Why Sam's Boards Rule!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 26 Sep 2006 , 12:05pm by marcimang

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 48

As many people have, I was using the Wilton brand sheet cake boards. You get about 6 of them for about 4 dollars. NOT CHEAP. And, of course, they had to be wrapped in fancy foil, or tin foil, or something, because the grease from the frosting soaks into them. Then someone here (a dear, sweet lady who lives in my heart forever for this tip!!) turned us on to buying boards from Sam's club. I got a case of 50 for NINE DOLLARS! icon_eek.gif Ok, so I had to use up the last 2 packs of Wilton boards that I had before I cracked into the Sam's case. I decided to try them out au natural, just to see what would happen, and guess what? The grease from the icing doesn't soak into them. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif I AM SO HAPPY!! NO MORE WRAPPING EXPENSIVE BOARDS WITH EXPENSIVE FOIL!!!! I had been pricing other boards online because I was sick of spending so much, but I hadn't ordered any, now I don't have to. I urge all of you who are in the same boat that I was to try these! They even have a pretty decorative scalloped edge. Not too much, just a nice wave to them. Not obtrusive or anything.

47 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 48

Did you get the from the bakery? Did you have to ask for thm, or is it something they have on the shelves? Do they have rounds and other sizes too?

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 48

wow.. so I can just go in there and ask to buy cake boards? or do they have them stocked? How about boxes? will they sell those too??? Thanks for the Info.!!!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 48

hhmmm.....do they have round boards also and boxes???????

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 48

Thanks for sharing that tip. I'll have to swing by Sam's and check out their supplies. Have you found any other great buys at Sam's? detective.gif

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Did you get the from the bakery? Did you have to ask for thm, or is it something they have on the shelves? Do they have rounds and other sizes too?

I am wondering the same thing too, so here is a bump!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 48

You can get 50lbs of powdered sugar!!!! But dang, I need to get a container first, before purchasing that big amount

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 48

I would love to know what size boards you can buy from them, so here's another BUMP! icon_smile.gif

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 48

They have the half sheet boards in the bakery. You do have to ask for them. They also have the half sheet boxes in the bakery but I don't know how much they are. The deli has 16 inch pizza rounds, it is $19 something for those but I don't know how many you get.

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 48

You have to go to the bakery and request them. It's a box of 50 for about 9 dollars, depending on where you live. That is the only size that they have over there... I asked about quarter sheet, but she said they don't do those. Bummer!! You can get other things like powdered sugar in bulk there, but I don't like the quality. To me it makes inferior icing compared to C&H... but if I plan to make any money at this, I am going to HAVE to get over that!! icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: If you get pizza boards you will still have to wrap them, they are not grease free from what I know. I get them at the local cash and carry store and still have to wrap. If anyone finds that Sam's are grease proof, by all means let me know!! I may check them just to be sure. icon_wink.gif

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 48

Thanks for the tip, Melvira, and...

Happy Birthday!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 48

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif What? I have to go check this out!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for that wonderful tip!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 48

Thank you joanmary!! And just to be fair, this information was passed to me from arosstx!! She was so sweet to let us know, I just want to spread the good word!! She has saved me so much time and $!!

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 48

This sounds great! What size boards do you get for the $9?? Also, do you have to call ahead, or will they pull them at request from the bakery counter?

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #15 of 48

Our Sam's club only sells them by the case (150) for about $30. I'm planning on getting a case and using my mat cutter to cut them down to the size I need (1/4 sheet, 6" round, etc.).

I've had a straight mat cutter for several years from my photography days and just found a circle/oval mat cutter on clearance at Hobby Lobby (Michaels also has them) and plan to use that to cut circles.

Only drawback is that the mat cutters make the cut at a 45* angle. While that looks nice for your pictures, may be a bit unusual for cakes. But for the price, who cares! Not only can I get boards affordably, I don't have to take up lots of space in my tiny kitchen storing all different sizes of boards!

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 48

AmyKay, you get the half sheet. I think they are like 15X20 or something like that. For up to a 12x18 cake.

Oh, and you just walk up to the bakery and they'll go grab a box!

AmyKay Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:32pm
post #17 of 48

Great! Thanks so much for the info! I am headed there this weekend!! icon_lol.gif

AmyKay Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 48

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:39pm
post #19 of 48

Thank you!! And you're welcome! I am glad to pass along the good word!

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:46am
post #20 of 48

I called my local Sam's bakery and this is what they told me. The 10" rounds, 150 for $30+, and the 1/2 sheet, 50 for $9. I forgot to ask them about boxes.

Hopefully the price will be the same in your area.

Cecilia

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:59am
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You can get other things like powdered sugar in bulk there, but I don't like the quality. To me it makes inferior icing compared to C&H...

At all of the Sam's Clubs near me, the 50 lb. bags of powdered sugar is C&H. I buy it for royal icing.

Melvira Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:05am
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

At all of the Sam's Clubs near me, the 50 lb. bags of powdered sugar is C&H. I buy it for royal icing.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif What state are you in? If it's close, I'm on my way! I'd end up spending more in gas than buying it in small bags! icon_rolleyes.gif

Man, unless they have changed in the last 2 weeks or so, we can't get the huge bags of C&H... it's some 'professional chef's' brand. I can't remember the exact name. You are SO lucky!!

AmyKay Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 48

I just wanted to say thanks again for the great tip! I went to Sam's this weekend and got a case of 1/2 sheet cake boards (50 of them) for $9.33 plus tax. It was wonderful!! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #24 of 48

Awesome!! I went last week and bought both plastic sheet cake containers and cardboard ones with the window on top! The plastic are so much cheaper there than buying them directly from Reynold's company. Probably because Sam's buys a billion at a time and gets an enormous discount! I also double checked on the Powdered sugar, and there is still no C&H. It's called Bakers and Chefs brand. Bummer. I am so jealous of those who can get the name brand at a discount!! icon_cry.gif

bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:51pm
post #25 of 48

icon_smile.gif Thanks Melvira for posting this great tip (and to arosstx) and to everyone else who researched and added to it. This is the kind of helpful information that makes CC a great place to be a member.

Becky

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:04pm
post #26 of 48

I live in Michigan and get the 50 lb bags of C&H sugar from Costco. I have tried Sam's brand and I agree it is inferior. When I buy the 50 lb bag I seperate it into Ziploc bags in the amount I need for my frosting recipes. I'ts so nice not having to measure it out when I make frosting.

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:15pm
post #27 of 48

I am going to search for the nearest Costco... I SWEAR!! haha! I have tried to find high ratio shortening... NOPE, big bags of C&H... NOPE! And the high ratio shortening online is amazingly expensive!!! ERGH!! icon_mad.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm
post #28 of 48

Here the 50lb is C&H but the 7lb is a Chef brand. I use the 7lb because it is in plastic bags. I don't have to find a large enough container. Also when it is bagged it is clumpier than in plastic. Thanks for the info on the cake boards.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:22pm
post #29 of 48

This is good info to know....I will have to check this out!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:25pm
post #30 of 48

Crud. No 50lb bags here in Iowa. icon_cry.gif

I went to www.Costco.com to find the nearest location... I guess I will have to go visit my sister in Independence, Mo!! Anway, on the website they do not offer Pow. Sugar. Is that a fluke, or am I at the wrong website?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%