Which Mmf Recipe Is Best

Decorating By gourmetcakes Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 5:58am by xstitcher

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:30am
post #1 of 12

I am wanting to make MMF for my first time. There are a few MMF recipes in the recipe box, one is Marshmallow Fondant and one is Alternative Marshmallow Fondant using Crisco. What seems to be the best one to use. This first time, I am only usint it to make flowers and butterflies to start off. But I also want to dabble in covering a cake soon.

Any advice is welcomed! Or, if you have a tried and true recipe different from these, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

11 replies
AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:58am
post #2 of 12

I have only made the regualr fondant and loved it, i put it on cutouts. Everyone loved them.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:52am
post #3 of 12

i use the small mmf recipe for all my accents, cause you can color it once the marshmellows have melted, which is much easier.

1 cup of marshmellows
1 table spoon of water
1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups of confectioners sugar

melt marshmellows and water in microwave for 30 seconds

take out and mix with a spoon to combine the water with the marshmellows, now you mix in your color.

add sugar until you can no longer stir with a spoon, now i use my hands in the bowl to combine as much as possible, then i take it out and knead, adding enough sugar until it feels like dough.

kylie

gourmetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:42am
post #4 of 12

Kylie....thanks so much. I have a few cakes in the next month that are using MMF, so this batch will last me. But, that is a WONDERFUL tip to know about making a small batch. Does the color get lighter when you add the powdered sugar?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 12

hi gourmetcakes

my colors stay the same even after adding the sugar.

when i made black this way is was still a good black color after adding the sugar.

kylie

gourmetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks Kylie!

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:36am
post #7 of 12

Just adding my 2 cents...I prefer the alternative recipe. More elastic and more forgiving for me.

gourmetcakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #8 of 12

Thanks dinkadoo. I am actually going to try that when I decide to cover a cake. I made the regular MMF last night for accent pieces, ended up adding crisco to it anyway, just to give it more elasticity and less dryness. Thanks!

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:55am
post #9 of 12

gourmetcakes,

thanks for asking this question, i was wondering the same thing. =)

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:09am
post #10 of 12

The alternative is the 'bestestest' for covering cakes! It is so easy to work with.

sweet_as_tisse Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:08am
post #11 of 12

the small recipe i posted is only really for making accents in different colors, its just easier than trying to knead in the colors after making the the big batch.

and if you add some gum tex or gum trag to the small batch it will make the mmf dry a lot harder and quicker, this is good if you want to make shapes and insert wire into them and have fantastic explosions comming out of your cakes.

kylie

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:58am
post #12 of 12

save

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%