Ball Pans????

Decorating By sharitos Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm by leily

sharitos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharitos Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 10

Is there a trick to using the wilton ball pans? I tried to make a basketball, but the two halves did not look like a ball. They looked more like a space ship. Can you please help? How much batter should I use in each half?
Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 10

I use one mix divided between the two. Place them on a cookie sheet in case they overflow, that's better than having them too low.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 10

Hmm.. Are you using the 3D sports ball (comes with two pieces) or are you using the soccer ball pan (comes as one piece)

Take a look at this topic from last month where I explain the difference.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-377953-wilton.html+ball+pan

HTH

sharitos Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for your replies.I have the two piece set. When I leveled the cake the two pieces were too flat. Thats probablly the problem!!! I cut too much!

leily Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #5 of 10

ahh... ok, yep when I use these pans I also cook at 325. I don't know what the directions say but I find if I fill about 3/4 full and bake at a lower temp they rise over the top no problem.

Just make sure you put them on a cookie sheet in case they overflow (trust me on this one icon_redface.gif )

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:58am
post #6 of 10

I do the same as leily. Fill 3/4 and place on a cookie sheet. Heck, it's just easier to handle that way! I let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then carve off the dome while the cake is still in the pan. Then, I turn it out onto a parchment lined cooling rack so the cut side doesn't stick.

sharitos Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

Thanks! Your information will make my nephew really happy when he seeshis cake!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:33am
post #8 of 10

Hi I've used it many times. Don't forget to make your batter thicker for the ball. I would add an extra tbsp of cake flour to the batter or use a good dense batter mix. Make sure it cools as another poster mentioned, in the pan, then remove the dome and let cool again. Cake shrinks when it cools, so it's important to let it maintain it's shape in the pan for the first 10 minutes. icon_wink.gif

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

sharitos Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:48am
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for your much needed tips!!!

leily Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 10

I don't know if it is to late, but I always chill my 3D cakes before stacking. It helps to keep the bottom one from getting too squished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%