Sour Cream Vs Yogurt

Baking By 2winboyz Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 12:09am by mamatina

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 11

I have been using sour cream in a lot of my recipes including the WASC recipe but saw that some prefer to use plain yogurt. Does this alter the taste of texture much? Thank you.

10 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 11

Hi - I have used both sour cream and yogurt. I do not notice a difference in texture and or taste. I tend to use flavored yogurts these days (when using the cake extender recipe) because it adds subtle flavors (my favorite is the coffee yogurt with devils food cake mix).

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 11

I have used both and do not notice a difference in flavor or texture. I think they both add density and moisture to a recipe to the same extent. icon_smile.gif

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much. I love the idea of using flavored yogurt.

mamatina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamatina Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:44am
post #5 of 11

how much yoqurt or sour cream would you add to one boxed cake mix? I love the ideas of using extenders to cake mixes.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:52am
post #6 of 11

The WASC cake which is an extended/enhanced cake recipe is very popular. Here's the expanded flavors version:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Here's a thread with all the cake mix extenders and enhancers:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-187421-.html

HTH

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #7 of 11

I have used both Sour Cream and Yogurt at different times for both the extender recipe and White Almond Sour Cream Cake. And I honestly can't tell much of a difference. I haven't tried this, but I am guessing you could both that equal the amount needed in the recipe. I will have to try the flavored yogurt suggestion that sounds really good!

Happy Baking!

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 11

This is great to know! I've tried using low fat or even fat free sour cream in baking but didn't like the way it turned out. Yogurt is a much better option.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 11

I have tried a few differnt ways and the one I like best is evaporated milk in place of the water. Makes it rise really nice!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 11

I prefer using sour cream. Unless you get a full fat yogurt, I feel like you are missing out on the benefits of the fat in the sour cream., at least in my baking experience.

darkchocolate

mamatina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamatina Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #11 of 11

what great ideas!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%