Simpson's Cake Challenge

Decorating By melvin01 Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm by 7yyrt

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 32

Okay, just had to put this out there...I know several of you watched the cake challenge last night on Food Network. Was anyone else disappointed in Bronwen for being a bit too full of herself? I didn't think her cake was all that. The spinning cube in the middle was nice but the Marge on the top didn't look professional at all (definitely not her best work). The cake that did win had more interesting things involved, was nicer and I thought looked more like a movie themed idea (like a cardboard cut-out that all the movies have). Bronwen didn't even say that she thought the winning cake was cute, just that her cake should have won. Since her cakes weren't even attached to the donut base, how in the world would they even have transported it? There would have been cake falling everywhere! Very disappointing to see someone who thinks they they have to win every competition and cannot give credit to someone else who had a great cake idea and executed it well. thumbsdown.gif

31 replies
baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 32

I agree. It's funny, sometimes you can tell the outcomes of these things by what people say. At first Bronwen said she was sure she had it. The other girl said was probably going to lose and had been saying for the whole competition Bronwen's the best. That leads me to believe the outcome is going to be the other way around.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 32

I agree with you both. I saw it last night and I thought to myself, "How selfish can one be?" The other competition did a great job. And I LOVED her decorations.

Congrats to her!

babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 32

Well, I was disappointed with all of the cakes, I thought they were all blah. Normally the ones on tv are fantastic.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 32

I agree, I thought she was very full of herself! And I didn't think her cake was that great. Yeah, she had a big donut but other then that I wasn't impressed.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 32

I was disappointed with her attitude myself as well as the overall competition. I agree with the judges that her cake didn't represent the theme well enough. I'm sure the movie is not about an enormous donut. I think that more attention should have been paid to Marge. Maybe she thought that the competition wasn't going to be that great and she didn't think that she needed to produce her best work. There were some mistakes in the winners cake, but her representation was definitely the best.
I'm glad that she won!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 32

Was I watching a different show from everyone else? She said she "felt really great for her" and some other nice things too. I like Bronwen's cake.

I've never seen a structure like that made out of cake. Sure, Mary Maher's was great and I felt deserved to win (at least from the front), but whats the matter with Bronwen being proud of hers and dissapointed she didn't win? She said she felt she deserved it--that's great, she was proud of her cake. She never said Maher's sucked or hers was better.

And at the very least...this was all edited. You see a tiny fraction of what was said and done.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 32

I agree - I don't think there is anything wrong with Her saying she thought hers was better. She gave ample credit to the other woman.

You also have to remember this stuff is taped and edited. The network can spin someone a million different ways - you have no idea what was left on the cutting room floor.

I think her points about the judges were dead on - the doughnut was on the movie poster, but the judges said it wasn't part of the movie concept. The judges are the only bad part, IMHO.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 32

I just commented in another thread about how I didnt like how she made a comment about using templates and stencils . She use to have such a sweet personality I thought, and she still is so talented but she showed herself in a different light this time.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 32

Ok, I will say this again. Bronwen is a member of CC and surely has read these terrible comments. These people spend there own money competing. What competition cake is fully movable??
I chatted with her this morning Via Email.
As far as winning who doesn't want to win. She is being faulted for being talented and for being upset. I would be too. She lost another competition for not having a 360* cake and lost to someone who did the same thing??

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 32

It's for TV everyone! They always have someone made out to be the villian. I think all the cake designs had great potenial and the winning cake was worthy. That said, Bronwen's was also done well. I actually liked this episode as it brought home to me that even professionals of this caliber of ability struggle with their designs and implimentation. We should take hope from that shouldn't we?

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 32

I enjoyed the show... I didn't get the same feeling as others have expressed that Bronwen was "full of herself" - instead, I felt she was excited in the spirit of the competition and proud to be in it (as anyone would be).

On another note, I felt badly for the one who didn't finish - Bart would have looked great on that skateboard!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 32

Okay, now I'm feeling guilty about my previous post. I really didn't even consider that, of coarse, shows are edited like crazy. I'm sure that they focus a lot on the negative. I was just surprised b/c she always seems so cheery & pleasant, but she's human I suppose. She was disappointed b/c she lost & the camera caught that moment of disappointment. I have a lot of respect for her work and think that she creates beautiful cakes. I'm sure that I could never be @ her calibur regardless of how many years of experience that I gain.
So, I'm sorry if I've offended her or anyone else.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 32

I loved Bronwen's AND the winning cake. I think it is amazing how she works and never seemed to get flustered. The spinning spotlight was really cool too! That said, I just think the winning cake was really neat because they took time to focus on every character. Krusty was the best! I wasn't sure who would win until they announced it. Both cakes were tops in my book, and I just WISH I could make a cake like that, EVER, let alone in 8 hrs! icon_smile.gif

Amanda114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda114 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 32

I think what everyone is trying to get across is that BW does not have that *sweet* and *just here to have fun* persona in this episode that so many of us love her for. Sort of like when she won the tip challenge at the OK show and said " I won... maybe I will buy some tips!~" That was so funny.
I think that the uttter shock that she didn't win was what seemed to be in poor taste. Yes her cake was technically a marvel, but the cake that won better represented more aspects of the movie.

Look at it this way BW... at least a)you finished your cake and b) you didn't have a mini meltdown mid competition!

