I Share Because I Care!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm by solascakes

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:49pm
post #121 of 205

Melvira I have already thanked you once for the paint roller idea. But I have to come back and crown you the queen of smooth. I am going to try to attach a pic of the cake I did for a King's Daughter banquet for a local church. It was butter cream, with fondant drape and royal icing crown, people asked me if it was fondant. And one person asked if it was a fake cake. I am no longer afraid of buttercream. Thank YOU!!!
LL

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #122 of 205

I didn't want to put this in it's own post, though I probably should BUT...

I think Melvira deserves to be spotlighted!!! There are so many out there that do, but this one tip has saved so many of us here at CC.

Please know that Melvira and I don't know each other, and she didn't ask me to do this - no one did. I would post it seperate, but figure it would look like I was soliciting for her or something and I don't want to embarass or offend anyone.

Thanks Melvira for helping us all, you rock.

Vote Melvira!! thumbs_up.gif

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #123 of 205

I agree.................[Vote Melvira!!!!!] [/b]

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:32pm
post #124 of 205

I finally have a chance to sit down and post pictures of the cakes I did using Melvira's technique. It is great! I found it to be much like my old method of using the viva paper towels with my fondant smoother, but the really great part was being able to run the roller up from the sides of the cake and over the top in one motion, therefore smoothing even those horrible, hard to get perfect edges! And it was done in practically no time at all! I couldn't find one like Melvira's but I did find one at Home Depot made by RollerFoam. It still has the plastic inside, and you can get it in ultra-fine foam with a dome-shaped end so it doesn't leave any tracks! It is my new best friend! And so is Melvira! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:33pm
post #125 of 205

Well, for some reason my pictures did not get attached, but they are in my photos, the life cake, the stock market cake and the antique doily (for lack of a better name).

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:01pm
post #126 of 205

I tried it today for the first time and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!! I love it.

mimi4gsus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4gsus Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:41pm
post #127 of 205

COOL!!!!!! I love cake decorating and I teach kids in 4-H. I am going to add this tool to their list of "must have" items. Getting a cake smooth is the hardest part for these little kids so I am sure this is going to really help them. All they ever want to do is the character pans because they can do all stars..... but now... they wont have an excuse.... This is gonna be great for them... can you imagine what their parents are going to think when I give them their supply list.... hehehehehehehe

You all are just way to funny... I have CC open all day at the office. My evaluation is coming up soon.... I can see it now.... "secretary spends to much time on CC".... but I have the perfect answer since I work for the local extension office who is in charge of the 4-H program.... I always can use the excuse that its work related. I have a way cool job because I even bake and decorate cakes at my office when things are slow.... I wouldn't know what it was like to have a REAL job!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:51pm
post #128 of 205

thanx for the fantastic tip!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #129 of 205

It's so weird, I stopped getting updates on this thread for some reason, so I was missing some of the responses about people using this technique! I'm glad I checked back just to read some of the posts to my sister. (She always thinks I'm nothing but a pain... wanted to show her that some people think I have redeeming qualities! Just kidding, she loves me!!) Anyway, I am so THRILLED to hear all these positive responses. It touches me to know that I have benefitted some of you, and that some are still going to try it when they are able to.

Hey, Arosstx... your check is in the mail! icon_lol.gif Ok CALM DOWN all you guys... I am SO kidding!! It was just so cute the way she pointed out that we don't know each other (we don't!!) so I had to give her a little grief. Well, wait, I do know she is the one that gave me the awesome tip about Sam's cake boards!! Yay!!!

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:16am
post #130 of 205

Yes- THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!! I Have to go get one of these tomorrow. My hubby will think I am batty when I tell him I need this for my cakes.
One question for you ladies, Does an IMBC crust over? I prefer the flavor of this for my cakes and I have an easier time smoothing it- although not THAT smooth..... does anyone know? Thank you soooo much!
Ivy

chrisdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisdan Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 4:10pm
post #131 of 205

Melvira,

I wanted to join in on saying thanks for the great tip! I also see that you are a Halloween fanatic. My 8 year old daughter is also! Man, I can't believe she would pick Halloween over Christmas but she loves it. But then again, my hubby and I always joke about her becoming a teenager and "turning to the dark side" like Darth Vadar icon_twisted.gif

Do you have any Halloween-related cakes that we can see?

