Vanilla Caramel Coffee-Mate And Another Coffee-Mate Comment

Baking By southerncake Updated 24 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm by tatetart

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 24

Hi everyone,

After seeing all the raves about the White Caramel Cake, I had to stop by the grocery store and get some Vanilla Caramel creamer.

I went to three grocery stores - two didn't carry that flavor at all and Lowe's Foods had it, but only in Sugar-Free.

Has anyone ever tried the Sugar-Free? I am going to go ahead and try it tonight, but I am worried about it.

Also, the CoffeeMate website is www.verybestcoffee.com. They have a few recipes there also using some of these products. I printed off the Cappuccino Cheesecake and Mocha Dream Cake to try soon.

23 replies
madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 24

I think it would be fine. I substituted 1/2 cup of the water with 1/2 cup Vanilla caramel creamer and it made my cake a tad bit sweet, but tasted wonderful. So maybe the sugar free will be a good thing icon_smile.gif

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcromwell

I think it would be fine. I substituted 1/2 cup of the water with 1/2 cup Vanilla caramel creamer and it made my cake a tad bit sweet, but tasted wonderful. So maybe the sugar free will be a good thing icon_smile.gif

I wanted to try this cake next week for a family birthday. I was thinking of substituting it for the water. Do you think there would be enough flavor if you did half creamer/ half water?

I think the sugar free will be fine. Is it sweetened with Splenda? I don't think it will be noticed at all in a very sugary cake. icon_smile.gif

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 24

I JUST baked a white caramel cake with the sugar free. That was all my store had.

Unfortunately, I also used the flower nail, so there is no top to lop off. I only used one box mix for a 9 x 13 pan, and I don't feel that the layer is tall enough, so I will make another cake using either 1 and 1/2 mixes or the cake extender.

The flower nail also caught as I was flipping the cake out of the pan, so a little chunk came off. Of course I had to taste it. It is very good, not too sweet. I'll just go cut off a chunk and have a real taste since I won't be using this layer. I'll be back shortly to give my full opinion, but I think it is going to be very yummy.

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 24

My store didn't have a regular caramel one but they did have vanilla caramel in the bigger containers. I also bought a hazelnut one and an amaretto one to try in cakes. I didn't use a flower nail or bake even strips or anything, but something about the creamer in there made me cakes come out perfectly level. I tried it in a butter cake and it was GOOD!

eriksmom Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 24

ok, I tasted the white cake with vanilla caramel (sugar free). Not bad at all. Wish I would be there to taste it frosted. Anyway, the sugar free stuff isn't bad. It's not too sweet. Kind of a mild, subtle flavor, but I liked it.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 24

How much are you all adding? Is it in place of another ingredient?

eriksmom Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

How much are you all adding? Is it in place of another ingredient?

I used 2 TBSP. added to the mix. I have no idea if I was supposed to add anything else.

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 24

HI!!! I am in Virginia, and I went to Krogers, Walmart and Food Lion, and they all had the Vanilla Caramel but ONLY in sugar free! Does it come regular?? So, I bought the sugar free and made the cake, I used Duncan Hines French Vanilla, and it was very YUMMY!!!!! Best cake so far!!!!!

I made two 8x3 layers and filled with chocolate mousse, and iced with regular buttercream. IT WAS LUCIOUS!!!!!!

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 24

Yes it does come in regular.

I got mine at Walmart.

I used this in a white cake mix for my Wilton class cake this week. I ate some of the top when leveling, OMG it is delicious!!!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 24

Just want to remind everyone that if your making a cake with sugar free ingredients, make sure to tell your clients. I did not even think of this until one day a CC member mentioned that since a person is ordering a cake they aren't thinking of any sugar free ingredients in it and some people are intollerent to it. I know I have a Aunt who is allergic to aspertame. Just thought I would mention it, since I hadn't even thought of that myself. icon_lol.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #12 of 24

I wonder why so many stores only have the sugar free??

Also, I am speaking of the powdered version.

As for the aspertame -- I am one of the aspertame-allergy people. A Diet-Coke sends me into a migraine for days! I checked the sugar-free Coffee-Mate before I bought it and it has no aspertame. I work for a doctor (who has a special interest in allergy) and sent him the ingredient list to see if there should be a problem. Hopefully he will let me know soon!

