Ran Out Of Crisco And Used Butter

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 2:03am by mohara

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 1:51am
post #1 of 5

I know of the rule of buttercream with 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 butter.

Well, I was making some icing and I ran out of Crisco. Was short by 1/2 cup. So, guess what. icon_lol.gif I had butter and I used 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) and mix it up.

You know what.... I LOVE HOW NICE IT CAME OUT!!! thumbs_up.gif The texture is nice and silky, not extremely soft, like when you use more butter than 1/2 cup, it looks like it is going to smooth real nice and is off white.

Has anyone done this? icon_smile.gif

Ran out of crisco and completed with butter and not exactly how the recipe calls for?

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 1:56am
post #2 of 5

That's so funny...I have the opposite question!

The buttercream recipe I use is Martha's...all unsalted butter. Just this week I tasted a 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter buttercream and I was SO surprised that the taste was pretty good!! I had expected that "shortening-film-on-the-teeth" taste to it, but it was tasty.

With a pound of unsalted butter in Toronto selling for $5.29 icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ...I'm tempted to do the 1:1 ratio...at least for children's cakes!!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 12:13am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

That's so funny...I have the opposite question!

The buttercream recipe I use is Martha's...all unsalted butter. Just this week I tasted a 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter buttercream and I was SO surprised that the taste was pretty good!! I had expected that "shortening-film-on-the-teeth" taste to it, but it was tasty.

With a pound of unsalted butter in Toronto selling for $5.29 icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ...I'm tempted to do the 1:1 ratio...at least for children's cakes!!

Can you share your Martha's recipe?

I made the 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 butter and found it way too soft. I am used to the creamier but not so soft whole Crisco buttercream. It crusts really good and then you can smooth with paper towel if you want. Or, because it is nice and thick you can smooth pretty good without your icing thinning out too much on you.

I always use regular butter. It has salt in it, but not too salty. I have used salted butter for Swiss buttercream, where it orignally calls for unsalted butter, and it tastes really good too.

So, I would try substituting regular butter for the unsalted on the recipe for Martha and see how it tastes...

Again, can you post your recipe?

PS: this is one I did, Buttercream with 1 1/2 cups of Crisco and 1/2 butter was hard to smooth... icon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, well, I keep on trying ....

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 1:47am
post #4 of 5

The recipe I use is:

12 egg whites at room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups water
2 lbs. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 T vanilla

Whisk egg whites in mixer until frothy (about 20 seconds), add in cream or tartar and mix until whisk just begins to be thick and white, about 30 seconds. Don't whisk until dry and thick or the buttercream won't be nice and smooth looking. Turn off mixer.

Boil the water and sugar together in a saucepan until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and start the mixer on maximum speed. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites, whisking constantly. After the last syrup is incorporated, let the mixer whisk on highest speed still for another 3-4 minutes to insure it is all incorporated.

Turn the mixer off and let the whites cool to room temp. (Sometimes I throw it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes...but NOT longer!) With the mixer on medium, slowly add chunks of the soft butter into the whites...about 1/4 cup every 10 seconds. Add the vanilla and whisk until smooth and even. (It won't look as if it is going to be thick until you've added about
1 1/2 cups of the butter are in there!! Don't worry...it will work!!)

I use the buttercream right away, it chills & freezes well but you must let it come back up to room temperature AND re-whisk it before using it again.

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

The Buttercream for real decorators posted on this site by Lisa is delicious and that is a 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco recipe. It has an awesome flavor!!!! You should try it.

I recently made that recipe for my family and then this weekend I made Calidawn's BC recipe, and my family preferred The BC for decorators hands down.

I recommend it highly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%