Candy Melt Question

Sugar Work By debbie2881 Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm by debbie2881

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 13

ok i hope this is the right place to post. when i bought my crock pot it came with a mini pot for melting cheeses and such. i was wondering if it would be ok to melt candy melts in the mini pot?? its electric. Thanks.

12 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 13

it should be okay to keep it warm, i'm not sure i'd try to melt it in it, but maybe transfer it after melted to keep warm & melted--i don't know, i've never tried it--but i have one so i'll have to now--thanks

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 13

I bet it would. Do you know how hot (temperature wise) it gets? I have a small chocolate melting pot and it doesn't get very hot. I would try it, keep stirring them and watch them to make sure the sides don't get too hot.

debbie2881 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 13

i'm not sure how hot it gets, i've had it for about 3 years and never used it. i'll have to dig up the book that came with it and see what it says. its supposed to melt cheese for dipping so i dont know.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 13

It should! It gets hot enough after a while to burn Velvetta dip........
I wouldn't keep the lid on - I'm afraid condensation might dip in it.

debbie2881 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 13

cowdex do you think there is a chance that it might burn the chocolate?

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:29am
post #7 of 13

Don't leave it in there (ON) for hours. CHeese dip does great but after 6 hours it's toast!

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:50am
post #8 of 13

hrmm...thats definitely something worth trying. i wonder if you can do it without the little pot?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:53am
post #9 of 13

Well we have used Crock pots to melt chocolate and had no problemw with it. We use it when we are making heaps of chocolates as you can have more melted chocolate to use and it stays melted for awhiel wthn out having to remelt like if you do it in the microwave or in a double bolier.

anoccasionalchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoccasionalchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 13

Hi! I melt my candy melts in the microwave in a microwave safe plastic bowl in 30 second intervals. This works GREAT. I make TONS of candy. (http://www.anoccasionalchocolate.com) Then to keep it warm, I place my frying pan on LOW and put two towels down on it, then place the plastic bowl on it. It keeps it a nice temperature for dipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2881

ok i hope this is the right place to post. when i bought my crock pot it came with a mini pot for melting cheeses and such. i was wondering if it would be ok to melt candy melts in the mini pot?? its electric. Thanks.

debbie2881 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 13

the mini pot did work, it melted the chocolate very quickly. the only problem i had was that the white candy melts does not get pourable but i think i read that here before. i even put some crisco and it still wouldnt pour off the spoon. it would be hard to use it to do petit fours which i would have liked to do.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 10:46am
post #12 of 13

The only time I have found the white melts don't pour is when the White melts are a bit on the old side and if you add some new/fresh white melts its works just fine

debbie2881 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 13

hmm i bought it only about a week before, maybe it was in the store for a bit. do you add anything else to liquify?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%