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You guys are sure you're not supposed to be using poured fondant?????

Leah, (Love the name, it's my daughter's too icon_smile.gif ) What do you use for poured fondant? I tried one recipe, followed directions exactly, 238º , cooled to correct temp, beat.. etc. and it was very hard to work with. The instant it hit the cake it set up and I don't mean in a good way!! Imagine clumps!

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 28

I have actually used the one that Wilton provides (yeah I preach against Wilton all the time . . .) but generally have to add a wee bit more powdered sugar because I like it thicker. If for petit fours, put a smear of bc on the top, freeze, then skewer from the bottom and dip to cover. Now here's the cool part. Put a cooling rack (grid) up on glasses or similar to elevate it. then drop the skewer through the rack and pull it out and the petit four is cooling on the rack and you haven't touched it.

Lenore Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #17 of 28

Ladies, Instructions for this are on pg 115 of the book Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio. Thanks.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:09am
post #18 of 28

Nicholas Lodge also shows how this is done in one of his videos. I believe he thins it with piping gel and goes on to state this is preferred over royal icing as it doesn't get as hard as royal which make it easier to cut and also the piped border color will be identical to the cake since the same colored fondant is used.

beachcakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 28

This is a neat idea - I think I'll have to try it!

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #20 of 28

have done this a number of times - use water to thin down rolled fondant until piping consistency - didn't let it sit - - takes a lot of working the water in - have to start with a little at a time - piping consistency is as stiff as possible without breaking your hand! - I only use scratch-made fondant - don't know if this makes a difference or not....

beachcakes Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 28

I tried this over the weekend. I needed piped accents on a fondant bandana. Either I didn't work it enough or add enough water, but it was very very stiff and hard to pipe. It kept breaking. So I gave up and used BC. I'll have to try it again some day when I'm just playing around!

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:44pm
post #22 of 28

It would probably break if used with water that why Nick uses piping gel. Also, he mentioned using this for borders only. You would probably be better off using royal icing for the design.

beachcakes Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 28

Thanks sugarlove - i'll try it w/ piping gel next time!

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 28

Very cool trick, Leah; I've been wondering what one does to avoid fingerprints and the frustration that goes along with them.

Do you use a Wilton recipe for the poured fondant or is it a product that you buy and mix?

I'd love to try making petit fours.

Marianne

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:13am
post #25 of 28

I used it between layers on a tiered cake. I did a tiny beading. I had seen the Wilton article and just watered my fondant that I used for the cake. It was a little slippery but it worked fine. I never thought of using piping gel with it and I'll try that next time.

ForeverAfterCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForeverAfterCakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:09am
post #26 of 28

I did it!  I thinned fondant for piping!  I kneaded Crisco in till it was pretty much the consistancy of chewing gum.  Then I put it in the piping bag with a number three tip.  It still was a bit hard to pipe so I put it in the micro wave for a few seconds.  The metal tip was no problem.  It was still a little sluggish, but the bag was hot, so i dipped the tip in boiling water for a few seconds, then dried it off.  I only wanted to pipe a few words.  I piped them onto parchment paper and let them harden.  When they were hard, I just lifted them off and put them on the cake right where I wanted them!

CakesToBeDone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesToBeDone Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 9:59pm
post #27 of 28

Use Crisco or Trex depending where you live.  It can be used for piping or lettering.  Use a metal pastry tube and your selected tip, highly recommend a simple piping tip.

leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 4:23am
post #28 of 28

AI use the Wilton recipe for poured fondant., found in most of their books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%