Mmf Kneading Question

Decorating By debsuewoo Updated 12 Jul 2005 , 7:19pm by niki_10

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, I was convinced that I should try making a cake using MMF, but here is my question: Do I have to knead by hand, or can I use my dough hook on the Kitchenaid? Also, do I have to use a plastic roller to roll it out, or can I use a wooden roller?

Thanks!

Debbi

8 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 9

I would not attempt it in your KA.....I tried and it was a disaster, much easier my hand, just sticky.....coat your surface lightly with crisco and lightly coat your hands with it and that should help......I lightly coat my wooden roller with crisco and it works very well...I purchased a plastic one but I don't like it!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 6:33am
post #3 of 9

Hi Debbi, I managed to mix my MMF with my KA mixer, but I have to agree that kneading it might be a little too much for the KA, that is better done by hand, and I try to knead small portions at a time.

I also tried using a plastic roller and went back to my wooden one. Janice

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 9

I agree - by hand. I use a marble rolling pin coated with a thiin film of crisco. When I dust w/ conf. sugar, it sticks.

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 9

I also hate the stickiness of this - so I tried the dough hook but with bad results. What DID work was the dough hooks of my HAND mixer! Who would have though...

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9

I just read this post and I've always done mine w/my KA mixer... I make a well with half a bag of powder sugar.. I melt the marshmallows, then pour into the well .. drape a dishcloth over the top of the mixer and bowl and let it mix ... then I add the remaining powder sugar slowly ... it is sticky .. but to me much easier to let the KA do the mixing ... I start off with my regular paddle ... when the first part mixes and before I add the rest of the powder sugar, I change to my dough hook ... hope this helps icon_smile.gif

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 9

I just made some with my KA and did it the same as ntertayneme. I started with the paddle, then when it got too thick, I switched to the hooks. I did run crisco over the hooks, but I got a beautiful batch of mmf out of it! thumbs_up.gif

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 9

I used my KA mixer and it was a bad idea. It was bouncing all over the counter. I mixed it and then just took a hand full and rolled it in the palm of my hand and that worked great. I tryed it for the first time friday, everyone loved it. I usually use wilton fondant and melt candy melts in it. Everyone wants me to use the MMF again. It was a hit. And the cake set over night, when we cut into it the MMF hand almost melted into the BC. It had a great flavor.

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 9

I'd be afraid to do this with my mixer. It's a lot tougher than bread dough. Plus it's not that difficult to knead it out.

You can either use your counter, or a plastic placemat, or what I do is throw it on a new cutting board (you wouldn't want to use one where meat was cut)

If you do decide to use your counter, invest in one of those metal bread scraper things. Ikea has them for $2.00

http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=pipcbkwbaci%7Cgsku366666%7Ck%7Cpcbkwbaci%7Crshop%7Cs%2Fcatcbkwbaci%7Cp2%7Crshop%2Fcatcbkwbaci%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatcbkwi%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatcckwb%7Cp1%7Crshop&root=shop&pkey=cbkwbaci&gids=sku366666&ftest=1&cmreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fww2%252Ewilliams%252Dsonoma%252Ecom%252Fcat%252Findex%252Ecfm%253FCID%253Dbkwbaci%2526root%253Dshop%2526cPage%253D2%2526src%253Dcatcbkwbaci%25257Cp1%25257Crshop%25252Fcatcbkwi%25257Cp1%25257Crshop%25252Fcatcckwb%25257Cp1%25257Crshop%25252Fhme&flash=on

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%