I Really Need Advice On The Sleeve Filling, Please

Decorating By butternut Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm by steffla

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 13

I'm about to fill an 11x15 cake with the strawberry sleeve filling. Can anyone please tell me how many cups they use for this size cake? I read somewhere that approx 2 cups is suggested for an 11x15 but this seems like quite a bit. Please tell me how much you use. Thanks so much!!

12 replies
USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 13

i would almost say that 2 cups isn't enough....IMHO....i made a 12x18 last weekend with strawberry filling from the sleeve and i used the whole thing....but maybe i just like there to be a lot of filling icon_rolleyes.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much. Yea, when I measured out the 2 cups, it seemed like too much but I just got through putting in on and it was just about right, I think. Matter of fact, I think I did use a little bit more. I was just nervous because it's for my daughter in law's baby shower and i was just so afraid of using too much and having it ooze. Anyway, I think I've got just about the right amount in there and it was at least 2 cups. Thanks again!!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 13

What is sleeve filling? TIA

June

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneHawk

What is sleeve filling? TIA

June

June, they are ready-made fillings that you can buy like these:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=532&SubCatId=798

-Rezzy

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks! I love this site!

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 13

I love the sleeve fillings. They are SOOO handy and i think they taste great, just cut the tip off, squeeze, and spread it out....its better to get them at a local cake specialty store, only b/c if you buy them online, shipping is usually more then it would be for anything else, b/c they sleeve come in like 1-2 pound portions...the link that rezzycakes posted has some really good flavor options...otherwise you can just google pastry cream fillings or sleeve fillings and it should give you a bunch more sites to choose from...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 13

I'm with Sgt's Lady .... I never measure it out. Just squeeze enough out until it looks right. I just made a 14" round with red raspberry filling and used less than a full bag. I don't want to use so much that it put the cake in danger of sliding.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 13

I agree - it looks like alot in the sleeve, until you put it on the cake. I also find that a sleeve is perfect for a 12x18.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 13

Does anyone know how many cups are in a sleeve of filling? I just made a homemade strawberry filling (yum) and want to compare prices based on how much I made and how much I could buy for the same price?

Thanks in advance!

....edited to add....I just found out the sleeves are 3 cups and the batch I made is 2 3/4 cups....would have been three but I strained all the. 'pulp' from the mashed strawberries to keep the seeds out. Love it, it's Delish!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 13

Keep in mind that sleeve filling are usually shelf stable and many times homemade fruit or custard fillings are not.

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for posting this thread. I have always wondered about the sleeve filling, but was afraid it wouldn't taste good. Now I think I will try it. It sure would save some time! icon_smile.gif

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks cheatize, I am aware of the refrigeration issue but this is not a problem I encounter. I refrigerate all my cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%