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 32

I personally like the fact that she was being honest. She credited the winner for her cake and said she was happy for her but for herself it sucked. I like honesty and I'm glad she didn't feel like she had to be fake for TV. She worked very hard and knows she's talanted and deserved to win. She didn't say she deserved it more, just that she deserved it. I happen to agree with her on that!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:05pm
post #17 of 32

i loved bronwens cake and would have loved to see her win. I didnt feel she was cocky. i think anyone would be just a little mad at loosing 10 grand.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #18 of 32

I agree with some of you in that it wasn't my favorite challenge-- I didn't really like any of the cakes that much-- but then I don't like the simpsons that much either. Having not seen three of the competitors before, I didn't know what to expect from them--- only from Bronwen. She had a flawless execution of her cake-- you could see that it was thought out, planned.

The other competitors did not have their cakes that thought out. I wanted to cry for the guys doing the Homer statue-- I've been in their shoes-- just because you think it will work, doesn't mean that it will... I liked that they recovered though (mostly) Debbie's cake had the theme down, I think that had it been finished it would have been a real competition... it's a shame that she couldn't finish it anyway. As for Bronwen's cake, I liked the donut Idea.... but personally, I think it would have been a better movie respresentation if the donut had been smaller, and Marge much larger, maybe even sitting on the donut... I dunno-- but I was not surprised that she did not win. With that said, I WAS surprised that the other cake won-- I thought that the 360 aspect would have thrown it to BW. I liked the tips that i learned from the winning cake-- but I didn't like the Krusty idea either.

And I stayed up for that? Definitly won't tune in for re-runs!

baka4lyfe20 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Ok, I will say this again. Bronwen is a member of CC and surely has read these terrible comments. These people spend there own money competing. What competition cake is fully movable??
As far as winning who doesn't want to win. She is being faulted for being talented and for being upset. I would be too. She lost another competition for not having a 360* cake and lost to someone who did the same thing??

Hey, can I have her contact too? I would like to talk to her also. Not to be mean to her, obviously. That's too cool. Is she on here often?

moydear77 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:11pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Hey, can I have her contact too? I would like to talk to her also. Not to be mean to her, obviously. That's too cool. Is she on here often?

She has a myspace URL. I am certain she has been since these post have started. She is GOOD people in my book.

baka4lyfe20 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #21 of 32

But you said she's part of cake central. Did you mean email as in Myspace email?

moydear77 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

But you said she's part of cake central. Did you mean email as in Myspace email?

Her username is Bronwen

You can Pm her on CC or you can find her Myspace URL

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #23 of 32

You all must be getting jaded by seeing all these amazing cakes on tv, that you weren't blown away, LOL.

I really liked them all and sure wish the one gal had had time to finish her cake, I am sure it would have been amazing if she had had enough time.

I thought Bronwen was fine. She totally said she was happy for the other gal, she just thought she nailed it with her cake. I like the fact that she didn't act like she wasn't disappointed.
Come on, you all would have been disappointed too if it had been you instead. : ) I still think she is fabulous.

Wish she would come to Alaska and do some classes. : ) Hey, its only 70 degrees here right now if that helps.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #24 of 32

I personally liked Bronwen's cake. I liked the winning cake as well. I had seen other cakes not win due to the 360 degree aspect though.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:17am
post #25 of 32

I liked all the cakes and I am in awe of their work. I appreciate Bronwen's honesty - I think she said what I personally would have been thinking.

On a side note, I was in the local cake decorating store and Bronwen was in there shoppng and I couldn't wait to call Dh and tell him who I saw at the store. He had no idea who she was and thought I was crazy for getting so excited about it. She is cute as ever and I would love to be in the kitchen with her!

baka4lyfe20 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:10am
post #26 of 32

That's cool! Did you say hi/talk to her?

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:27am
post #27 of 32

I met Bronwen at ICES in Grapevine Texas, and she is just a real sweet, fun person. She rocks!!! If you get the chance to take a class with her, don't miss it. icon_cool.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:27am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

i loved bronwens cake and would have loved to see her win. I didnt feel she was cocky. i think anyone would be just a little mad at loosing 10 grand.

I liked Bronwen's cake. I think she did nail it. Her Marge's smile was a little on the grimace side...but she made that thing BY hand!! Amazing!

she had all the characters on the hexagon cake in the center of the donut and it spun and she had the "premier" spotlights that actually worked. That just screamed "MOVIES" to me.

They started ragging on her from the beginning, they mentioned that the characters colors were not consistant, WAAAAAAA? I thought she nailed each and every one and she also free hand cut them!

The winning cake was awesome and I would've had a tough time as a judge, but, that cake did NOT have a 360 view.

Bronwen's had a little more of a 360 view with the spining hexagon and the Marge on top.

But, whatever!

I'm sure that no matter what, she knows she is a talented woman and secure in her talents and I would give my eye teeth to take her class in Las Vegas next month!

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:34am
post #29 of 32

I agree Bronwen is such a sweet woman. I got a chance to meet her and take a photo with ehr at the celebrity cake competition her ein Nashville ... and she stopped what she was doing just to say hi and take a photo with me, and then took small breaks in between decorating to take photos with other people. I know if I lost $10k on a cake i thought was a winning cake I would be upset too. I still think just as highly of her as I did before

Amanda

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:47am
post #30 of 32

I thought they all had great ideas ans was disappointed that they didn't all get finished! I felt the judging was a bit odd. I loved the idea of the big donut! I felt like it personafied the movie adverts best but maybe not the film itsself but who had seen it at that point. Who knows. . .I always love to watch the talent in these shows but remember that it's just that. . .a show. Editing does wonders. I was surprised that Food Network has fallen into the trap. the Next Food Network Star made me feel that way too. It's almost like they weren't happy unless all of the contestants cried and had these "break through" life moments. I felt bad for them. Than's my .02

Elle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%