Cookie Rookie - Help

Baking By DelightsByE Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 1:46am by DelightsByE

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 13

Hi!

I need an easy, tasty icing recipe that is squeeze bottle friendly AND sets up quickly once it's on a cookie. This is to be used by kids.

HELP!!!!

TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 13

I've used the Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing twice because I'm also new at this and it's really good to work with. Go into recipes and type the above name to get the recipe.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 13

I use Antonia74's royal icing. Goes on very smooth and dries nice!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 13

Ditto on the 2 above, Toba and Antonia's icing for me icon_biggrin.gif

chefali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefali Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 13

Yep- Antonia's royal works great...and tastes pretty good. But does anyone know about how many 4" cookies one recipe will flood? I have to do 200+ for a girlfriend's wedding and I was thinking that I might need to x10 the recipe.....that would be 24 lb. powder sugar!

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:36am
post #6 of 13

I know that her recipe goes a loooonng way!! It seems like I always have icing left over after 2 or 3 batches of cookies!

DelightsByE Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:32am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everybody! My one burning question is - are they squeeze bottle friendly?? I am using little 4oz bottles....

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 8:24am
post #8 of 13

Yes, Toba's glaze is squeeze bottle friendly. I wouldn't use it for the royal unless you have the bottles that you can put tips on. I did 200 cookies for a wedding about a month ago and the bottle for flooding was awesome. It should only take 2-3 recipes at the most. Hope this helps. Good Luck

DelightsByE Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 13

OK but is it so runny that it's going to run all over without a dam? These are for little kids, so.......

I guess I'm looking for something free flowing but thick enough to not be too free-flowing.

Am I making any sense?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:07am
post #10 of 13

If you want it a bit thicker add more powdered sugar to it. Give it a try. You'll love it!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 13

toba's is definately squeeze bottle friendly, but it DOES NOT set up quickly. the cookies need to set for at least 12 hours.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefali

Yep- Antonia's royal works great...and tastes pretty good. But does anyone know about how many 4" cookies one recipe will flood? I have to do 200+ for a girlfriend's wedding and I was thinking that I might need to x10 the recipe.....that would be 24 lb. powder sugar!

I'd use about 4-5 times the recipe only. That will be plenty! One recipe will certainly do 40 or so cookies.

DelightsByE Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:46am
post #13 of 13

Well I did wind up using Toba's recipe (no offense Antonia74!)
I would be curious to see what adding a small amount of meringue powder does to the setup time. But all in all, it was VERY easy to use, tasted really good (added butter flavoring), and the best part was, the kids absolutely loved it.

I was invited to a 75th anniversary event at our local Ethan Allen furniture store, as a local vendor, sort of an exposure opportunity, free advertising. I did a FBCT-logo sheet cake for them (black logo cake soon to be in my photos), and I thought about doing some cake decorating demonstrations while I was there, but then I thought - customers will come if they can bring their kids, but kids hate to furniture shop. So I decided to do a Decorate Your Own Cookie Bar for kids (and for grownups too). It was a blast! I did indeed have more grownups doing cookies than kids, including a lot of the store staff icon_lol.gif, I had a lot of traffic, gave away a lot of brochures and business cards, it was a good day! And someone asked if I would do a Cookie Bar for a birthday party. Well sure - why not???

Anyway, thank you all so much for your help, I really really appreciate it! I LOVE CC!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%