Ribbon On Cake?

Decorating By Lenore Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm by jenstastycakes

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #1 of 12

I never put ribbon on cake and was wondering how you all get it to stay in place, not absorb oil and if you use a specific kind? I really like when the ribbon is in the middle of the cake tiers icon_biggrin.gif . I was hoping to try it sometime soon and would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.

11 replies
Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:09am
post #2 of 12

Most people use just a dot of buttercream icing and overlap the ribbon in the back.

1. Some people just lightly coat the back of the ribbon with Crisco so it will go ahead and absorb the oil to be a uniform color all the way around. It will just darken the color a bit.

2. Others iron wax paper to the back side of the ribbon, but I've heard that since the front side is exposed... it still absorbs the oil eventually.

3. Then others argue that ribbon isn't food safe and you shouldn't use it. Make fondant ribbon instead (so it's all edible).

4. My Wilton Instructor had suggested that we use weather-resistant ribbon so it won't absorb the oil. Found at Michael's (like the ribbon you'd use on an outdoor wreath).

I've used both ribbon and fondant... both turned out fine. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 12

I'm a firm believer in #3.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #4 of 12

I had a bride who wanted the ribbon (not fondant) and I tried everything to get it to not absorb the oil...so I just let it, I didn't have to coat the ribbon in Crisco within a few hours it was coated and just a little bit darker. I just used buttercream to hold it up and overlapped the ribbon just a tad in the back. Here it is, HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=154043

Lenore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 12

ribbitfroggie, I love that cake! Thank you all for your help. By the way I tried the fondant ribbon thing and really struggled with it. Could not get it on straight, fondant stretching while being put in place so the ribbon varied in width along the cake...I was so mad!! Thanks again.

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 12

Lenore, sorry the fondant ribbon didn't turn out great. I too struggle with that. Maybe someone has a good solution for us both.

I usually just ask my daughter to hold the other half of the fondant while I'm working on placing the other end on the cake (so I don't end up stretching it out of shape). Good luck next time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 12

You can let the fondant dry a bit before putting it on, but the secret is to support it and never pull it. You just gently lay it on the cake. I do at least one of these almost every weekend. Hubby helps support the ribbon in midair when we're adding these at the venue.

Lenore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be brave and try the fondant ribbon again sometime when I forget how painful the first try was!! icon_smile.gif

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 12

I did a cake yesterday and did a buttercream ribbon. Here's a picture (I replaced the ugly plaque on the cake!):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=838133

I used my icing tip to pipe on the brown closest to the cake board, then I used a basketweave tip to pipe on the white "ribbon." Then I used the icing tip again to pipe on the brown stripe closest to the top of the cake. Then I used a foam roller (the Melvira method) to smooth it all together. Just another option.

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 12

For fondant ribbons you can also lightly roll it up and unroll it as you are placing it on the cake. This works fairly well.

Lenore Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #11 of 12

As always, such a clever bunch of gals here at CC, Thanks so much.

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 12

I have a bride who wants the ribbon like effect on the bottom of her cake but she wants it done in butter cream. What tip would I use to do this effect on the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%