Too Rough With My Buttercream?

Decorating By clink Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 12:01pm by lapazlady

clink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clink Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

Howdy everyone, The last several batches of buttercream I have made (with butter at room temperature) in my Kitchenaid are strange. When I frost the cake, there are hundreds of tiny airbubbles that appear that give me a rough finish on my cake. Yes, I do crank the Kitchen aid up to 4 and walk away from the frosting for a few minutes - is this my problem? Guidance would be appreciated. Thanks, a grateful newbie, Clink

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 6

Yes it could be. The higher you turn it up and the longer you let it mix the more air you are mixing into the icing. Air equals bubbles in icing.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:55am
post #3 of 6

Slow & low is the way to go.

Good Luck! Let us know how your next batch turns out!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:23am
post #4 of 6

Ack! I hate air bubbles. Using the whip attachment results in air bubbles too. Also, try making a large batch, so the paddle is covered by icing - less air gets incorporated that way.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:49am
post #5 of 6

You could also try mixing the icing with a large spatula, sort of in a creaming motion, to get rid of some of the air bubbles once you're done. I had the same problem and this seemed to work for me. icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 6

Slow and low is the way to go. Use the paddle. The whip adds air and is made to do just that. And yes, try a large spatula, using a scooping motion, rubbing the icing against the sides and bottom of the bowl to reduce the air bubbles in the BC you have already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%