Help! My Cake Is Leaning And I Can't Redo It!

Decorating By maddog Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 7:56am by Trevie

maddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddog Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:57am
post #1 of 5

I've got a 4 layer "building block" cake in the fridge that is totally leaning to one side. I used 4 dowels. I've tried to add frosting to the fix the problem. It is just not a true block, it's obviosly leaning. Is there anything I can do now? The cake is due Fri evening, but I can't redo cause I've got two other cake due. Please help!

4 replies
Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:08am
post #2 of 5

Can you insert a dowel from underneath the cakeboard or base..does that make sense? You know go from the bottom up holding the cake straight and insert dowel from the bottom so you don't ruin the design and decorations? Do you have a pic of the cake, that might help with some other rigging ideas?

maddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddog Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:18am
post #3 of 5

Here's a pic. See how the juice is striagt and the cake is leaning? I stuck some sharpened dowels down in it a minute ago but that's not helping.
LL
LL

Trevie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:39am
post #4 of 5

Is it buttercream or fondant? Do you have any extra cake left? You could always (if buttercream) remove the border, take a big spatula (how big is this cake) and jack up the one side by putting a wedge of cake underneath, re-frost it and add the border back on. Was it straight when you started out and then started leaning or it just wasn't a true square? Or if no cake, rice crispy treat cut to fit underneath or fondant or just a bunch of very stiff buttercream, you know like the wilton concrete (their all shortening recipe). You could spackle the walls with that stufficon_smile.gif If it's fondant, you can take the border off, jack up the cake with more fondant or more cake, add a little bit more fondant to cover up the "new" cake and then just use a bigger border (balls or something) to cover up the oops..HTH! I'll keep thinking of more ideas..

Trevie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:56am
post #5 of 5

Or slice off the top to make level and re frost...Sorry, I'm not an expert by any means, just trying to help if I can...I am always getting myself into these type of situations and usually requires McGyver type maneuvers to get out of iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%