Candy Has White Spots

Sugar Work By emie Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 8:36am by Zmama

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

I've never had my molded candy do this b/4. I thought the choc might be too hot when I poured it in the mold so I've been cooling it down to about 95° b/4 pouring into mold. It is still turning white instead of having a gloss. My molds are clean & dry. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

6 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 7

You used real chocolate and didn't temper it. This is known as bloom and won't affect the taste of the candy but will affect how it looks.

I don't remember the exact instructions because for molding I mainly use melts which are not real chocolate and don't require tempering. Tempering involves melting and then cooling by mixing in some unmelted chocolate before molding I think.

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

I'm using candy melts. I'm cooling the choc & it's still doing it. Can't figure it out. thanks for reply.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

Mine did that too and I don't know why. All I know is that once the candy melts are melted (and I just place them in a bowl and place the bowl in boiling water and stir until melted), I pour them in the molds and then place the whole thing in the refrigerator. I don't remember what I was doing before, but I don't have that problem anymore either. I'm sure it has something to do with temperature.

anoccasionalchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoccasionalchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 7

This can also be from too many temperature changes. Candy melts can bloom too, if you move it from cold to warm and cold to warm again.

http://www.anoccasionalchocolate.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by emie

I'm using candy melts. I'm cooling the choc & it's still doing it. Can't figure it out. thanks for reply.

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:15am
post #6 of 7

Actually, it may be the fact that you're letting it cool a bit before you pour it into the mold. I've had that happen when the chocolate has been sitting out before I can get it in the freezer. Also, another reason is if your mold has any water spots.

I know this post is old, but I thought I should post anyway. icon_smile.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:36am
post #7 of 7

I always stick in the freezer, never fridge, and it's never happened. Fridges are BAD!! Mess up all kinds of things

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%