Rice Paper?

Decorating By gineseam22484 Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 8:23pm by muz

gineseam22484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gineseam22484 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me where I could get rice paper? Do I have to do anything to prep it before I use it? I was reading an article, I can't remember where, which said that you could use it to transfer an image onto the cake. Does anyone reccommend this?

thanks

5 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 6

You can also get it at a cake/candy supply store. The store close to me keeps it in back because it's pretty fragile, so you may have to ask at the counter for it.

I'm actually learning about it tonight at my cake class - may be able to offer more information after. I have never used it before though.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, I can tell you what I learned last night now! icon_smile.gif

This is what we did:
1. Pick out an image that you can trace, like a coloring book page or sketch.
2. Put it under a piece of wafer paper. Wafer paper goes smooth side UP.
3. Trace outlines with non-toxic marker, we used Sharpies.
4. Mix a very small amount of piping gell with food color to get the desired color.
5. Paint in with a small paint brush.
6. Let dry for 24 to 48 hours before placing on cake (not totally necessary, but it will dry flat this way). You can trim the wafer paper to the edge of your design or pipe something over the edges of it on the cake

I was thinking that it also might work to use rice paper as a template for a buttercream design, to pipe stars instead of paint in the areas with piping gel?

Wondering if there are any other uses for this stuff too?

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 6

Sugarcraft sells them already printed with Butterfly designs on them..that way you won'have to draw and paint..

muz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muz Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

I used rice paper for the logos on my converse cake, and I think it worked really well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%