Thanks so much,
Christie (far, far away from Iowa down in ol' N'Awlins icon_lol.gif

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:06pm
post #132 of 205

Thanks so much for the tip. I can't wait to try it!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:10pm
post #133 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterl

I leave you with my small tip (which is probably common knowledge, but what the heck). Use corn husks (normally for the purpose of making tamales) to texture leaves, flowers, wood grain, etc. I've had so much fun using them.

Corn husks to texture buttercream or fondant? Great idea!

Melvira Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:12pm
post #134 of 205

Unfortunately I don't have any good Halloween cake pix right now... but I will in a few weeks! icon_wink.gif I have several that will be made, but until the 21st I am drowning in the two largest weddings I have ever done! Then comes the fun stuff!!

yellobutterfly Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:51pm
post #135 of 205

can't wait to try this! ok, just to clarify - i always use the big icer tip to apply icing to cake, then spend 45 minutes smoothing that darn icing around trying desperately to get it perfect...and giving up early due to time restraints! Sooooo, when I try this how should i go about it? can i still use big icer tip and then just blend that w/big spatula once, let that crust then roller it? thx!

Melvira Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:05pm
post #136 of 205

Absolutely! That's what I do. I use the icer tip nice and thick, then scrape a little off to straighten/even it up, then let it crust and roll!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:02am
post #137 of 205

Ok I tried it.....I will attempt to attach my cake. I am still so new so my cake isnt perfect, but I wanted to say thanks for the tip (I used it over parchment paper) and the roller worked great! I know what I will be using from now on.

Thanks Melvira for sharing
LL

yellobutterfly Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:17am
post #138 of 205

mkerton what a cute cake!!!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:19am
post #139 of 205

thanks yellobutterfly.....I was mad that it wasnt centered on the cake and I was upset that I made an uppercase K on the name....I hope my Mom's friend likes it! I have never done a cake for anyone other than immediate family before!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 5:56am
post #140 of 205

Thank you so much for this tip icon_smile.gif

When I first read about it I went out and got mine (my DH was with me.....he thought I was nuts). Put it in the cupboard with the rest of the cake stuff and just forgot about it. Well, yesterday I had a cake to do and DH asked about the roller thing I bought and then I remembered and tried it out. Gosh it was the best. Never will I spend hours trying to get a smooth finish again.

Once again THANK YOU. thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:10am
post #141 of 205

mkerton, This cake is adorable! You did a great job on it! I love your basket of clothes next to the pole. I'm saving this to reference if I need to do a clothesline cake again. Did you freehand your little clothes or use cutters? I made my own but hoped there'd be little cutters that might look better.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:59pm
post #142 of 205

I am so excited about this tip that I could just cry.

Rachel

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:07pm
post #143 of 205

I used the roller last night on my football cake, in my photos, and will never use anything else. It's the easiest way I have found to smooth a cake. Thanks Melvira!!!

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:21pm
post #144 of 205

So wonderful to hear all these people finding that this works for them. I am very excited and happy!

Deb55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb55 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:15am
post #145 of 205

Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

Michellear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellear Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #146 of 205

I tried this on a cake that I did this weekend & WOW!! icon_surprised.gif I have NEVER been able to get my cakes smooth no matter how hard I tried so this was a blessing! I am still just amazed at how well it worked! I will never "sweat bullets" again over getting my cakes smooth! Thank you SO MUCH Melvira! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 11:37pm
post #147 of 205

Melvira is an absolute CC angel. This is the" Melvira Roller Method"of cake smoothing for sure.

Thanks a heap!

Kathy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:59pm
post #148 of 205

Man I am soooo glad I found this post!!! What awesome tip!!! I can't wait to try this!! Way to go Melvira!! I might have tons of questions though...
icon_smile.gif

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:44pm
post #149 of 205

This sounds like a dream come true. Wish I had this tip this weekend..Iced 9 brides cakes and 2 grooms cakes. I have gotten pretty good at smoothing...however I am always looking for more better, faster easier.

Can't wait to go buy myself one. icon_eek.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:47pm
post #150 of 205

Melvira, please share your recipe for BCI with us~ I'm very interested in it icon_smile.gif Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%