I Share Because I Care!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm by solascakes

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 8:55pm
post #91 of 205

Juliebugg . . . I looked at all of your photos and you are so amazing! This cake included! Each one of your cakes is so different but so awesome. I have added a few to my favorites. How long have you been doing cakes?

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 10:42pm
post #92 of 205

Thanks guys for your wonderful comments, you have no idea how much it means to me! Ck, I started decorating in February of this year when I thought I'd get all crafty and make my husband (then fiance) a Valentine's Day cake. Poor fiance had to grin and tell me it was cute LOL, but that kickstarted the most wonderful obsession in the entire world! Now the poor husband has to grin and ask me when the next cake is due so the kitchen will be clean again icon_wink.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #93 of 205

juliebugg, I started in march of this year and dont have near the talent you do....You do great work!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 1:08am
post #94 of 205

I started in March, too, and am still very much a "beginner". Juliebugg, you've got the touch! I can't wait to see where you are a year from now!

By the way, be happy that your hubby eats your cake. Mine doesn't like cake and rarely, if ever, has any when I bake for us or for family. Thankfully, he does eat my muffins and cookies or else we'd have to go rounds.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 1:18am
post #95 of 205

Juliebugg it turned out great!! And don't for one second believe you are not as good as me or anyone else!! You've got talent woman!! I am just so glad that my tips seemed to help you. That cake is magnificent! I hope others find it usefull too!! Keep baking baby, cuz we luuuv your work!! icon_lol.gif

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #96 of 205

Melvira, I have had this topic saved for several days now until I could find a few minutes to sit down and read through it. I am headed out tomorrow to buy some rollers, I have 4 cakes due by Friday and want to try this on each and every one of them. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I can see cutting my icing time down to, well, nothing! I will post pictures after I complete the cakes. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:40am
post #97 of 205

Well Kerri, I have my fingers crossed! I can't wait to see how it works for you! I hope it goes well! I can't wait to see pix!!

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:24am
post #98 of 205

Thank You so much for this tip, I tried it last night and it worked great, I didn't take a picture though cause it was just a little single layer 6 inch cake, nothing special, just wanted to try it out.
I WILL be using the roller on my 1st wedding cake which is this Sunday!!!
I will post pics (if it turns out ok, icon_redface.gif )

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:34am
post #99 of 205

Excellent!! Sounds like it was perfect timing for you to get this tip!! I am so glad!! And I am sure your cake will be awesome!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #100 of 205

Melvira,

You are the bomb!!! When this thread was first posted I went to Lowes and bought the paint roller. Brought it home and laid it on the counter, DH asked what it was for and I told him to smooth cakes. He asked if it worked and I said "I don't know, but I thought I would try it. And if it doesn't I have a couple of little painting projects you can use it on". Well guess what I had a cake to do last night and IT WORKS. How cool is that!!! It took all of 2 minutes to smooth my cake where it would normally take 15 - 20 minutes with viva and I still would not be happy with it. Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! I have done several fondant wedding cakes but have been afraid of tackling a buttercream because it takes me so long to smooth. Now I can say "bring it on" I'm ready. Thank you again. And thanks to everyone who shares.

pat

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:47pm
post #101 of 205

Yaaaayyyyyy!!! Doesn't that mean you get an average of an extra 13-18 minutes to sit on CC??? I think that's only fair. It would've been time spent on a cake, so you SHOULD get to spend it on Cake Central!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:13pm
post #102 of 205

I agree. But according to my boss I stay on here all the time anyway. She doesn't care as long as I get my work done and she gets free or greatly reduced cakes. Hey I know which side my bread is buttered on. Thank you again.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #103 of 205

I went out and bought my roller as soon as I read Melvira's tip on this thread and I haven't had one day off since then to try it out icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

After today, I have FOUR days off and I am going to bake, bake, bake and frost, frost, frost with my new roller icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif Can't wait to try it out. And thanks for the additional tip about using the roller on edible images! Wow. What a great idea. I made my first EI cake a few weeks ago and it had a little crease in it, which totally bummed me out. Now, I have a solution. You guys are awesome!

Suzanne

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #104 of 205

Bought a roller, made a cake. It works!

THANK YOU for this great tip!
Kids didnt even ask why I was using a paint roller - they know I love "tool" tips!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:38pm
post #105 of 205

Juliebugg your cake looks fantastic. Melvira you are a life saver for all of us. I can't wait to try it. I should make a cake just for the heck of it so I can see how smooth it will turn out.