On the Coffee-Mate website, if you print any recipes do NOT use the printer-friendly version. On my computer it left a lot of things out on the ingredient lists!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:51am
post #13 of 24

Do you use the liquid or powdered creamer? I have the liquid cinnamom Vanilla creamer. YUMMY. I am going to the website for the mocha cake recipe. I want to try it for my coffee addicted daughter's birthday.

darlene_000 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 24

I figured the original person used the powdered creamer... but it was more expensive than the liquid creamer, and I was just trying it for one cake so I got the liquid creamer. It made the cake very moist!

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 24

I must have missed another post on this fun find. Please fill in the gaps for me. icon_confused.gif Liq.or powder? In place of oil, H2O, or just extra?
Can it be used in icing also, have you tried it with good results? Powder used for icing a guess so no need to fridge it.
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcromwell

I wanted to try this cake next week for a family birthday. I was thinking of substituting it for the water. Do you think there would be enough flavor if you did half creamer/ half water?

I think the sugar free will be fine. Is it sweetened with Splenda? I don't think it will be noticed at all in a very sugary cake. icon_smile.gif

I think half creamer and half water might be too much flavor. I could really taste the creamer when I substituted 1/2 cup of the water with creamer. The box called for (I think) 1 1/3 C water so I did 1/2 C liquid creamer and filled to the 1 1/3 C line with water. Of course, it's a matter of personal taste. I used the french vanilla cake, which I've never tried before, so it could have been that flavor makes a sweeter cake anyway. I know....I'm no help icon_smile.gif

aaversa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaversa Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 24

So I am wondering what is everyone filling their cakes with? I see that tiffy76620 used chocolate mousse? Anyone use something different? I am going to give this cake a try this weekend and was curious as to what to fill it with....that's if it makes it to that stage before I eat it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 24

Stylishbite,
I have used only the liquid creamer and I use it in conjunction with the water that is called for. ex: if 1 1/4 cups of water are asked for, I do 1 cup water, 1/4 cup creamer. It adds a wonderful moisture, texture and an amazing flavor..not too overpowering, but you can tell theres just a "little something" there. I have also used it in my buttercream, again, in place of water and also to thin down. Flavor is incredible! I can't wait til the holidays when they come out with eggnog, gingerbread, etc.

I LUV these creamers!! I can't imagine doing a cake without them. btw...the first one I tried was for a french vanilla cake...I made it with french vanilla creamer in both the cake and icing...the girl went crazy. She ate all the icing...THEN the cake!!

stylishbite Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 24

Charlotte
THANK YOU.
Do you feel like the icing needs to be kept chilled with the creamer in it?
How long would rec. a client keep the cake before it expires?
My sales slips have a fill in the blank date that says: consume by_____.
Have you kept one at home for more than a day and it was okay?

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:28pm
post #20 of 24

I made a white cake with the vanilla/carmel creamer (powdered). The scraps were lovely. I am going to make a caramel filling (cooking consedensed milk) and then ice with regular buttercream.

darlene_000 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:11pm
post #21 of 24

monizcel, thats what I did for mine. I made a caramel filling by boiling a can of condensed milk (My fav caramel ever!!), but I mixed it with some BC before I filled it icon_smile.gif

Yummy

stylishbite Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:43pm
post #22 of 24

Here's the real deal from IN.
I couldn't wait, so I tried it today. I used french vanilla DH and Vanilla Chai Spice Nestle creamer. Two tumbs up!! I used about 1/3 cup creamer in place of water, and reduced the oil just a touch.
For the first time ever I also made IMBC. Boy that's alot of butter. I used meringue powder instead of egg whites, so I'm not sure if the lemoney taste is due to that or if that's just the way it taste. I liked it, but the lemon flavor (I didn't add lemon, I added vanilla) of the icing didn't mix as well with the cake, but I did like them both, just not together. I may re-whip it later and try to add some coffee flavor to it. What do you think? Will the lemon taste go away or just make it taste weird? Coffee was the only thing I could think that would be strong enough to flavor over and also blend with the Chai spice.
Thanks to all for this find and for sharing!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:13pm
post #23 of 24

I just want to point out that even though the bottle says you can't - you CAN freeze the liquid CoffeeMate coffee creamers...
I've done it ever since they came out in the cardboard containers, and the plastic ones freeze too (they bulge a little, but never had one pop).
Buy them when they are on sale; freeze 'em up, thaw 'em out, shake 'em up, and use 'em.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylishbite

For the first time ever I also made IMBC. Boy that's alot of butter. I used instead of egg whites, so I'm not sure if the lemoney taste is due to that or if that's just the way it taste.

IMBC doesn't have a lemony flavor. It has a smooth sweet buttery flavor.

I am guessing that is the meringue powder giving it a lemony flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%