melissablack Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 6:56am
post #1 of

icon_cry.gif

I just ruined this huge cake I am making for an order tomorrow. I just had to scrape all the icing off the top of my completely decorated cake, in two patches, because I messed up on the writing, and re-did it... and it (the writing) looks worse than it did in the beginning!! I am just going to go to bed and hopefully when I wake up in the morning I can fix a few letters at least and maybe it won't look so bad. I just can't believe I did this because I've made this huge cake with no problems so far, and I go and ruin it with this butt-ugly writing icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Melissa

14 replies
jscakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:24am
post #2 of

Oooh...been there, done that! Sorry this has happened to you Melissa, but you are right because in the morning you'll be able to fix it and it'll look wonderful! icon_smile.gif

tcrema Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:38am
post #3 of

Hey Melissa!
I've done it to to to many times. 2 am is just about when I finish my cakes do to the fact I have to wait until my children are in bed before I even start baking. Good luck I know it's going to turn out fine.

flayvurdfun Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:01pm
post #4 of

Who hasnt done that??? icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

bigcatz Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:09pm
post #5 of

I know exactly how you feel.....things will look better in the morning, you will be able to fix it, and everything will work out fine.

Mjmil7 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 9:25pm
post #6 of

Hi melissablack,

So sorry to hear about your cake. I was up til 2:30 a.m. with a disaster as well. How did your cake turn out and did you post pictures?

Janice

beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:06pm
post #7 of

Ugh. I feel your pain! My writing isn't the best to begin with, and it's always the last thing to do. At that point I just want the cake finished!!

melissablack Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:46pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmil7

Hi melissablack,

So sorry to hear about your cake. I was up til 2:30 a.m. with a disaster as well. How did your cake turn out and did you post pictures?

Janice

I will post a picture when I get my film back. I am still old fashioned.. no digital camera here! icon_razz.gif

The cake turned out alright, the lady said it was beautiful when she came to pick it up. BUT, I had another 'disaster', that I didn't even realize 'till yesterday... I had lost my notebook where I write down all my orders, but figured I could just write the message by memory, well when I found my book yesterday, I realized that I spelled their name wrong!! I feel terrible! I had her spell it to me twice on the phone to make sure, too, when I was taking the order. icon_sad.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:17am
post #9 of

Oh heck, Melissa, don't beat yourself up over it. You may be a cake goddess kiddo, but you are not God and we all makes mistakes as we are not perfect, well not always, haha!
Sorry you had such a rough time of it, it seems to go like that, when things go wrong, doesn't it? Get a good rest, it will get better!
Hugs Squirrelly

diane Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 9:01pm

writing it the hardest part of decorating. i've done the same several times.

Cakepro Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 7:16am

I do piping gel transfer for every message I put on every cake, every time. icon_smile.gif I can choose whatever font I want in MS Word, adjust the size, and flip the image. Print, pattern transfer, and pipe. Easy as...pie? icon_wink.gif

Sorry about your writing disaster....I had a few of those before I decided I will never freehand a message on a cake again.

~ Sherri

MoonicaLeigh Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 5:06pm

I'm So sorry to hear!! But it sounds like most of us have done it at least once or twice 2 am or later. (I thought I was alone) I have one on here that I just about cried because the writing was so bad! I'm sure that you were able to fix it, and I am sure that your customer wasn't nearly as picky about it as you were! I have noticed that customers wont see all of the flaws that I see and pick out in my cakes. I am sure that they were thrilled!!

sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:03pm

Im not sure if you posted it yet, but all your cakes look great to me.

MissBaritone Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:37am

One of the first presents I requsted when I started cakes was a set of Jem letter cutters. I use them for every message I have to put on a cake

ShelbysYummys Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 6:18am

Isn't it sick that we stay up so late to make these cakes and for some reason when we are almost done something happens . I hope they all know the hard work ,love, devotion and sleepless night we put ito our cakes.
Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%