Melvira Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:46pm
post #106 of 205

Agent cakebaker, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to bake a superior cake whose icing is smoother than you've ever seen before. I have assembled your usual team... Chocolate will be your point man, KA will be in charge of weapons, the egg brothers are keeping things together. As usual, should this cake flop, we will disavow any knowledge of it's existence. Good luck. This message will overcook in ten seconds.

Good lord... what was in that casserole I made for dinner? icon_rolleyes.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:42am
post #107 of 205

LOL...I like that. Ok my mission will begin in 5, 4, 3, 2,......1! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:26am
post #108 of 205

I tried the roller yesterday and it works like a charm. IOU1 Melvira!!

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:43am
post #109 of 205

Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:22am
post #110 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I tried the roller yesterday and it works like a charm. IOU1 Melvira!!

I am so pleased to hear all of these reports!! This is fantastic! I feel like I've really helped some people out here, and it makes me feel good. Tha's righ'... I BE COOL... icon_cool.gif Hahaha!

Oh, I almost forgot... I don't remember if anyone has thought of or mentioned this yet, but for those of you who LOVE the texture (or non-texture) that you get from Viva... you can still use it and just roll over it with the roller. I bet someone already said that... oh well. icon_wink.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:32am
post #111 of 205

I had the opportunity to try my roller today Melvira and it is wonderful! Makes the job of smoothing way easy, so thank you sssssssssssooooooo much for your sharing and your caring...I'm happy!

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:44am
post #112 of 205

wow!!i dont know why it has taken me this long to read your post...duh me!!! but OMG...im going tomorrow to get me one...i have 2 sheet cakes that i have to do this weekend and like you i have tried everythin posted on here the best so far has been the Viva, but like you also i always leave little indents..( i think im too heavy handed ) so imma try this out tomorrow...wish me the best...it sounds like it should work like a dream...yet it never crossed my mins to use one of them thingies..kudos to you for thinking of it!!!

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #113 of 205

party.gif *doing the happy dance* party.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #114 of 205

I don't know what took me so long to find this post but I read it early this morning and as soon as my local hardware store opened this morning I was truckin down there to buy a roller. This was awesome and FUN!!! I can't wait to use it on my wedding cakes next weekend.
Thanks Melvira You Rock!!!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #115 of 205

Melvira you are my hero! I went to Walmart and low and behold they had a handy dandy little paint kit there. 6 inch roller, 2 foam pads, a paint pan, and a little edger, all for 5.88. I came home and threw the other stuff in with my paint supplies and baked a cake icon_lol.gif I know this is just a 1/2 sheet cake in the pic, but it morphed into a 1/2 sheet with a bible on it and some stain glass. I actually hated to set the book pan cake on the top of it icon_redface.gif It was so smooth and pretty I just wanted to look at it some more icon_lol.gif Thanks again
LL

Melvira Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #116 of 205

BLESS YOU darlin'!! That looks gorgeous, even before anything gets put on it!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 3:13am
post #117 of 205

And I have a store credit for Home Depot. Guess where I'm going tomorrow!
Your tip is a lifesaver. Sometimes, my icing comes out very smooth, but then this big lump appears, and the frosting has actually risen up because of air underneath. (Even after crumbing). I don't know why, but perhaps this will help get all the air out and I won't have that problem anymore.

(Has this ever happened to anyone else?)

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:20am
post #118 of 205

Wow, this tip works REALLY WELL!!! I thought that it would blend the colors together but once the buttercream crusts, it simply smoothes out any imperfections. I'm doing a FBCT for my husband's welcome home party...it's my first FBCT. Now, all I have to do is wait for the FBCT to freeze~
After that, If I need to, I'll be rolling the image as well!
yey for great tips!!

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:11pm
post #119 of 205

MELVIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I just say I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I went to Lowes this weekend, and found a small paint roller, the actual roller is only like 4 inches long, and its a special dense foam roller, very smooth. I tried it on my cake this weekend, and OMG far better results than Viva, I couldnt believe how amazing it was! My cake sides got so very smooth!!!!

I will never go back to Viva!

Darlene

brirac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brirac Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:24pm
post #120 of 205

Thanks so much for sharing!! I can't wait to try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%