Ugh - Mountains Of Cupcake Gunk - What Am I Missing Here?

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 9:30am by mbarbi

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:29am
post #1 of 21

When I look at photos of cupcakes that look GORGEOUS I'm often left wondering - ah yes! but does anyone actually eat all that gunk on top? Sometimes the amount of topping is about half or more the total volume of the cake. I've never had the nerve to make these cupcakes as I can envisage people scraping the topping off and discretely putting it in plant pots...

So what am I missing? Is the topping something gorgeous? I'm assuming it's buttercream and there's no way I could eat all that. Please let me in on the secret so I can make similarly frothy and gorgeous looking cakes!

20 replies
dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:40am
post #2 of 21

i use pastry pride for most of my decorating (which is total childsplay compared to your gorgeous creations) it's a nondairy whipped topping--a lot like whipped cream, but more stable. it's light enough not to be totally overwhelming on top of a cupcake.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:42am
post #3 of 21

Well, I eat it. : )

crgsnbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crgsnbrown Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:06am
post #4 of 21

I make a lot of cupcakes, and I find that people who don't eat cake as regularly as we do tend to LOVE the frosting and generally gooble it right up on cupcakes. Some people even lick it off first and then eat the cake lol

emmascakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:42am
post #5 of 21

So what are you using for the 'frosting'? I couldn't even begin to lick off that much buttercream without chundering.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:21am
post #6 of 21

I do make mine with bc and most people eat at least 1/2 of the frosting...but if people scrape it off it doesn't bother me they just don't like icing or bc icing anyways JMO

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 21

Most people I know eat the icing. I use buttercream.

crgsnbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crgsnbrown Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 21

I usually use a cream cheese buttercream, most people tell me they could eat it with a spoon lol I think it's just a matter of if one really enjoys buttercream or not. Some people simple do not care for it, others of us are just so darn sick of it from caking up a storm lol and then there's those who just love it and only eat it on special occasions so they enjoy a big blob once every few months or so.

Rachel

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 21

I tend to try to do more modest mounds if I am just using buttercream, because it would make me cringe to try to eat that much buttercream as well. Uck!

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 21

Emma,
I find when I make cupcakes (rarely) that about half of the b/c is left in the paper cup. Pretty to look at but a sugar coma waiting to happen. I could just see the blobs of frosting strategically hidden in plants! HAHAHA
Oh and you are in England! I just now noticed that! My 3 step-kids live in there. Must be nice!

Elle

Valentinemommy2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valentinemommy2002 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 21

The frosting is my favorite part!! Many times I will eat the top part and toss out the bottom half of the cake part. My kids typically lick off just the frosting! Every Friday at my house is considered "cupcake Friday"...a tradition we started when they started preschool and the local bakery had a special price on cupcakes only on Fridays.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 21

I find people eat the frosting on cupcakes. I use my regular buttercream recipe but add a cup or 2 of marshmallow fluff and cut down on the sugar on the BC. The marshmallow fluff makes it lighter and fluffier. I am not one to eat sweets but when I make these, I tend to finish off the leftovers! Yummy!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 21

Gunk?

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:51am
post #14 of 21

I'm not a big frosting lover myself. I prefer to eat plain cake. To me that tastes so much better than a big glob of frosting. Although I do like the whipped frosting. Not as sweet as BC.

emmascakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:52am
post #15 of 21

What's whipped frosting? I am in the UK so I don't always know what we're on about - for example, frosting? What is that? Is it a generic term for topping or is it an actual product/recipe?

CakeBreaks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBreaks Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #16 of 21

I like to cut off 2/3's of the cc and eat 1/3 cc with all the gunk-whatever it may be.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #17 of 21

Speaking of cupcake gunk, I'm sure you have seen those grocery store cupcake 'cake' things that have at least two inches of frosting on the cupcakes not to mention the spaces in between each cupcake top...ick...too much!

I personally would eat a couple of bites of the icing on cakes, cupcakes, etc and leave some behind simply because I didn't want all those calories, but I still wanted the CAKE icon_razz.gif!!!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

What's whipped frosting? I am in the UK so I don't always know what we're on about - for example, frosting? What is that? Is it a generic term for topping or is it an actual product/recipe?

Emma,

Whipped frosting usually refers to something that is similar to sweetened whipped cream but more stable. Some people use actual cream, and some make/buy a non-dairy version.

Frosting and icing are interchangable terms, depending on what region of the U.S. a person is from. They don't refer to a specific recipe. I hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:

Whipped frosting is like BC, but is more like whipped cream. It's not as sweet. And yes frosting is a term for topping. Frosting/Topping is BC. HTH.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:13am
post #20 of 21
Quote:

I can envisage people scraping the topping off and discretely putting it in plant pots...

LOL. Me too!

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:30am
post #21 of 21

i just made cupcakes and frosted it with imbc...everyone loved the taste...i also didn't put much icing on top coz i know not everyone would like to eat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%