Gold Luster Dust?

Decorating By jgclucas Updated 5 Jul 2005 , 4:26pm by jgclucas

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 11

I am planning on making a Mardi Gras theme cake for a competition and want to make the beads and dubloons a shiny gold. On the sugarcraft site it suggests highlighter dust in the old gold color. What I am wondering is how much to order? How far will one container go?

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks.

10 replies
bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 11

it is a tiny container but it does go quite a ways. I don't know how much you need to paint with it though.

jgclucas Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 11

Probably a dozen or so dubloons and a couple of strands of beads. What do you think?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11

One container will definitely be enough for what you plan to do. I used about half of one when I made the trophy cake in my photos, and it took two applications to cover it. The color on the trophy looks a little coppery, it is old gold, but it is over yellow MMF, I should have left the fondant white!

Janice

Cakeshots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeshots Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 3:41am
post #5 of 11

I agree - one container should be plenty. I've used gold luster dust with a lot of success, mixed with both liquores and lemon juice, and think liquores work better. You get a nice, shiny color. I've found painted color sticks better to gumpaste than fondant, BTW. Good luck in the competition! thumbs_up.gif

jgclucas Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks! I am getting excited. I have the design all sketched out.

I just have to fly to Idaho and do my niece's wedding cake first. icon_wink.gif

NY State Fair Cake Competition, here I come!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 11

ok JUST asking... how much liquid/alcohol do you all use when using luster dust? And is that the only way to use them???? can you just dab it on??? just asking questions for those who may not know....I on the other hand want to know other techniques! icon_lol.gif

Cakeshots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeshots Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 3:17am
post #8 of 11

Personally, I just use a few drops of something like gran marinie (sorry - crummy spelling!) and a paintbrush. The less liquid, the bolder the color. I actually got one of those plastic painting trays to mix my powdered colors. Hope this was helpful and the luster works out for you.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 11

You can apply luster dust dry or wet.
Dry Method:
While the fondant or buttercream is still "wet" (no crust yet) take the brush and flick it onto the fondant or buttercream; or take the brush and tap it on your finger where you want the dust to go.
Wet Method:
Mix it with vodka and paint it onto the fondant. Using vodka or anything with an alcohol base evaporates faster, producing a more truer color.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 11

ah I see!!!! Makes sense!

jgclucas Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%